If you could add 1 prospect down the stretch, who would it be?

brvn52

Which prospect would most help the O's down the stretch?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Which prospect would most help the O's down the stretch?

• Joey Ortiz
    • Heston Kjerstad
    • DL Hall
    • Coby Mayo
    • Jackson Holliday
    • Other

The thing is, when you add someone, someone has to be taken away.

Obviously Mateo should go but who else should go and would that person benefit other players by leaving?

I guess you can say send down Cowser and give Kjerstad his spot but not sure what that accomplishes.

So, either Ortiz or Holliday is probably the answer since Mateo is the one to go.  Not sure Holliday is ready and he’s out right now anyway.

So, I would say Ortiz.

28 minutes ago, brvn52 said:

Simply put: if you could add one O's prospect down the stretch to help this team win more games, who would it be? Ignore who will be sent down - simply which player would best help the team now?

Good thread.  Between Ortiz and Kjerstad for me.

Edited by Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I guess you can say send down Cowser and give Kjerstad his spot but not sure what that accomplishes.

This would accomplish us knowing that Cowser is again a good hitter at AAA, and Kjerstad isn't ready for major league pitching yet.  They all need to get a taste, however, so they can see what they need to work on to succeed at the major league level.  I am excited about our nucleus next year and beyond, but it's pretty clear some won't contribute much to us offensively in 2023.  To a person, excluding Gunnar now, every promotion of a high level hitting prospect this year has been disappointing.....and Hangouters don't have a high level of tolerance for non-production.  

Ottiz is the easy answer. He's approaching 26 years old and he's wasting away in the minor leagues while we have Mateo who seems to have lost his focus completely. I'd make that swap.

With that said, I would also like to see DL Hall. He had a cup of coffee last season and by September he seemed to have come around. He even handled Aaron Judge pretty well in the last New York series.

MLB Pipeline predicts the other prospects listed ETA to be 2024 arrivals at the earliest. I agree with that assessment.

Just now, Billy F-Face3 said:

Ottiz is the easy answer. He's approaching 26 years old and he's wasting away in the minor leagues while we have Mateo who seems to have lost his focus completely. I'd make that swap.

With that said, I would also like to see DL Hall. He had a cup of coffee last season and by September he seemed to have come around. He even handled Aaron Judge pretty well in the last New York series.

MLB Pipeline predicts the other prospects listed ETA to be 2024 arrivals at the earliest. I agree with that assessment.

*Ortiz

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Holliday. Elias fired the Gunnar bullet at last season. I think he does the same this year. That’s part of the reason we haven’t seen Ortiz. I think Elias does this on 8/31. Holliday would still keep his ROY status for next year. 

8/31 doesn't mean what it used to with the roster only expanding to 28 in September.   The majority of the teams use the two extra spots for a #3 catcher and an extra bullpen arm.