Tuesday, September 19: Battle of AL's top two division leaders continues in Houston

SteveA

Felt like he labored a bit but got through 2 innings.

I feel like there is a niche for 5th starter types to be multi inning relievers like this.  Being able to eat 2 moderately high leverage innings would be quite valuable.  Mark eichhorn put up a 4.9 WAR year throwing 157 innings out of the bullpen.  I imagine this is a bit extreme, but I imagine at least 120 innings would he reasonable for someone like this.  The pitchers don't have to face batters more than once and save other relievers extra wear and tear.

Edited by Hallas
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

We have a 4 run lead, though.

If you finish a game by pitching 3 innings and protecting a lead, you get a save no matter how big the lead is.  

However, that is no longer in play as Flaherty is out.

And Cano can't get  a save either.

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Who else was available beside Cano?  Could they have started the inning?

Cano isn't really even available... this is the first time all year Hyde has used a guy 3 straight days.

This makes Cano definitely unavailable tomorrow.

I would have given Flaherty one more baserunner.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

If you finish a game by pitching 3 innings and protecting a lead, you get a save no matter how big the lead is.  

However, that is no longer in play as Flaherty is out.

And Cano can't get  a save either.

I think it has to do with runs vs. outs. I think a save is you get as many outs or more than the run differential. But I am not sure. I don't think it's regardless of what the lead is.