Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You do realize that whatever the announcer says doesn’t affect what happens on the field, right?

It didn’t bother me at all when Brown pointed out that the Padres hadn’t hit a grand slam all year.   Just like it doesn’t bother me if an announcer points out that a certain player has done poorly with runners in scoring position.

What I tend not to like — and all announcers do this — is when it’s late on the game, the team has the lead, and the announcers start discussing what the consequence of a win will be.  (“With a win tonight, the Orioles would increase their lead over Tampa to three games.”)   I’m a firm believer in not counting your chickens before they hatch, and even though I know that what the announcers say doesn’t affect anything, I get infuriated if things then start heading south.   

So you're cafeteria-style superstitious. That's okay.

The preemptive win chat is literally the exact same thing as the stuff before. In so far as I'd categorize them both as "things ya don't say on TV" as a sports broadcaster. 

It's all in the name of things you don't really want to put out into the universe as to not upset the Baseball Gods.

Comments in our broadcast that seem to tempt fate do stand out to me too. Mostly from Brown.

Unfortunately, I am a recovering superstitious fan who relapses from time to time. This dragon seems to rear it's head most when my heart gets ahead of my head and I want for an outcome badly. Side note: It's only recently that I have come to the conclusion in life that wanting, of any kind, is the root of most emotional pain. 

I guess announcers can't be superstitious... much. I expect the home team announcers to tread very lightly around topics like perfect games and no-hitters (compared to the out of town crew), but for nearly everything else I figure what Brown is doing is queuing up a better soundbite to accompany a play's tape. Setting up the consequence or stat as the pitcher is in his windup is the perfect time for it. 

I don't like it, but it feels like something professional broadcasters are taught to do.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

It didn’t bother me at all when Brown pointed out that the Padres hadn’t hit a grand slam all year.   Just like it doesn’t bother me if an announcer points out that a certain player has done poorly with runners in scoring position.

Personally I don't care about the superstition stuff. I care about bad, cherrypicked stats, which is something Brown does too often. At the end of the day I want to hear facts that mean things. I like Brown's relative literacy with analytics but I wish he would have more of the filter that competent analysts would have and not talk about grand slams.

5 hours ago, AdamK said:

Comments in our broadcast that seem to tempt fate do stand out to me too. Mostly from Brown.

Unfortunately, I am a recovering superstitious fan who relapses from time to time. This dragon seems to rear it's head most when my heart gets ahead of my head and I want for an outcome badly. Side note: It's only recently that I have come to the conclusion in life that wanting, of any kind, is the root of most emotional pain. 

I guess announcers can't be superstitious... much. I expect the home team announcers to tread very lightly around topics like perfect games and no-hitters (compared to the out of town crew), but for nearly everything else I figure what Brown is doing is queuing up a better soundbite to accompany a play's tape. Setting up the consequence or stat as the pitcher is in his windup is the perfect time for it. 

I don't like it, but it feels like something professional broadcasters are taught to do.

Nothing an announcer says has an impact on the game, you do understand that right? :)

Edited by Sports Guy

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

You do realize that whatever the announcer says doesn’t affect what happens on the field, right?

What I tend not to like — and all announcers do this — is when it’s late on the game, the team has the lead, and the announcers start discussing what the consequence of a win will be.  (“With a win tonight, the Orioles would increase their lead over Tampa to three games.”)   I’m a firm believer in not counting your chickens before they hatch, and even though I know that what the announcers say doesn’t affect anything, I get infuriated if things then start heading south.   

I mean, yes they can hear us taking to them through the TVs…players included! How do you not know this?!? 😂🤣😎

Kidding, of course.  Those of us that believe in it to whatever extent, being superstitious while watching sports (or playing them) is a real thing.  Does this particular one about what is said in game have any bearing on the outcome of games in either direction?  Hard to definitively answer of course, but there are firm believers in them, so they must have some sort of merit.  Again, whether that’s real or completely intangible, you could debate for eternity. 

So to folks like me, and seemingly many others from the comments, there are certain things that you just don’t say…or maybe should say…depending on the situation.  Whether correlated or just blind luck, I’ll be darned if KB’s “success” rate isn’t pretty high. 

And just to say it, I really enjoy him and all his awkward quirkiness outside of the this one thing. I truly hope this whole mess JA created just goes away and he sticks around for a long time. 

Just keep those unspeakables to yourself please, KB. (I’m sure he’s reading this😂)

Bottom 7 tonight.

Gamel hits fly ball to deep out toward LCF.

KB: “and that’s where balls go to die in this park, especially at night” (maybe not a direct quote but basically that)

Next batter up, Grisham, promptly hits a HR to…you guessed it…left center field. 

It is a thing with him and I’m sorry but you cannot tell me otherwise. I’ve watched a ton of sports games across my almost 50 years of life on this earth and I’ve never seen (heard?) anything like it. 

• 3 weeks later...