Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

28 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I never said they made no mistakes.  I’m not even trying to convince you that your opinion is wrong.  I’m stating that I think your view has hindsight fallacies.  I’ve stated why.  I know from previous post that you are never wrong.  Now I’m moving on.  

I’m not operating out of hindsight because these are things I wanted and talked about a lot on here. I wanted improvements and an actual commitment by ownership. Others on here didn’t care about that because “we weren’t ready”. Those people would be using hindsight, not me.

Hindsight would be me saying we should have signed Bassitt, which isn’t entirely true. He was someone I was ok with but didn’t really advocate, especially as much as Eovaldi.  Bassitt has been pretty good but wasn’t a top target for me.

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Is Eduardo Rodriguez a Hall of Fame contender? Is he not available?

Would you rather have him or Quintana?

Eduardo is a tricky one because he may or may not opt out on the last three years of his contract.  I can't see the O's trading for him unless they're sure he opts out; otherwise those last three seasons make it more difficult to assess his trade value.  Also, he hasn't pitched as well since he came back from the IL.

Quintana has pitched well since he's come back but on a very small sample size.  I'm sure the Tigers I'm sure are asking for a decent amount more for Rodriguez than the Mets are for Quintana.  I think that makes Quintana a more realistic option, though yeah I think I'd rather have E Rod.  I think it's more likely other teams will outbid the O's for ERod, though unlikely for Quintana.

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

Eduardo is a tricky one because he may or may not opt out on the last three years of his contract.  I can't see the O's trading for him unless they're sure he opts out; otherwise those last three seasons make it more difficult to assess his trade value.  Also, he hasn't pitched as well since he came back from the IL.

Quintana has pitched well since he's come back but on a very small sample size.  I'm sure the Tigers I'm sure are asking for a decent amount more for Rodriguez than the Mets are for Quintana.  I think that makes Quintana a more realistic option, though yeah I think I'd rather have E Rod.  I think it's more likely other teams will outbid the O's for ERod, though unlikely for Quintana.

Assuming he stays healthy and doesn't have some sort of complete meltdown he's opting out.

Even if he doesn't, there is nothing stopping the O's from trading him.

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

Definately an overpay IMO. But yet, that's still probably something like it would take to pry them away. Which is why we won't do it.

Might be an overpay but I wouldn't rate Hall at 14.7 right now.

In fact I'm so lukewarm on Hall I'm not sure it's even an overpay.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Might be an overpay but I wouldn't rate Hall at 14.7 right now.

In fact I'm so lukewarm on Hall I'm not sure it's even an overpay.

I think it's fair to distribute some of that 14.7 over to Armbruester and McDermott and it would still balance out similarly. I think they should be more like a minimum of 4 each. I'd be willing to bet some GMs out there find Amrbruester interesting, and to be right up there on par with Povich and McDermott.

I don't think that's an overpay at all. We get the best starter and best reliever on the market, albeit rentals. We have to give up something if we are going to get something. We keep all the guys who actually have a future here (that are anywhere near close to the majors). I'd rather trade Norby for a player with years of control, yet that trade puts us toe to toe against anyone not in the state of Georgia. 

Edited by G54377

BTV is I believe for the most part 2 guys.    They also do a podcast - they are realistic about the limitations of the algorithm just ballparking a number for everybody.    They've also explained the algorithm I believe does not take into account "the October bonus" - it just calculates net on field value minus salary owed for the remainder of the Player's regular season contract term.

That puts a Hader number based on ~20 Aug-Sep innings, and while any Club can use those, what they really want are those 5-15 October innings.    Even the BTV owner operators would tell you as Gary Thorne would to Enjoy responsibly.

Hader is at ~2.9 right now and so are a gazillion B prospects - he ain't going for one of them.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think the Padres are going to let the O's trade them Hall twice in the same trade.

There was once an NFL trade where a team (I think maybe the Redskins) traded a draft pick that they had already traded in another deal.  Trade was either reworked or voided.  Don't remember exactly.  There was also a MLB trade where a guy was traded for a player to be named later -- that turned out to be himself!

Edited by Number5