Areas of concern (3)

RZNJ

20 minutes ago, Bruce510 said:

My main concern is our starting pitching and my confusion with that is why Elias would let a disproven accusation keep him from taking a flier on a proven talent who is pitching extremely well right now in Trevor Bauer.

Sign him to an incentive laden deal and let’s see what he can do. 

If you try to tell me that you’d rather see Cole Irvin start a game against the yankees over Bauer, you aren’t being honest with yourself!

Hey everyone, we found Bauer's burner account!

That or this is that Dan Clark guy from Twitter that seems to want to impress Bauer.

Edited by yark14
  • Haha 1

I agree with the original post. Especially about Perez. He was off his game for about half a season last year before he found himself. Irvin has been hit hard in recent exhibition games, and while that makes me nervous, it is just exhibition. Wells got hit around in Spring Training last year but he went on to be the best Orioles pitcher in the first half of the 2023 season after that. So no reason to sound alarm bells about Irvin yet.

With Grayson, I've always been concerned about an injury happening.  Maybe that's just because I've seen too many great pitchers get injured and I read an article about the "Inverted W" theory that got me all paranoid. Pitchers like Mark Prior and Steven Strasberg come to mind with regards to this theory. They were on the track to become legends of the game but injuries derailed their careers. 

Grayson throws very hard and we saw the injury in AAA happen too, so that makes me over analyze.

My other concerns are more long term. I'm concerned Wells will run out of gas half way through the season again. I'm also concerned he will give up too many home runs in spite of otherwise pitching pretty good. I'm concerned that Means will have another set back after he returns.

Other than that, I'd just be making up concerns from thinking too anxiously and being a worry wort.

10 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Side note - I never saw anyone butcher more names while broadcasting games as Brooks Robinson did, but he did it in the most adorable and innocent way, that we had to love it.

Joe At the belly. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Cowser seems like he’s turning into the exact opposite of the type of player I thought we was when we drafted him.   He swings and misses a lot but has impressive power when he gets hold of one.  

Didn't they rework his swing to get to his power? I don't think Cowser has settled into what player he will become yet, high average vs power. He still as a great eye to draw walks but can he hit heat and offspeed?

I am concerned about Cowser who is 3-21 in his last at bats.  I hope he will be the earlier spring Cowser instead of the lately Cowser?  He was over matched in his last 2 at bats.  I don't understand why Kjerstadt was optioned?  Also Baker had a 1.29 ERA and he was optioned.

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2024/03/24/orioles-option-baker-release-teheran-wong/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=orioles-option-baker-release-teheran-wong&utm_source=BaltimoreBaseball.com+List&utm_campaign=b10a64afc9-RSS_MAILCHIMP&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_cddc084dff-b10a64afc9-229041152&mc_cid=b10a64afc9&mc_eid=e501cd7381

12 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I am concerned about Cowser who is 3-21 in his last at bats.  I hope he will be the earlier spring Cowser instead of the lately Cowser?  He was over matched in his last 2 at bats.  I don't understand why Kjerstadt was optioned?  Also Baker had a 1.29 ERA and he was optioned.

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2024/03/24/orioles-option-baker-release-teheran-wong/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=orioles-option-baker-release-teheran-wong&utm_source=BaltimoreBaseball.com+List&utm_campaign=b10a64afc9-RSS_MAILCHIMP&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_cddc084dff-b10a64afc9-229041152&mc_cid=b10a64afc9&mc_eid=e501cd7381

Baker had an option remaining and Webb does not so that basically was the difference. My guess is Baker will pitch at least 30 innings this year with the Orioles. The opening day roster is not the roster the Orioles are going to use all year. It's set to keep the most depth in the organization.

14 hours ago, Bruce510 said:

My main concern is our starting pitching and my confusion with that is why Elias would let a disproven accusation keep him from taking a flier on a proven talent who is pitching extremely well right now in Trevor Bauer.

Sign him to an incentive laden deal and let’s see what he can do. 

If you try to tell me that you’d rather see Cole Irvin start a game against the yankees over Bauer, you aren’t being honest with yourself!

It’s amazing how all 30 teams are passing on this “proven talent” solely based on a “disproven accusation,” no matter how bad their pitching staff is.   🥹

• Upvote 2

Irvin is my biggest worry at this moment. I know it’s spring training but I don’t understand how you couldn’t be concerned about 13 walks and 2 hit batters in 17 innings. 

2 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Irvin is my biggest worry at this moment. I know it’s spring training but I don’t understand how you couldn’t be concerned about 13 walks and 2 hit batters in 17 innings. 

For a guy whose command is his calling card.  

56 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Does this guys create these charts or finds them somewhere? Seems like he's getting the data from fangraphs which is getting them from statcast.

I just saw it on twitter but I think he creates them from the data he has.  One thing to note in that is him talking about how the numbers on GRod’s sinker are very good for a sinker.

On 3/23/2024 at 9:41 PM, RZNJ said:

1.  GRod.  I’m eager to see how he looks tomorrow.  So far, he looks like 1st half GRod and I said that after his 1st and 2nd start this spring.   If he pitches like he did last April/May it’s going to be very disappointing and make it tougher to get off to a good start.

2. Cole Irvin.  Bad start last year.   Looked great his first time out.  Scary his last two times.  His excuses don’t make sense.  He threw 94-95 with command his first start.  Now, he says he’s dialing it back to have better command.  Hmmm.   If he and GRod get off like last year, again, tough to overcome.

3. Cionel Perez.  They gave him a lot of rope last year.   Most relievers looked good this spring.   He did not.    Without Felix we need a deep bullpen with no weak links.   He’s scaring me.

Frankly, besides Cedric not being up to speed yet, I feel pretty comfortable with everything else.

It’s the same issues basically that we began the offseason with. 

Burnes replaces Bradish.

Kimbrel replaces Bautista. 

Tate replaces Fuji.

Are we ok with Wells and Irvin in the rotation?  Who is the depth behind them?  How does that affect the bullpen. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s the same issues basically that we began the offseason with. 

Burnes replaces Bradish.

Kimbrel replaces Bautista. 

Tate replaces Fuji.

Are we ok with Wells and Irvin in the rotation?  Who is the depth behind them?  How does that affect the bullpen. 

I think that, like the last two years, Wells will do very well in the rotation in the first half of the season.  The big question is whether he’ll be able to pitch effectively in the second half.  That becomes less important if Means and Bradish are both back.  As to Irvin, I’m disappointed with how he’s pitched this spring.   Hopefully he only has to make 3-4 starts before Means is back.