FCL Orioles 2023

Tony-OH

Two weeks in, the FCL O’s are 4-6, but they’ve played worse than that.  They are 12th/16 in runs/game at 5.30 vs. league average 6.11.   Their pitching staff is 12th in ERA at 5.90 but 14th in runs allowed per game at 7.30.  As you might guess from the ERA/runs allowed discrepancy, they are 15th in fielding percentage at .947 compared to league average .958.   Age-wise, the hitters at 19.5 are league average, while the pitchers at 20.5 are slightly younger than the 20.9 average.

Offensively, there are some bright spots, as 19-year old Maikol Hernandez sits at .885 OPS and 18-year old Braylin Tavera at .847.   Nice to see these two former big bonus babies doing well.   As discussed, 20-year old Rolphy Cruz was promoted to Delmarva.  

On the pitching side, only two pitchers have thrown 10+ innings.  19-year old Zach Showalter posted an 0.90 ERA in his 10 innings with 14.4 K/9 and a 1.100 WHIP and apparently is headed to Delmarva.  20-year old Luis De Leon has a 2.70 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, and 12.8 K/9 in 13.1 IP.   Nobody else has thrown more than 7 innings yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m glad to see Hernandez playing well. Hopefully this is a sign he’s putting it all together. Time will tell. He was another guy that really stood out with the bat (along with Willems and Basallo) when I spent a full day at Twin Lakes back in early March watching minor league campers.

Also, glad to see Elias read my post back on June 10th, suggesting Showalter wouldn’t spend much more time in Sarasota! 😂😉

• Upvote 1

Aneudis Mordán might be someone worth keeping an eye on. He's playing Catcher and has 3 HR, 3 2B and a 7/7 BB K ratio in 9 games for the FCL O's. Thats alot of production in 9 games.

Baserunners are 8-1 against him trying to steal. He's also played 1B 3 times this year.

On 6/26/2023 at 3:44 PM, jabba72 said:

Aneudis Mordán might be someone worth keeping an eye on. He's playing Catcher and has 3 HR, 3 2B and a 7/7 BB K ratio in 9 games for the FCL O's. Thats alot of production in 9 games.

Baserunners are 8-1 against him trying to steal. He's also played 1B 3 times this year.

Impressive day for Mordan yesterday. Hit the ball hard 4 out of 5 AB's, got robbed by the Braves 3rd baseman on a great play or would've had 4 hits. Haven't seen him catch, played 1st yesterday. Deleon has some serious life on his fastball, hit 96 multiple times and was sustaining it all the way to the 5th inning. He needs some work on his command, but with his frame and a little better use of his lower body in his delivery, I believe he might be able to add more velocity.

For people hoping for a resurgence from M Hernandez, didn't see anything yesterday suggesting it's on the horizon.

Stowers looks like he's ready to get back to Norfolk, lined both hits to right with authority

Edited by Triple Crown
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Triple Crown said:

Impressive day for Mordan yesterday. Hit the ball hard 4 out of 5 AB's, got robbed by the Braves 3rd baseman on a great play or would've had 4 hits. Haven't seen him catch, played 1st yesterday. Deleon has some serious life on his fastball, hit 96 multiple times and was sustaining it all the way to the 5th inning. He needs some work on his command, but with his frame and a little better use of his lower body in his delivery, I believe he might be able to add more velocity.

For people hoping for a resurgence from M Hernandez, didn't see anything yesterday suggesting it's on the horizon.

Stowers looks like he's ready to get back to Norfolk, lined both hits to right with authority

As for Maikol Hernandez there’s no doubt he’s made a lot of progress from last year.  Just look at the numbers.   Whether he’s a legit prospect now is another question but a lot of the numbers are encouraging.

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

As for Maikol Hernandez there’s no doubt he’s made a lot of progress from last year.  Just look at the numbers.   Whether he’s a legit prospect now is another question but a lot of the numbers are encouraging.

He’s had 1 hit in his last 18 at bats over a 5-game stretch.  That’s not encouraging.  I wonder if he’s been nursing some injuries - he didn’t play for a few days prior to yesterday.  

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s had 1 hit in his last 18 at bats over a 5-game stretch.  That’s not encouraging.  I wonder if he’s been nursing some injuries - he didn’t play for a few days prior to yesterday.  

Half of his hits are for extra bases and he had 7 walks verses 11 K’s heading into today.   All vast improvements over the last two years.

• 3 weeks later...

Estrada finally made his return to the lineup yesterday, going 2-3 with a 2B and a BB.

Also, 18 year old OF Thomas Sosa has put together a really nice run of late. Pretty nice overall stat line he’s put up 291/391/527/918. 16:8 K:BB about 70 PAs so he walks a decent amount, but needs to keep those Ks in check. 

DL Hall showing up in a boxscore today got me noodling around the complex numbers a little bit.

Braylin Tavera's not hitting much, but he is 5th out of 72 guys in BB/K ratio about 100 PA along.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=17&stats=bat&qual=y&type=1&team=all&season=2023&seasonEnd=2023&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=false&players=&sort=7,1

Looking like he'll be the Basallo exciting one next year at Delmarva if he can make them in the spring.

Maikol Hernandez's repeating FCL not great - maybe a glimmer is he isn't striking out as much as last year.

58 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

There hasn’t been much chatter this year below Delmarva, is there anyone worth getting excited about?

Not yet but Braylin Tavera, Thomas Sosa, Aron Estrada, and Leandro Arias are all holding there own at 18 years old in the FCL and highly regarded.   At that age, sometimes you get a breakout and sometimes you don’t.   One of those could emerge at Delmarva next year.   Right now, Kevin Guerrero, 19, who we got from the Marlins is hot and got his 3rd homer today.   One of the worst hitters I’ve ever seen on video at 18 last year in the FCL.   You never know but we have some talent down there.