Can someone tell me what Cowser needs to do better?

kidrock

Is he not making hard contact, swinging at bad pitches, not seeing the ball well?

I’m not worried about his production as I think he will adjust.  I am more so just trying to understand what he did so well in the minors that hasn’t yet translated.

thanks!

7 minutes ago, kidrock said:

Is he not making hard contact, swinging at bad pitches, not seeing the ball well?

I’m not worried about his production as I think he will adjust.  I am more so just trying to understand what he did so well in the minors that hasn’t yet translated.

thanks!

It takes time for most guys to adjust. Look at Adley and Gunnar. He’s only 23 and he didn’t doesn’t have many ABs at AA or AAA.

I like Cowser but I have been really disappointed in his defense especially since he was advertised as plus-able to handle CF.  He's new and there is an adjustment period to stadiums but his jumps, routes, he's missed cut off's and has set up poorly for a throw home.  One other thing that really bothered me was Saunders chasing him off third on a potential play at the plate SF, in the air you go to the bag-that's 10 YO stuff.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kidrock said:

thanks!

I haven't looked at the numbers but just from watching him it doesn't seem like he is swinging at many pitches outside the zone.  

I think he's taking too many pitches inside the zone--hittable pitches early in the count, and called third strikes.

He's also not having a lot of success when he does swing at strikes--some swing and miss, some weak contact.  

He hasn't driven a lot of balls and he's had some bad luck on some of his better-hit balls.  

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

He needs to see ball, hit ball.

Haha.  Believe it or not, I was thinking the same thing.  Couldn’t watch tonight but I know he K’s 3 times.   Stop thinking and start swinging at strikes.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Haha.  Believe it or not, I was thinking the same thing.  Couldn’t watch tonight but I know he K’s 3 times.   Stop thinking and start swinging at strikes.

Also you develop timing etc. by swinging the bat.  Hard to do it when you are behind in counts a lot. Good news is he has been through this before and gotten through it.  Odds are he will again.  I trust the Orioles development guys. 

Just now, baltfan said:

Also you develop timing etc. by swinging the bat.  Hard to do it when you are behind in counts a lot. Good news is he has been through this before and gotten through it.  Odds are he will again.  I trust the Orioles development guys. 

Agree on everything you’ve said.  Good posts.  Yeah, he stunk to begin the season in Norfolk.   It’s tough to watch but everything says it should just be a matter of time before he settles in.

2 hours ago, SemperFi said:

I like Cowser but I have been really disappointed in his defense especially since he was advertised as plus-able to handle CF.  He's new and there is an adjustment period to stadiums but his jumps, routes, he's missed cut off's and has set up poorly for a throw home.  One other thing that really bothered me was Saunders chasing him off third on a potential play at the plate SF, in the air you go to the bag-that's 10 YO stuff.

I think the most people had to say about Cowser in center is that he could play the position. That's not insignificant given how important CF is, but it has always been a distinct possibility that he would be moved to a corner. That's part of the reason why some services like Fangraphs were lower on him.

Maybe a 13 months ago we would've pinned our hopes to Cowser in CF, but now it really doesn't matter that he can't stick there in the long-term with Mullins/Fabian/Bradfield in the organization; they're all truly plus center fielders.