Thursday September 21: Orioles vs Guardians, nationally televised on Fox

SteveA

4 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

The look on Hyde's face in the dugout says it all

He should be disgusted at himself.  The way he's overused the BP lately (pulling some WAY too quick so everyone is pitching every day or so) and insisting on keeping Frazier in the starting lineup with this terrible defense is all on him.  

1 minute ago, EddeeEddee said:

I think everybody saw this coming.  Hyde needs to let starters go deeper into games.  Especially with Baustista out this bullpen is not strong to carry 3-4 innings every game. 

It's true, I remember early in the season feeling that we would pay in the long run for the way we were using our bullpen.

Hyde got a little better at it as the season went on, but he was using way too many guys the first two months and the bullpen has run out of gas and our best has gotten hurt.

Of course by the same token, we have a bunch of starting pitchers who have pitched way more innings than last year and in some cases more than they have ever pitched.

It's pretty amazing we are where we are.   We've squeezed every ounce out of this pitching staff.   Like most people, I agree we should have gone out and gotten a quality arm or two at the trade deadline.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hyde needed Elias to make more of a positive impact with his moves to bolster the pitching staff.

Second lowest payroll in the league, top farm and the best you can do is Flaherty and Fuji?

And Webb--then Lopez later. Not saying they're great, but they were part of his moves.

1 minute ago, pdiddy said:

I was hoping to see Povich or McDermott up to test out bullpen roles prior to September. Preferred McDermott but the 40 man issue…

That's taking a gamble that they'd be ready to help.  You go and get that impact arm and if those guys can help you it's gravy.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Brian88 said:

Use Baumann then option him for a fresh arm, ideally DFA Lopez for another arm too but they seem committed to him for some reason

Yep, those are probably moves to make.  Maybe bring up Joey Krehbiel and Irvin/TJ McFarland?  However, Krehbiel amd McFarland pitched tonight.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hyde needed Elias to make more of a positive impact with his moves to bolster the pitching staff.

Second lowest payroll in the league, top farm and the best you can do is Flaherty and Fuji?

We needed arms at the deadline and all we got was this lousy t-shirt. 

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

He should be disgusted at himself.  The way he's overused the BP lately (pulling some WAY too quick so everyone is pitching every day or so) and insisting on keeping Frazier in the starting lineup with this terrible defense is all on him.  

Well Hyde isn't the guy who optioned Irvin to the minors.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh definitely not disagreeing with you there.  But that was not done.  So then something else needs to give. 

I agree with the others talking about Irvin.  I didn't realize he was sent down.  He's needed in the bullpen asap.