OPACY Is Not Ready For The Playoffs

cboemmeljr

I've been following this post with interest; I'll be heading to Camden Yards for the first time since 2016 when Wade Miley struck out 11 and some kid named Mancini homered.   I'll be there for the third ever concert and hopefully a game or two.  (Kudos to JA on maximizing revenue with concerts in consecutive years.  What a novel concept!)  I was talking with my wife about going to the Lexington Market before the show and purchasing our food there.

I was there Saturday for the sold out Colorado game and the lines at the concessions were just stupid.  I was on the club level and walked up to the 3rd level so I could get in a shorter line.  Up there none of the concessions even sold fountain sodas.  They said they never hooked them up all season.  That was crazy.  I don’t want a bottle soft drink when it is 90 degrees out.  If I am going to pay $8.50 for a Pepsi I want ice damn it!  It is obvious they don’t have enough people.  I don’t know if that is the fault of the concessionaire or the team but it is not good.  I will be there next Saturday for the Springsteen concert so we will see how that turns out.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ghost of Syd Thrift said:

I've been following this post with interest; I'll be heading to Camden Yards for the first time since 2016 when Wade Miley struck out 11 and some kid named Mancini homered.   I'll be there for the third ever concert and hopefully a game or two.  (Kudos to JA on maximizing revenue with concerts in consecutive years.  What a novel concept!)  I was talking with my wife about going to the Lexington Market before the show and purchasing our food there.

You can bring food from wherever, just make sure it fits into the bag you are allowed to bring.  Each of you can bring a bag.  

Usually I buy food there, but bring in a Nalgene to refill as well as a bag of peanuts from home (the outside vendors also have a good deal on snacks.). 

7 hours ago, cboemmeljr said:

The customer service, speed and inventory as awful.  Poster after you said the soda BIBs aren’t even hooked up in the top level, which is nuts.  However, I do think the food is a significant improvement from at least the ballpark vendor- their specialty vendors are always solid.  

Is it Nats Park as far as food and drink goes?  Not yet.  Nats Park has a lot more local flair, which the Orioles could get in time.  But their beer selection, especially with the vendors in the stands, is much improved from years past.  Not sure I am getting all of the hate for the Orioles and Levy, especially in year one.  

1 hour ago, ThomasTomasz said:

***At least hate from a food quality perspective.  Completely understand speed of service and staff levels, which is probably something that Levy can’t help if they are hamstrung by budgets from ownership. 

Er Levy pays the Orioles, they then set their own budget to maximize their profit. The concessions at least you can't blame on JA. Full disclosure, I haven' sat in the upper deck this year (will in Sept for sweatshirt night), but I've found the beer selection to be good, and the new automated beer coolers to be fast. The local food stand has been a cool addition, if you want a hot dog buy it outside. Lexington market has been totally re-done, and is very nice. 

As to the upper deck, my guess is Levy looked at the number of people they expected to sit up there this season, and just decided basically not to run it this year in terms of concessions 

2 hours ago, accinfo said:

I was there Saturday for the sold out Colorado game and the lines at the concessions were just stupid.  I was on the club level and walked up to the 3rd level so I could get in a shorter line.  Up there none of the concessions even sold fountain sodas.  They said they never hooked them up all season.  That was crazy.  I don’t want a bottle soft drink when it is 90 degrees out.  If I am going to pay $8.50 for a Pepsi I want ice damn it!  It is obvious they don’t have enough people.  I don’t know if that is the fault of the concessionaire or the team but it is not good.  I will be there next Saturday for the Springsteen concert so we will see how that turns out.

JA is unbelievably cheap. OPACY charges among the highest prices in the league and JA skimps on concessions to save money. If the concessions were among the cheapest priced it could be excused to a degree. 

They're charging Nordstrom prices for dollar store quality concessions.

19 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Er Levy pays the Orioles, they then set their own budget to maximize their profit. The concessions at least you can't blame on JA. Full disclosure, I haven' sat in the upper deck this year (will in Sept for sweatshirt night), but I've found the beer selection to be good, and the new automated beer coolers to be fast. The local food stand has been a cool addition, if you want a hot dog buy it outside. Lexington market has been totally re-done, and is very nice. 

As to the upper deck, my guess is Levy looked at the number of people they expected to sit up there this season, and just decided basically not to run it this year in terms of concessions 

The O's under his leadership signed the deal with Levy.

8 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

JA is unbelievably cheap. OPACY charges among the highest prices in the league and JA skimps on concessions to save money. If the concessions were among the cheapest priced it could be excused to a degree. 

They're charging Nordstrom prices for dollar store quality concessions.

They are trading cheap tickets and kids free tickets for overpriced concessions, and the other skimping you mentioned. 

Since they give a 30% discount for club membership owners tells you that the prices are heavily inflated. I mentioned a while ago that 2 large beers (canned domestics) costing $24.00.

$8.00 each would something most could live with. 

I think they should get rid of the discount/free tickets and the concession mark ups. 

Edited by Roll Tide

I started bringing a PB&J to the gsmes this summer instead of waiting in line to pay $8.50 for a mediocre hot dog that can be consumed in 4-5 bites.  Saves me time and money.  I’ve also been bringing my own peanuts to the games for several years now.  The only thing I really buy at the stadium is a beer, since there’s no option to bring one in.   

I am not sure what people expect.

First of all, ever since COVID and the local governments gave people incentive to not work, all businesses have struggled to find capable workers.

Secondly, we have an owner who will do whatever he can to save money. We know he has done that with “the little things”, so of course he is trying to do that here.

The solution is very simple. Get to the game as early as you can, get your food and drinks then (or bring them) and then stay in your seat the rest of the game and rely on the vendors that come to you.

Otherwise, don’t complain. You know what you are getting. Long lines, ignorant wait staff, poor customer service, mediocre overpriced food and a lot of missed baseball. If you choose to do this, it’s your decision and your decision is essentially to stand in line and miss the game.  You can’t complain if it’s your decision to do these things.

It would be nice if it was a well oiled machine that was run better but we also have to remember that this is probably the case around all entertainment venues and these companies that run these things are not exactly known for their customer service. There are plenty of pitfalls that they have to deal with as well that are beyond their control.

I know they have done some job fairs recently. They are trying to hire more support staff. I’m not sure if the concession people are doing the same but the Os are. 

• Upvote 3

I haven’t been at OPACY this year, in fact my first Oriole game since pre-COVID will be next Tuesday in Anaheim.  30 years ago I  grabbed a part time job with Aramark at OPACY when they were the concessionaire.  Only lasted about a month and a half, mostly because it was difficult for me to consistently get from my daytime career job to OPACY for weekday night game duty.  It was hard fast paced work for little pay.  I do remember however that back in those days a good number of the stands, maybe 10 percent of them, were operated by nonprofits/charitable organizations.  School PTA’s, Volunteer Fire Auxiliaries, Church groups, United Way groups would operate a stand for the night and in turn for their free labor received $$ from the Orioles/Aramark.  Not sure if it was a flat fee or based on sales but it seemed to be a win/win.  Does this still go on?  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, ever since COVID and the local governments gave people incentive to not work, all businesses have struggled to find capable workers.

Secondly, we have an owner who will do whatever he can to save money. We know he has done that with “the little things”, so of course he is trying to do that here.

The solution is very simple. Get to the game as early as you can, get your food and drinks then (or bring them) and then stay in your seat the rest of the game and rely on the vendors that come to you.

Otherwise, don’t complain. You know what you are getting. Long lines, ignorant wait staff, poor customer service, mediocre overpriced food and a lot of missed baseball. If you choose to do this, it’s your decision and your decision is essentially to stand in line and miss the game.  You can’t complain if it’s your decision to do these things.

It would be nice if it was a well oiled machine that was run better but we also have to remember that this is probably the case around all entertainment venues and these companies that run these things are not exactly known for their customer service. There are plenty of pitfalls that they have to deal with as well that are beyond their control.

I know they have done some job fairs recently. They are trying to hire more support staff. I’m not sure if the concession people are doing the same but the Os are. 

I typically don't like SG's hardass/hardline stance of "everything is your fault" but I agree here.

Get there early, eat early.  If you want to miss three innings because you feel the need to get a craft beer and don't like the Miller Lite they're bringing around, well, that's your problem.

Edited by Moose Milligan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Well said.  I have no doubt JA's cheapness is partially to blame, but I think it's more just a microcosm of what we're seeing in retail/restaurants/hotels throughout the country since COVID.  It's vey hard for these businesses to get people now to work these low paying jobs when they can sit at home and collect checks to do nothing.  Talk to any business owner and they'll tell you how hard it is to hire and retain these customer service jobs.  Have you noticed how understaffed retail stores are these days?  I travel a lot for work and it's this way everywhere...can't find anyone to help you in any stores.  Again, I'm not absolving JA of any blame in this but I'm also sure it's challenging to fully staff the stadium at this point.  Also, an unintended result of significantly raising the minimum wage in a short amount of time is many businesses hire less employees to make up for the fact they have to pay them more.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that I've heard many business owners say they do that.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Otter said:

Well said.  I have no doubt JA's cheapness is partially to blame, but I think it's more just a microcosm of what we're seeing in retail/restaurants/hotels throughout the country since COVID.  It's vey hard for these businesses to get people now to work these low paying jobs when they can sit at home and collect checks to do nothing.  Talk to any business owner and they'll tell you how hard it is to hire and retain these customer service jobs.  Have you noticed how understaffed retail stores are these days?  I travel a lot for work and it's this way everywhere...can't find anyone to help you in any stores.  Again, I'm not absolving JA of any blame in this but I'm also sure it's challenging to fully staff the stadium at this point.  Also, an unintended result of significantly raising the minimum wage in a short amount of time is many businesses hire less employees to make up for the fact they have to pay them more.  I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that I've heard many business owners say they do that.

I believe this is a big part of it.

I also think people would rather drive Uber Eats/Grubhub or something else instead.  It's easy to paint people as lazy, they don't want to work, the government is giving them checks, etc, and part of that is true.  But if you want to skate by on making 30-35k a year there are plenty of other ways to do it than waiting tables or working in retail that weren't available 20 years ago.  I mean, I know what I'd do if I had the choice to make between working at a stadium or driving Uber Eats and it's not a hard decision to make.