Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

One observation that I noticed since ST.  And, hey, if it works who cares.  Holliday looks like he’s coming out of his shoes on almost every swing.  I’m sure Cowser, Kjerstad, and Mayo are taking max effort swings too.  But they look more in control.   He’s not a big guy compared to those three, Westburg and Henderson.  It looks like a small guy trying to keep up with the big guys.  And I know that Mookie Betts is not a big guy and you don’t have to be big to generate power but it doesn’t hurt.  

I remember once he was asked about the all-star summer circuit in HS and why he didn’t do so well.  I’ll try to find the interview.  Essentially he said he was trying to do too much.

Good point about the big swing. Sometimes just trying to go opposite field helps guys make a breakthrough, too. I think the last five hits by Mounty were opposite field singles and doubles. And one of those games he got four hits, so he was onto something. 

Edited by NashLumber

Question: why is this thread still on the main board?   For every other prospect, the discussion of what they’re doing in the minor leagues is on the minor league board.  

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Question: why is this thread still on the main board?   For every other prospect, the discussion of what they’re doing in the minor leagues is on the minor league board.  

I agree.  I should be moved or locked.  It's mostly full of negativity towards Holliday.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I agree.  I should be moved or locked.  It's mostly full of negativity towards Holliday.

I don’t even get all the negativity. We don’t even need him right now. Let him figure it out in the minors.

Weiters talk is unwarranted. Soon as you saw him MLB you noticed his twitch level was not elite. Holliday was struggling with mechanics and swing decisions. His bat speed and twitch look fine. 

22 hours ago, Frobby said:

How many of them are the #1 prospect and have MLB experience this year? Would be weird if this is the one rule that is enforced to the letter of the law.

On 5/24/2024 at 9:31 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm not going to pass judgment on the guy, but he's just a guy on the internet. If he really did all these things he can tell us who he is and there are ways of validating that. I'm a little skeptical when he says things like his Dad was a Big 10 coach who worked with Mike Schmidt, who went to Ohio U, not Big 10 school Ohio State. But maybe he ran across Schmidt somewhere else.

I think most people here know my real name from when I was a writer on the site years ago, and it would take about five minutes of Googling to verify that I, in fact, am not the King of Liechtenstein. Everyone knows I was deposed in that coup back in '13.

You're secret is safe with me Jon! Whoops! :D

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2024 at 9:31 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm not going to pass judgment on the guy, but he's just a guy on the internet. If he really did all these things he can tell us who he is and there are ways of validating that. I'm a little skeptical when he says things like his Dad was a Big 10 coach who worked with Mike Schmidt, who went to Ohio U, not Big 10 school Ohio State. But maybe he ran across Schmidt somewhere else.

I think most people here know my real name from when I was a writer on the site years ago, and it would take about five minutes of Googling to verify that I, in fact, am not the King of Liechtenstein. Everyone knows I was deposed in that coup back in '13.

Or when he says he has a 225 PBA average and the top west coast regional avg is 219. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The walks are nice but if you can't slug you're not getting walks up here. For me it's all eyes on the power, that will inform when he's ready.

Edited by interloper

16 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

You're secret is safe with me Jon! Whoops! :D

Wow, I had to keep going back through posts to figure out who was bragadocious and it’s exactly who I thought it would be. Good ole Uncle Rico. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s making adjustments with his swing.  Of course he’s not hitting the same.

He will be up here before July.

That's a bold prediction.

I'm not sure they bring him up until they are comfortable with the number of at bats he's had in AAA for the season and are fine with using him in a mostly platoon role once he is here through the end of the season.