Cease vs everyone else

Sports Guy

20 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, this doesn’t stop the Yankees. They need another starter.

They have 5 guys now, with Cole, Rodon, Cortes, Stroman and Schmidt. Maybe they are worried about the durability and Schmidt is not all that good, so they could use another starter but I wouldn’t call it a need. 

They will definitely stay in on Cease regardless, though. They can afford to add him easily if they find a trade package they like and at a minimum it benefits them to make it harder on the Orioles or anybody else getting him. But I do think signing Stroman takes a lot of the motivation to go hard for Cease, and I’d be very surprised if they were willing to have their best prospects on the table for him now (if they were even considering it before Stroman).

Same reason they’ll stay in on Snell. If they can get him for a price they think is good then why not, they’re the Yankees. If not, better to at least set a floor that any other team would have to pay.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yankees and Dodgers are likely not out. 

I said that was contingent on if they sign Snell or not, and if they don't, then maybe they dig even further into their talent pipeline than they already have this offseason to placate Getz. I *do* think that the Dodgers are out for now, but of course they can do whatever they want because they have essentially infinity resources so you never REALLY know.

Except in JD Martinez's case this year, everyone really knew they weren't re-signing him and why lol.

57 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

It would be kinda cool if, like, tomorrow, we just signed, oh I don't know, James Paxton or Mike Clevinger, and Mike Elias then made a public statement like "we're done adding to the rotation for the winter," and finally put all of this silly Cease business to bed before this thread turns into a bloodbath.

Also, it would be kind of hilarious to actually see Chris Getz unironically price himself out of his own market. Suitors are seemingly dropping like flies and the Orioles were most likely their best hope for a really good return for Cease with multiple MLB ready pieces to plug in right away.

We're never going to get to 300 pages with that attitude. 😢

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I wish Elias had this sense of urgency.  Yeah, I know, financial constraints.

Yeah, when you wait around at the bar on singles night until the very end of the evening to pick from whoever is as leftover and lonely as you are, you tend to end up waking up next to someone like Ubaldo Jimenez or Yovani Gallardo the next morning.

7 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Yeah, when you wait around at the bar on singles night until the very end of the evening to pick from whoever is as leftover and lonely as you are, you tend to end up waking up next to someone like Ubaldo Jimenez or Yovani Gallardo the next morning.

Party till he looks like a #3 starter.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

Wondering where you draft pick went.

52 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I’d rather sign Clevinger than pay the iron price for Cease. And it’s possible Clevinger will be just as good as Cease.

And it's possible that Irvin will be just as good as Clevinger. If we are going for a bad character guy I'd just as soon do Bauer, not that I want to do that. Clevinger isn't worth it IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

And it's possible that Irvin will be just as good as Clevinger. If we are going for a bad character guy I'd just as soon do Bauer, not that I want to do that. Clevinger isn't worth it IMO. 

The WS board is saying that Clevinger is not the type of guy you want around a young team. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The WS board is saying that Clevinger is not the type of guy you want around a young team. 

Since when have you cared about that? You certainly didn’t with Bauer. 

“This clubhouse isn’t going to suddenly have chemistry issues because of one player”

I’m paraphrasing but that was the gist of your response to concerns about Bauer being bad in the clubhouse. 

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Big difference between making an offer and “assuming they seal the deal”. Why do you make that assumption? 

Just a bit of foreplay 😉

I still think they end up with Snell because Cashman can spend pretty much as much as he wants this offseason after their embarrassing and unacceptable 82-80 finish in 2023, and even if not, Stroman's signing still lessens the urgency for the Yankees to pay Cease's hefty pricetag.