Update Again Again: OPACY lease officially official, done and approved, for real this time

spleen1015

6 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Unless I missed him, Angelos wasn’t present for today’s ceremonial back slapping. The statement released is from “The Orioles”. The statement has nothing from Angelos until the end, wherein he credits “the Management Group” for putting this deal together. 

Either John Angelos has gained a tremendous amount of humility overnight, or he’s not so subtly suggesting this was not his preferred outcome. Or maybe I’m reading more into this than I should.

Maybe the PR guys are reigning him in?

13 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Unless I missed him, Angelos wasn’t present for today’s ceremonial back slapping. The statement released is from “The Orioles”. The statement has nothing from Angelos until the end, wherein he credits “the Management Group” for putting this deal together. 

Either John Angelos has gained a tremendous amount of humility overnight, or he’s not so subtly suggesting this was not his preferred outcome. Or maybe I’m reading more into this than I should.

Held at the warehouse with no Oriole representative present?

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Maybe the PR guys are reigning him in?

I probably have a tendency to see what I want to see, but all of it looks like someone on the way out to me. I think he has the outlines of a deal in place to sell, contingent upon him closing out these various negotiations, and he's moving forward. I don't fault anyone for thinking that's naive or waiting until they see it to believe it, but these latest moves just aren't in line at all with his usual approach.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

No one is going to call it the new name.   It will always be "Oriole Park" or "Camden Yards".

That's why I can't imagine the naming rights are worth very much. Allegedly the Dodgers have long been looking for a corporate sponsor to name their park "[Something] Field at Dodger Stadium" but nobody wants to pay the Dodgers' asking price just to have their company's name completely ignored by the public. Knowing the way JA negotiates it might take him the whole 30 years to make a deal with anyone.

2 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Maybe he didn't think *checks calendar* Keith Richards' 80th birthday was the right time to announce.

Keif will outlive this deal.

4d494d66190063.5b0dbe4640ea3.gif

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Maybe Nabisco would spring for Oreo Park at Camden Yards.

That is probably the only corporate name I could tolerate selling the naming rights to. It will always be Oriole Park at Camden Yards to me and I thought it was special that it had stayed that way without changing the name to some stupid company like Wawa Google X-YouTwitFace stadium.

• Upvote 2