Gunnar with Oblique injury on opening day and Basallo has stress fracture in elbow and will DH!

Tony-OH

What an absolutely crappy ass morning this has turned out to be.

Rubenstein and Elias are on the clock for reinforcements.

Yes, we have depth, but it's not championship level depth.

And I thought the same thing, WTF were these guys doing in the offseason? Who is managing their workouts?

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I've always felt hitters don't need the full duration of spring training nearly as much as pitchers do.    If a hitter is in good condition and gets 2 weeks of exhibition games in he's probably fine.

Yea I don’t disagree. The only thing I would say is that he isn’t likely going to be doing any kind of hitting for a while.  So no cage work, no tee stuff, etc…that could set him back timing wise and stuff like that.

It may not hurt him at all but my expectation would be that he starts off a little slow to begin the year. 

6 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Heard from my friend who works for the  Orioles that they brought back Brady Anderson. Him and Kate Bush have the players running up that hill .

This isn't football.  The O's don't need to have the players doing 2 a days in the offseason.  I'm impressed but also feel this was stupid for the organization to maybe encourage the players to overwork in the offseason.  I'm upset with the results, but I have to say that I'm impressed that a lot of the players were like "There is no offseason!". 

1 minute ago, dtk9119 said:

What an absolutely crappy ass morning this has turned out to be.

Rubenstein and Elias are on the clock for reinforcements.

Yes, we have depth, but it's not championship level depth.

And I thought the same thing, WTF were these guys doing in the offseason? Who is managing their workouts?

I mean it's 3 injuries and only 2 are on your 40-man. Means' injury happened in September; he's not reinjured, just delayed.

So, 3 injuries is really not bad. It just sucks more because it's 2 of our best players and 1 of our best prospects. 

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea I don’t disagree. The only thing I would say is that he isn’t likely going to be doing any kind of hitting for a while.  So no cage work, no tee stuff, etc…that could set him back timing wise and stuff like that.

It may not hurt him at all but my expectation would be that he starts off a little slow to begin the year. 

The Gunnar news is disappointing but not terrible for now. At least it's not a hamate bone injury that saps power. But Obliques can be tricky too.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The Gunnar news is disappointing but not terrible for now. At least it's not a hamate bone injury that saps power. But Obliques can be tricky too.

Yep. Gotta worry about it lingering or re-injuring. We also don’t know how bad it is. It’s possible that it was more of a minor oblique injury and they are being extra cautious with the 2-3 weeks stuff. 

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That has me stepping back from the ledge a bit.  There was certainly a lot of news to take all at once this morning.  The only one that has me concerned is Bradish, but that's a huge one.  There are some options out there.  Maybe the Orioles negotiating position has weakened with this news but the remaining FAs have to be getting somewhat nervous, too, with all these players reporting.

Edited by Ripken