Mateo in the Playoffs

Sanity Check

48 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Assuming we put our best lefty or righty lineup out there in each playoff game, I see (like it or not) a Frazier/Westburg platoon at 2nd base, and Urias at 3rd, possibly with Westburg mixed in there, and Henderson at short.

So, I see it this way:

Henderson starts every game at SS

Frazier/Westburg platoon at 2B

Urias, with Frazier sprinkled in at 3B.

Is there any reason that Mateo would start any of the playoff games?  

Personally, I see Mateo pinch running late if needed, then taking over at SS with Henderson moving to 3B.

Thoughts?

What happened with being concerned about the cold bats???

Over the last 7 games Mateo hit .308 vs. .154 for Gunnar?  Over the last 15 games Mateo hit .265 vs. 226 for Gunnar?  Are you suggesting that Gunnar might hit/play better than Mateo despite his cooling off at the end of the season?  🙄

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I have my doubts they even start Westburg.

As long as the starter is RH, then I think Frazier and Henderson start.  That would leave Westburg and Urias to split the other starting position.  Westburg won't start every game, but he will start.

26 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

What happened with being concerned about the cold bats???

Over the last 7 games Mateo hit .308 vs. .154 for Gunnar?  Over the last 15 games Mateo hit .265 vs. 226 for Gunnar?  Are you suggesting that Gunnar might hit/play better than Mateo despite his cooling off at the end of the season?  🙄

Not loving the trolling and eyeroll.....really, it's not necessary, you could have just posed the question as you did, and I would have answered professionally.  I guess this is fun for you, but it's kind of middle-school'ish.......

Back on point......

Yes, I'm still concerned about the bats, and even if they were hot at the end of the season, I'd be concerned about the layoff while another team might be getting hot.  I think I'm allowed to do that.  

With regard to your question - it doesn't matter what I think - I expect Hyde will have Henderson written into the lineup every game in the post-season, and I agree with that, regardless of how he ended the season.  And, I was thinking maybe Mateo would be the odd man out/late inning pinch runner and shortstop when he does get into a game.  

21 minutes ago, Birdland in NC said:

I think Ramon at 3rd and Gunnar at SS every game.  I don't think Hyde is going to change the lineup much at all during the playoffs, only a little shuffling at 1st and 2nd   

I think Hyde will be aggressive using his bench, but I agree that I don't think the lineup will change much during the playoffs. I could see any of Urias/Frazier/Westburg subbing a start for one another, but I don't think Mateo fits that bill. He's a guy they're going to want to pick and choose his spots more carefully. But I could see them using Mateo earlier in games on the basepaths and not just at the end in the highest leverage situations.

Starting a guy like Mateo against LHP in favor of Mullins like someone suggested is just nuts to me.

Edited by dzorange

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Being that Urias has a .650 OPS vs LHP, his damage never came

Urias' lack of power is most of that. While that's disappointing, there's no reason to think Mateo is any better. He's hit 1 HR since the end of April and had a .303 slugging in September.

Urias still got on base at a okay enough clip against lefties - .315.

Edited by dzorange
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dzorange said:

I think Hyde will be aggressive using his bench, but I agree that I don't think the lineup will change much during the playoffs. I could see any of Urias/Frazier/Westburg subbing a start for one another, but I don't think Mateo fits that bill. He's a guy they're going to want to pick and choose his spots more carefully. But I could see them using Mateo earlier in games on the basepaths and not just at the end in the highest leverage situations.

Starting a guy like Mateo against LHP in favor of Mullins like someone suggested is just nuts to me.

Are you talking about the Cedric Mullins who has hit under 200 two months in a row? Mateo has a 743 OPS vs Lefties in a 162 game season. He is going to play. 

We got here because of our superior splits lineup. 

Frazier/Westburg

Urias/Mateo

Mountcastle/Ohearn

You do not change the recipe when you make it to the big show.

Edited by Rbiggs2525
  • Haha 1

Mateo should be kept on the bench for every game, regardless of the starter and what hand that pitcher throws with, so Mateo can pinch run in a key situation.  It's really his only valuable tool as the defense hasn't been nearly as good and he's fairly inept with the bat.  If you start him then you can't insert him on the basepaths where he can do the most damage.  His speed and ability to score from 1st on a single is the reason he still has a roster spot, IMO, and starting him limits that ability.  

Just now, Bahama O's Fan said:

I like the idea of Mateo on the bench every game, just so he is available to run any time he is needed. I especially love the option of having him if we go to extra innings and get someone on base. He can score from first in many situations. 

Actually, if we go extra innings, he's a pretty good candidate to start the inning at 2nd base.

1 minute ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I don't think the ghost runner rule happens in the playoffs

I think you're right., now that I think back to last year's games.   There were a couple of really long extra inning games....one with the Guardians and I think Tampa (or Toronto?), and another with Seattle and Houston.

Thanks for the correction.