How good wll Bradish and Rodriguez be in 2024?

Frobby

46 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Twenty-five pitchers hit the 180 inning mark last season.

That would be an ideal outcome, but I wouldn’t say it’s that far-fetched.  Bradish threw 173.2 including his one MiL rehab game after getting hit on the foot by a liner; Rodriguez threw 163.1 including his 6 weeks in the minors.   So that’s 337 combined.   Adding 23 innings wouldn’t be that hard, if they’re healthy.  I’d put the odds at 33%.   

Bradish is a pitcher man. He has an idea, he has above average stuff across the board and he is in his prime. If he can get slightly more pitch efficient, he'll be even better. The guy had an ERA under 3 in the hardesr division in baseball. I love that dude. 

One interesting thing about Grayson’s season is that he was striking out more hitters in his unsuccessful April/May stint than he did in his much more successful July - October stint.  

Starts 1-10: 11.1 K/9, 7.35 ERA

Starts 11-23: 8.6 K/9, 2.58 ERA

I’m expecting his K rate to increase in 2024 from his second half numbers, hopefully while remaining very effective.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

One interesting thing about Grayson’s season is that he was striking out more hitters in his unsuccessful April/May stint than he did in his much more successful July - October stint.  

Starts 1-10: 11.1 K/9, 7.35 ERA

Starts 11-23: 8.6 K/9, 2.58 ERA

I’m expecting his K rate to increase in 2024 from his second half numbers, hopefully while remaining very effective.  

But I thought striking out batters was the only thing that matters for a pitcher. 

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

But I thought striking out batters was the only thing that matters for a pitcher. 

In a vacuum what would you rather an Oriole pitcher do?

Walk the hitter.

Allow the hitter to hit a ground ball.

Allow the hitter to hit a fly ball.

Allow the hitter to hit a line drive.

Strike out the hitter.

It's that simple.

In most cases the strikeout is the preferred outcome.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Walk the hitter.

Strike out the hitter.

It's that simple.

Baseball is not played in a vacuum. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Walk the hitter.

Strike out the hitter.

It's that simple.

That is an oversimplification.  I think there are times where pitchers try so hard to get borderline strikes early in the count that they fall behind and then have to make a hittable pitch that the batter knows is coming, or they walk guys.  So, there are times where throwing a hittable pitch in a decent location early in the count works better than trying to throw the perfect, unhittable pitch.  I think that was part of Grayson’s problem in April and May.  The bigger part was that he couldn’t throw his slider for a strike and his fastball command wasn’t good.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That is an oversimplification.  I think there are times where pitchers try so hard to get borderline strikes early in the count that they fall behind and then have to make a hittable pitch that the batter knows is coming, or they walk guys.  So, there are times where throwing a hittable pitch in a decent location early in the count works better than trying to throw the perfect, unhittable pitch.  I think that was part of Grayson’s problem in April and May.  The bigger part was that he couldn’t throw his slider for a strike and his fastball command wasn’t good.

It was meant to be a simplification.  That was the point.

Bradish was flat out nasty in his start in Boston late in the year.  That's the most dominant I've seen an O's pitcher in a long time.  The top 4 CYA finish is nothing to sneeze at.  We just need these two to keep doing what they're doing and stay healthy.  I can't believe the amount of times that these guys started games for us last year and we weren't heavy favorites.  Those times are long gone.  I'd expect us to be around -200 ML favorites every home start for both of them.