Jim Callis Os trade ideas

Sports Guy

9 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Wish Callis had done a potential Mariners trade for Miller or Woo, given that would be built around prospect for prospect, to get his take on their respective trade value now.

Looking at SEA again, J.P. Crawford had an excellent breakout year at the plate but his defensive metrics at SS have been quite bad for 2 years in a row. He’ll be 29 next year so they’re not likely to reverse course. They have Suarez for 2024 + a 2025 option at 3B. Maybe they consider moving Crawford to 2B or 3B in the near future and that makes Ortiz as a SS more appealing than Westburg?

They also really need corner OF / DH / 1B. 

Does Ortiz, Hays and O’Hearn get Miller/Woo and Matt Brash? Or add in more prospects, or swap out Brash for one of their many lesser but still good RP?

I do think SEA is a good match.  In addition to Ray coming back, Emerson Hancock is ready to.  Maybe we can get creative and move up the SEA rotation food chain.

I think the '24 Mariners can gameplan for about as much Robbie Ray as the '23 Orioles did John Means.

Without knowing the details of the various flavors of Tommy John (I believe Kenta Maeda's recent one was a lighter duty internal brace), Robbie Ray had his procedure about 5.3.2023, and John Means had his procedure about 4.27.2022.

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I think the '24 Mariners can gameplan for about as much Robbie Ray as the '23 Orioles did John Means.

Without knowing the details of the various flavors of Tommy John (I believe Kenta Maeda's recent one was a lighter duty internal brace), Robbie Ray had his procedure about 5.3.2023, and John Means had his procedure about 4.27.2022.

Means had a back injury during rehab that cost him 6-8 weeks.

I would definitely be interested in Cease if the White Sox value him as a #2/3 starter.  It seems they value his as a #1/ace pitcher shown by them asking for Holliday in a trade for him.  If the White Sox would take Cowser or Kjerstad as the main piece in a trade, I would be interested of course contingent on the O's/Elias feeling like they could fix him.

10 hours ago, Just Regular said:

That’s fair.  They should be in at least the wildcard chase.  So a Means-esque date still has him back for the playoffs.  They just don’t have a ton of support around the crown Jules.  And SP has depth.  

17 hours ago, NCRaven said:

Just to be clear, does SG want the Orioles to trade for Luis Robert? 😉

Get used to hearing it!  

I am 50/50 on Cease.  It would depend on what we gave up.  I like to think we can be a place where analytics, pitch mix, etc could help a guy like that.  I get why people like him, big guy, throws hard, etc...but I don't know if I'm completely sold on him.

I like Cease and believe it’s a good buy low player. The new GM shouldn’t be too attached to the player and to be honest the White Sox need a full organization break down like the Orioles of 2018. I also think there will be a lot of teams willing to pay a good return for him as well.

3 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I like Cease and believe it’s a good buy low player. The new GM shouldn’t be too attached to the player and to be honest the White Sox need a full organization break down like the Orioles of 2018. I also think there will be a lot of teams willing to pay a good return for him as well.

He'd be a good buy low player if the White Sox are willing to deal him for a reasonable price.  I have my doubts.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

He'd be a good buy low player if the White Sox are willing to deal him for a reasonable price.  I have my doubts.

Judging by this past deadline, it appears they're severely overvaluing him. I think Elias tried to get him and was probably like, you gotta be kidding me. 

On 10/21/2023 at 6:00 PM, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t do the Cease deal.

I would deal Ortiz for Cabrera and would deal Mullins for Burnes.

Id consider Norby for Blackburn but have to look into that one more.

Agreed pretty much on all accounts here - save the Mullins deal, Im a little more hesitant than SG here. Cowser did himself no favors up here, I'm trying not to read into that too much but he seemed real overmatched and it never really clicked. Now that totally doesn't mean anything more than that simple fact, but is does give me some pause regarding letting Mullins go.