How Coaches Decide the Batting Order

Idaho_OriolesFan

What's the benefits of putting a batter in a certain position one game and elsewhere during another? Ie. I see Mullins bat in all sorts of different order.
Are they just "trying" different things? Do they decide depending on the opposing pitcher? When I played ball as a kid, we pretty much had our starting lineup and it really didn't change much.

Thanks for helping me learn

The O's have an analytics department that goes over the lineup before each game and determines the best lineup. I noticed Rutschman has been hitting first alot recently, probably because of his high walk totals. They aren't batting Mateo first thats for sure, he's almost always hitting 9th when he plays. 

I assume, like jabba72, that the analytics department helps with these decisions.

But in the end, the difference between the most and least logical lineups can be measured in a few handfuls of runs over a season. So as long as they come up with something halfway reasonable it's essentially indistinguishable from any other choice. Especially in a world with no DH, where you don't have to worry about an .089 hitter in the lineup.

1 hour ago, Idaho_OriolesFan said:

What's the benefits of putting a batter in a certain position one game and elsewhere during another? Ie. I see Mullins bat in all sorts of different order.
Are they just "trying" different things? Do they decide depending on the opposing pitcher? When I played ball as a kid, we pretty much had our starting lineup and it really didn't change much.

Thanks for helping me learn

It is probably a litttle different based on the club and how much authority each Manager has to make the lineup. But many factors play into it. Matchups against certain pitchers both from a side of the plate match up and "stuff". Hitter's strengths and how they are currently hitting. Lots of analytics. A manager's hunch. Even the conventional way of making a lineup has changed. Used to be your best hitter was in the 3 spot. Now most are in the 2 spot and some are even at 1. 

34 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

The O's have an analytics department that goes over the lineup before each game and determines the best lineup. I noticed Rutschman has been hitting first alot recently, probably because of his high walk totals. They aren't batting Mateo first thats for sure, he's almost always hitting 9th when he plays. 

Are you saying that the analytics department determines the lineup or that they give data to the manager? 

6 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

Are you saying that the analytics department determines the lineup or that they give data to the manager? 

Eve Rosenbaum suggested in an interview Frobby posted awhile back that Hyde makes the final decision, but that a lineup is given to him every day. I dont know if he's strongly encouraged to follow it, but I'd guess he uses it at least once in awhile.

5 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Eve Rosenbaum suggested in an interview Frobby posted awhile back that Hyde makes the final decision, but that a lineup is given to him every day. I dont know if he's strongly encouraged to follow it, but I'd guess he uses it at least once in awhile.

Okay, that make more sence.

26 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I believe this is the interview. However, the process she describes is more about the sit/start decisions. Pretty sure Hyde makes out the actual order. Aside from alternating LHB/RHB as much as possible, I don't see much rhyme or reason to it. It's more art than science and highly debatable how much difference the order makes aside from generally putting better players higher in the order to make sure they get that extra AB. 

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show/the-verge/episodes/Episode-150-w-Eve-Rosenbaum-e229acq/a-a6mduam

As long as the lineup order stays within common sense I can see a small benefit coming from everybody not getting dull out of habit or thinking that lineup order requires a change in approach. I also think the same holds true for all the position changes from day to day although there are other benefits to position flexibility.   In other words whatever to keep everybody on their toes over the course of a long season. 

Just a pet theory with no scientific evidence…