The Orioles’ ten highest leverage hits of 2023, by WPA

Frobby

In today’s O’Hearn thread, I listed how many hits over .200 WPA were made by each of our players.  There were 67 in total.  Thought it would be fun to review the top 10, all of which had a WPA over .400:

.657 - Cedric Mullins’ 3-run homer with 1 out in the top of the 9th vs. Houston on 9/18, converting a 2-run deficit to a 1-run lead.  The O’s hung on for the 8-7 win.

.629 - Aaron Hicks’ two-run double with two outs in the top of the 9th at Cleveland on 9/22, converting a 7-6 deficit to an 8-7 lead.  But the O’s blew the game in the bottom of the 9th.  

.550 - Gunnar Henderson’s 2-run homer with one out in the bottom of the 8th on 8/25, turning a 4-3 deficit to the Rockies into a 5-4 lead.  O’s won 5-4.

.510 - Adam Frazier’s ground double scoring Jorge Mateo with two outs in the bottom of the 9th on 9/17, tying the game against the Rays.   The O’s eventually won in extra innings, 5-4.   

.482 - Gunnar Henderson’s 2-run homer with 2 outs in the top of the 8th on 6/8, changing a 3-2 deficit to the Brewers to a 4-3 lead.  The O’s went on to win 6-3.

.439 - Adley Rutschman’s 3-run double with 2 outs in the bottom of the 7th on April 14 against the White Sox, converting a 3-1 deficit to a 4-3 lead.   The O’s went on to win 6-3.  

.422 - Adley Rutschman’s RBI single with two outs in the bottom of the 10th against Tampa, tying the game 5-4.   Same game as the Adam Frazier double listed above.  

.421 - Anthony Santander’s walk-off homer with one out in the bottom of the 9th on 6/28 against the Yankees, as the O’s won 1-0.

.412 - Adley Rutschman’s two-run homer with one out in the bottom of the 7th on May 18 against the Angels, converting a 4-3 deficit into a 5-4 lead.  However, the O’s eventually lost 6-5.  

.402 - Adam Frazier’s two-run homer with two outs in the bottom of the 8th on 6/28 against the Reds, erasing a 7-5 deficit.  The O’s eventually lost 11-7 in extra innings.  

It’s funny that some of those huge clutch hits have kind of faded from memory.  Only 3 of these hits came in games that were listed in my ten favorite games of 2023, and only one came in my ten runner-up games.

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, elextrano8 said:

Good thread! Here's video links

That’s awesome and makes this thread so much better!   Thanks for taking the time to find and add those!   How were you able to do it so fast?

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s awesome and makes this thread so much better!   Thanks for taking the time to find and add those!   How were you able to do it so fast?

Mostly just searching Last Name + Date. A few didn't work for whatever reason, but none of them took more a second search, in the vein of "Santander walk off."

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• They were below .500 against every team besides CHW. Judging them by 86 wins is being nice. Ragans and Lugo (and the rest of their pitching) are good but you’re probably going to face better 1-2’s than that if you want to win a WS. And they have one good position player (who’s amazing) but very little after that. That’s not a team that the Orioles should lose to or get swept by. 
    • I don’t think it is doom and gloom on Elias and what is being built here, but this is it.  Full stop.  THIS IS IT.  You can win regular season games with playing for the three outcomes.  But you aren’t going to win those games in the playoffs if you can’t put the bat on the ball, put the ball in play, have some speed and move some runners.  This is where the rubber needs to meet the road and that some players need to be brought in who can do this, and you need to teach some of this to the talent already here.  And if I could bring in one player that is a very reasonable get?  I’d overpay for Luis Arraez.  High average, yeah he doesn’t walk but he also doesn’t strike out.  The ball gets put into play. 
    • 100%. Elias has gotten his team to win 90+ games two years in a row, and that's commendable, but the man hasn't built a team that can win a playoff game yet and he's been here's since what, November of 2018? One more year then it's time to move on without significant playoff success.
    • That seems like a Cowser problem between the ears and not so much of a problem with the Orioles hitting development.  Which sure, I agree with, but I'm not damning the player development system because 1 product of that system psychs himself up so much in clutch situations and can't hit his way out of a paper bag as a result.
    • Lots of failures and mistakes have been made.  First and foremost is the draft-and-development process, almost exclusively for position players, to create hitters who excel at controlling the strike zone, recognizing pitches, and using a balanced all-fields approach.  Not only would that create a very strong lineup but Elias would have so many of these guys in the pipeline that he'd be able to make trades for all the pitching he needs while also restocking the system with prospects.  This is the core tenet of the Elias regime.  He spent a few seasons setting records for futility and making Angelos rich only to have failed miserably at what he was trying to create.  The coaching staff is a mess and should be replaced.  Some of the veterans should not be retained.  New direction and better players need to be added.  Honestly, I don't think Elias is capable of doing much of that even if Dave wants to spend, which we hope is true but don't really know.  Otherwise, I don't think the Orioles will make the playoffs next season. 
    • I have thought for a while that the earliest they’d replace Hyde is next summer, and only if things went very badly between now and then.  Well, something just went very badly. He won’t be fired this winter but this result puts him a lot closer to the hot seat. 
    • KC has pitching and defense and that's what wins in the playoffs.  They made two great plays in the field today, their pitching was DPT.  If you're going to judge them by 86 wins, I don't think that's really fair.
  • Popular Contributors