Who has been better? Verlander v Scherzer

Greg Pappas

I noticed all the dealing chatter about Verlander and Scherzer and it got me to looking up their careers. 

• Verlander (40.5 yo) had been in the AL for his entire career (18 seasons) until going to the Mets this year //  Scherzer (39 yo) pitched for 5 seasons in Detroit and 11 in the NL.  So, two extra years for Verlander and mostly no DH for Scherzer.
  • Verlander won ROY, 3 Cy Youngs, 9 All Star selections, and an MVP //  Scherzer won 3 Cy Youngs, and has 8 All Star selections
  • Verlander's career ERA is 3.24,  ERA+ is 132,  FIP is 3.38, and WHIP is 1.12  //  Scherzer's career ERA is 3.15,  ERA+ is 133,  FIP is 3.16 , and WHIP is 1.08

You can see more by checking out their links.

They are two great future HoF's and it's hard to distinguish who's been better in my eyes, though if push came to shove I'd go Verlander by the closest of margins because Scherzer had it easier in the NL. 

Who ya got? Thoughts?

Edited by Greg Pappas

• 1 month later...

That’s as close a decision as is possible. Two easy first ballot Hall of Famers.  This is a good place to use the BB-ref compare feature.   Overall I’d give a small edge to Scherzer because he’s better on most of the rate stats, but the fact that Verlander has been doing it longer also counts for something.   Honestly I’d want to see how their careers wrap up before making a final choice.   

• Thanks 1