Ohtani to the Blue Jays? (Update: Signs w/Dodgers for $700 million over 10 yrs)

Rustbelt

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Doesn't matter much at all who in the division does what due to the balanced schedule, if the O's beat the teams they are supposed to beat, they'll likely end up in the playoffs and all bets are off there.

It doesn’t matter quite as much as before, but I can say with a lot of confidence that the Jays will win more games if they sign Ohtani. It doesn’t matter if the O’s still win 100 games if the Jays are winning 101.

I absolutely hate the idea of Ohtani going to Toronto. It’s worst case scenario. Yankees and Red Sox are already financial behemoths, now we have to deal with a loaded Toronto team full of superstars in their prime? Bleh

Here is the thing.  And this will never happen but if I am Angelos and I am going to sell the team?  I 1000% do this.  Sign Ohtani to a 5 year contract for $xxx...or at least try to.

First of all, since you are selling the team you will not pay for most of the contract. 

But secondly, Ohtani is a HUGE draw for Asian Americans and will increase the market cap of your team by I am guessing $400 M to $700 M.    When my wife and I went to the Orioles Angels game last Sept I am guessing at least 1/3 of the crowd was there to see him.  Maybe more.  I saw so many Asians there it was crazy.  Which was great btw as my wife is a hot Asian and many of the Asians there were women.  :)

Anyway the point is, of course overall there are more Asians located in Orange county CA compared to Baltimore, but if you add the surrounding DC and NYC area?   I bet it is pretty comparable.  Not only is the crowd attendance going to go up but so will the publicity.  And that makes the value of the team go up.

If I am PA I try and do this 100%.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Here is the thing.  And this will never happen but if I am Angelos and I am going to sell the team?  I 1000% do this.  Sign Ohtani to a 5 year contract for $xxx...or at least try to.

First of all, since you are selling the team you will not pay for most of the contract. 

But secondly, Ohtani is a HUGE draw for Asian Americans and will increase the market cap of your team by I am guessing $400 M to $700 M.    When my wife and I went to the Orioles Angels game last Sept I am guessing at least 1/3 of the crowd was there to see him.  Maybe more.  I saw so many Asians there it was crazy.  Which was great btw as my wife is a hot Asian and many of the Asians there were women.  :)

Anyway the point is, of course overall there are more Asians located in Orange county CA compared to Baltimore, but if you add the surrounding DC and NYC area?   I bet it is pretty comparable.  Not only is the crowd attendance going to go up but so will the publicity.  And that makes the value of the team go up.

If I am PA I try and do this 100%

Not to mention the Legacy of bringing him to Baltimore. 

2 hours ago, Malike said:

Doesn't matter much at all who in the division does what due to the balanced schedule, if the O's beat the teams they are supposed to beat, they'll likely end up in the playoffs and all bets are off there.

You could say that about all the other teams in the division. There aren't enough wild card spots for everyone. 

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sure, I guess. But in a day and age where making the playoffs is being made easier all the time I feel like they should have made it this year with the talent they had. 

Their manager is terrible. 

They did make it this year.  But I agree they've underachieved.