MLB Offseason Moves/Rumor Thread

ThisIsBirdland

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looking forward to the inevitable start in Fenway on a Sunday afternoon where Giolito starts the game with a 5.00 ERA against our B lineup and throws 7 shutout innings. 

The last three games of 2023 regular season, each Red Sox starting pitcher shut down our A lineup for 6 or more innings....so, yeah, I can see Giolito doing that to us as well.

14 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

You trying to be funny?  I has a much better chance to be a disaster.  There is a decent chance that Giolito is replacement level or below.  A lot of indicators of his pitching stuff are going in the wrong direction.

In today's age a "replacement level" starting pitcher is probably going to get that kind of money, unfortunately.

58 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

You trying to be funny?  I has a much better chance to be a disaster.  There is a decent chance that Giolito is replacement level or below.  A lot of indicators of his pitching stuff are going in the wrong direction.

I mean, it does have the potential to be a good deal for them. Giolito has had prior success despite last year's meltdown. But you're right, it has a much higher chance of being a disaster. 

3 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

In today's age a "replacement level" starting pitcher is probably going to get that kind of money, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

I mean, it does have the potential to be a good deal for them. Giolito has had prior success despite last year's meltdown. But you're right, it has a much higher chance of being a disaster. 

It's enough to make a GM say, "I like our guys." And with good reason. 

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

A deal like that, especially with an opt out after the first season, can’t be a disaster. That amount of money is nothing to the Sox. 

This trend of 2 year deals with opt outs for SPs is interesting. There were a number of them last offseason too - Manaea, Heaney and I think Stripling off the top of my head - plus the weird Wacha deal.

Honestly, they’re not very good deals for the club and I wouldn’t be surprised if Elias was against that structure. All the downside of sinking $30-40M into a SP who could ultimately only be a 5th SP with only the upside of $15-20M for one year of a mid-rotation SP. “There’s no such thing as a bad 1-year deal” but this structure is pretty much how you would design one…

Anyway for someone like Giolito I can see the reason to gamble. I wouldn’t have been upset if the Orioles had done that deal and it would be better than nothing. I hope we get some more hot stove action in January, outside of the big deals by the Dodgers and Yankees this has been a snooze and can’t help but feeling like the Orioles are going to end the prolonged SP market musical chairs without a seat.

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Looking forward to the inevitable start in Fenway on a Sunday afternoon where Giolito starts the game with a 5.00 ERA against our B lineup and throws 7 shutout innings. 

If there is one thing the team needs to do to the offense, its get rid of the whole "B"/Sunday Lineup. This can be eliminated by ditching guys like Mateo and Urias .

However I am sure they will still have those 3 week stretches where they only score 2 runs a game because there is no real power bat in the lineup

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

If there is one thing the team needs to do to the offense, its get rid of the whole "B"/Sunday Lineup. This can be eliminated by ditching guys like Mateo and Urias .

However I am sure they will still have those 3 week stretches where they only score 2 runs a game because there is no real power bat in the lineup

I’d really like to know where those stretches were last year.  By month: 5.25, 4.79, 4.50, 4.77, 5.48, 4.97 runs per game.  I’d call that pretty damned consistent.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Orioles0615 said:

Back in the 90-00’s, the dry spells were blamed on no BBs and a lot of power.  Now we’re flipping the script and blaming a pack of big power?  It’s not like we have no power, we’re pretty deep with above average up/down the line up.

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

A deal like that, especially with an opt out after the first season, can’t be a disaster. That amount of money is nothing to the Sox. 

Yeah, no doubt.  When you follow the Dollar General of MLB franchises, it's hard to imagine that $20 million is not a big deal to a large percentage of MLB teams.