Could the Orioles be in on Jordan Montgomery after the season officially starts?

Tony-OH

Am I the only one who isn’t very impressed with Montgomery?  He’s like the crappy toys in a 711 when you were a kid.  You see the toy section when you go inside to get a snack and you really really want a toy.  You know the toys are crappy but you don’t care because you just really really want a toy.  

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Am I the only one who isn’t very impressed with Montgomery?  He’s like the crappy toys in a 711 when you were a kid.  You see the toy section when you go inside to get a snack and you really really want a toy.  You know the toys are crappy but you don’t care because you just really really want a toy.  

Montgomery is built for our ballpark. He’d be an absolute weapon in a playoff series behind Burnes.

The only way he was coming here is if Rubenstein really wanted him and to make a splash. I don’t think Elias was going to bang the table that JM was absolutely necessary as his first move/impression with the new owner. 

56 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If the bolded portion is true, then we will de dependent on great injury luck/magic for the starting pitching staff because that will mean that we can't make meaningful additions at the deadline (similar to last season).

Once Rubenstein’s group officially owns the franchise they’re free to spend what they like whenever they want on the team.  In large part the franchise’s balance sheet determines the sale price so of course JA will want things like payroll and additional long-term obligations capped during the acquisition process, otherwise he could receive less.  Personally I prefer the current situation to the risk of a renegotiation breaking out.  This year’s active payroll looks to be around $100 million which is sufficient to not damage the product in the short term. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Montgomery is built for our ballpark. He’d be an absolute weapon in a playoff series behind Burnes.

The only way he was coming here is if Rubenstein really wanted him and to make a splash. I don’t think Elias was going to bang the table that JM was absolutely necessary as his first move/impression with the new owner. 

I’ll admit I should have take a closer look at his page before posting.  He’s been better than I thought.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Dating back to the year after COVID, his last 3 years ERA were 3.83, 3.48, and 3.20.  How is that crappy?

Edited by O's84

5 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Dating back to the year after COVID, his last 3 years ERA were 3.83, 3.48, and 3.20.  How is that crappy?

8 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I’ll admit I should have take a closer look at his page before posting.  He’s been better than I thought.  

• Upvote 1

It is not clear at all who made the call on this and of course we will never know. But the one thing that has been consistent is the Orioles under this ownership NEVER gets the free agent if any other teams are competing for them . 
The only major mega free agent sign was Chris Davis and there Angelos was schnookered to be bidding against himself. 

Winning in 2024 which had seemed so much of a priority with Burnes trade and new ownership now has taken huge steps backward with injury to Bradish (imho the Os PR aside the odds are he will have to have  TJ surgery this year), the continuing uncertainty and current unavailability of John Means,   the huge failure to keep Jackson on this team from the opening bell, the failure to sign any other starting or bullpen help at all.. and now not topping a 25 million one year deal to an ideal top notch playoff and World Series pitcher to try to win in 2024.  No we get Tony frigging Kemp! 

This team certainly has enough talent to overcome these mistakes by Elias and by ownership but certainly it does not demonstrate the type of commitment I wanted to see as to winning it all in 2024.  

Edited by tntoriole

4 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

It is not clear at all who made the call on this and of course we will never know. But the one thing that has been consistent is the Orioles under this ownership NEVER gets the free agent if any other teams are competing for them . 
The only major mega free agent sign was Chris Davis and there Angelos was schnookered to be bidding against himself. 

Winning in 2024 which had seemed so much of a priority with Burnes trade and new ownership now has taken huge steps backward with injury to Bradish (imho the Os PR aside the odds are he will have to have  TJ surgery this year), the continuing uncertainty and current unavailability of John Means,   the huge failure to keep Jackson on this team from the opening bell, the failure to sign any other starting or bullpen help at all.. and now not topping a 25 million one year deal to an ideal top notch playoff and World Series pitcher to try to win in 2024.  No we get Tony frigging Kemp! 

This team certainly has enough talent to overcome these mistakes by Elias and by ownership but certainly it does not demonstrate the type of commitment I wanted to see as to winning it all in 2024.  

It is concerning that we have continued not to do everything that we can to give ourselves the best chance we can to compete for a championship. It has almost felt like some sort of refusal to let go of the rebuilding strategy and fully embrace/chart a different course toward pursing a World Series trophy. Hopefully things change under Rubenstein.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

It is concerning that we have continued not to do everything that we can to give ourselves the best chance we can to compete for a championship. It has almost felt like some sort of refusal to let go of the rebuilding strategy and fully embrace/chart a different course toward pursing a World Series trophy. Hopefully things change under Rubenstein.

I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes that we will never even get a glimpse at.  Obviously the owner plays a big role.  But, also the FA players have to want to come here.  I don’t want to turn this into a BMore is a crappy place (I love it) thread/post, but these are young men, with young families and there are a lot more attractive, and frankly less expensive, places to raise your family than  Baltimore, Maryland. Taxes are absurd(2.5 v 5.75 income AZ v MD), it’s super expensive, and has had bad press consistently for quite a while now.  It would take quite an overpay to lure a FA.  

49 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes that we will never even get a glimpse at.  Obviously the owner plays a big role.  But, also the FA players have to want to come here.  I don’t want to turn this into a BMore is a crappy place (I love it) thread/post, but these are young men, with young families and there are a lot more attractive, and frankly less expensive, places to raise your family than  Baltimore, Maryland. Taxes are absurd(2.5 v 5.75 income AZ v MD), it’s super expensive, and has had bad press consistently for quite a while now.  It would take quite an overpay to lure a FA.  

You are right, we don't know what is going on behind the scenes. And everything that you say could be true in terms of the attractiveness of the city. But as the saying goes, "MONEY talks ... and [the rest] walks."

I don't believe that Baltimore is some sort of cursed place where no ballplayers want to live. It doesn't seem that this issue impacts any other market who wants to acquire players. The taxes are high here, that is very true, ridiculous in the area that I live!

However, you know who else has high taxes CA and NY and their franchises never seem to have this issue as an impediment to landing the players that they really want.

A number of things intrigue me. We have spent a lot of time over the years complaining about an ownership "that meddled." We really don't want an ownership that "meddles," do we? What I have heard very often is give the GM and his team a budget and let them run the business. That could very well be simply what's at play here.

I, like many, saw the logic in signing Montgomery to a contract like he recieved. Perhaps, this year's budget was already set, and new ownership wasn't going to usurp what had previously been decided beforehand. Perhaps new ownership's model will be to continue letting Elias run the business within the budget guidelines. I for one hope that is the case whether I agree with all of Elias's decisions or not. I just hope and want to believe, future budget allotments will allow for more major league team investment - more flexability if you would.

I don't want an owner who thinks they are smarter than their GM. Been there done that. So, I am riding with no Montgomery and looking forward to how a new ownership/GM team and future budget allotments play out.

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’d say that maybe Elias just doesn’t like JM’s profile as a pitcher.

I think it might just come down to this.  He doesn’t think Montgomery will continue to be worth the money.  And he may be confident that Means and Bradish will be available and capable sooner rather than later.