Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

BAL trades

LHP- DL Hall, OF- Stowers, INF- Prieto, RHP McDermott

for

COL- LHP- Suter (rental) and OF- Grichuk (rental). 

Does that get it done? Is that worth it for us? Stowers has no place on this team. Hall is running out of time before he has little or no value. Prieto is blocked. McDermott is a sweetener.

On the other side: Grichuk crushes lefties and has historically balled out in Camden Yards. Granted, he's gotten a bit lucky this year with BABIP. That said, it gives us insurance for Mullins/Hicks and gives us a bat that can counter the tough lefties. Suter is an experienced LHP that can pitch the 7th and give Cano some rest. 

It’s annoying knowing we could have signed guys to fix the issues we have and now we have to trade assets to get them. It’s a shame these last few offseasons that the FO and, more importantly, ownership haven’t believed in this team more to invest more money into areas of need.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, G54377 said:

BAL trades

for

Does that get it done? Is that worth it for us? Stowers has no place on this team. Hall is running out of time before he has little or no value. Prieto is blocked. McDermott is a sweetener.

On the other side: Grichuk crushes lefties and has historically balled out in Camden Yards. Granted, he's gotten a bit lucky this year with BABIP. That said, it gives us insurance for Mullins/Hicks and gives us a bat that can counter the tough lefties. Suter is an experienced LHP that can pitch the 7th and give Cano some rest. 

That sounds awful for us

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s annoying knowing we could have signed guys to fix the issues we have and now we have to trade assets to get them. It’s a shame these last few offseasons that the FO and, more importantly, ownership haven’t believed in this team more to invest more money into areas of need.

I share in your frustration too. 

1 minute ago, G54377 said:

BAL trades

for

if DL Hall can't get you both of those guys alone then he already has no value. Rental RP that are not considered among elite RPs & a throw in OF do not cost, such as Fujinami's cost when the A's had the card to play "look at his numbers since June" 

Is DL Hall's value still that high? We are talking about a 24 year old with a career minor league ERA above 4. He has good stuff and misses bats, but has never really shown he can control it. I thought I was overrating our guys. I'm surprised the response is WE would be giving up too much. Especially in the projected market we are seeing. Interesting.

Edit- I'm probably selling Prieto short here if anything.

Edited by G54377

7 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Is DL Hall's value still that high? We are talking about a 24 year old with a career minor league ERA above 4. He has good stuff and misses bats, but has never really shown he can control it. I thought I was overrating our guys. I'm surprised the response is WE would be giving up too much. Especially in the projected market we are seeing. Interesting.

I think it's higher than we think it is. We all have Hall fatigue. But he's still one of the best pitching prospects in our farm and I think recognized as such across the league. Teams understand he's had injuries and walk issues, but he is healthy and working on velocity. 

He certainly has less value than he did a year or 2 ago, but I think here in Birdland we're just kind of sick of talking about this guy and whatever weird new plan the Orioles have him on. He's honestly a perfect change of scenery guy. 

For me he's a lot like Baumann a few years ago where it was plainly obvious they needed to rip the band-aid off and make him a full time reliever, but for whatever reason we keep saying he's a starter. 

Edited by interloper

Who would you trade for JP Sears? Oakland is garbage and in a long term rebuild, so he could be available despite being under control for many years. We’ve dealt with Oakland twice in the past year (Fuji/Irvin), so we’ve got a connection (they’ve already scouted our prospects). He’s lefty and has very good control. Sadly, I think he’s about as lofty a starter target as we might get. 

Edited by UMDTerrapins

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean, yea, its annoying we didn't spend in the offseason but a bunch of the guys everyone around here wanted to sign have flopped this year.  We all know if we signed a garbage pitcher for 3 years 60 mil he could have a 7 ERA and would still be in our rotation right now.

Our farm system is stacked and a lot of our top prospects are in AAA or MLB right now.  There is not going to be room to get all of them on our MLB roster this year or even the next couple years.  So what is the problem with utilizing some of these prospects to get a couple rentals (Snell/Hader) and make a run.

1 hour ago, HakunaSakata said:

Why don't you do a poll and let's see how many folks thinks E-Rod is a better pitcher than Snell. And I don't get your second point. Are you trying to suggest that Snell/Hader aren't worth signifiantly more than Giolito/Lopez (i.e., they should command more)?  My point was if the White Sox could get a top 60ish prospect then it's not outrageous to think that the Padres can get a top 30ish prospect (maybe more). Better/more valuable players cost more. That's the way it works. 

You can do the poll if you like….

I thought you were implying that because the CHI SOX got 2 of the Angels top 3 prospects that would be the cost they would demand from us if we were in on their 2 pitchers.

I agree that Snell and Hader would cost more as they are better pitchers. 

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Oh geez... Hindsight is viewed through our selective lenses.  Every team can say that.  That's a throw away comment.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I feel fairly mixed about this.  On one hand, it feels like just about all of our top-15 prospects massively raised their trade value this year, and at the same time created a massive prospect logjam in AAA/MLB.  So our trade bait is a bunch of guys with inflated valuations, that have no ability to make an impact on the major league team because they're blocked by cost-controlled players performing at the majors.

On the other hand, I agree it does kind of feel bad that we have to give up cost-controlled players to make up for a failure to make good FA signings.  It's not like our need for pitching was a mystery this offseason.

1 minute ago, Hallas said:

I feel fairly mixed about this.  On one hand, it feels like just about all of our top-15 prospects massively raised their trade value this year, and at the same time created a massive prospect logjam in AAA/MLB.  So our trade bait is a bunch of guys with inflated valuations, that have no ability to make an impact on the major league team because they're blocked by cost-controlled players performing at the majors.

Wasn't that part of the plan?  The only piece that's still in question is cashing out.  Some of it depends on what's on the market shelf too.  I'm fairly confident 1-3 players in the IF crunch will be moved by the trade deadline.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

This is funny.   We have the 1st or 2nd best record in baseball.   The worst contract we have is for our backup catcher who we owe 4M to next year.   We have tons of prospect captital from which to deal with.

BUT, OH IF OUR FRONT OFFICE HAD ONLY LISTENED TO SPORTSGUY WE WOULDN’T BE IN THIS TERRIBLE POSITION!!!!!!!!

I agree 1000000000 PERCENT!!!!!!

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1