Orioles Sign INF/OF Tony Kemp

Why would they sign him to a guaranteed contract worth 1 mil if they intended to release him after a month?

This just makes no sense and reeks of Odor and Frazier. At least those guys had some upside with the bat. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it?

I wouldn't say it's the industry norm at the moment.

Don't know if it's the norm.  A couple more weeks in the minors for another year of control?  That would seem very advantageous to the club.  However, I do think it's starting to get the wrong kind of attention.  We are not there yet but, IF there becomes a perception that the Orioles are slow to give MLB opportunities, it could make it harder to sign those young, high profile prospects/amateurs.  Also, while I don't agree with the thread about Matt Holliday being upset, I imagine the decision to keep Jackson out of Baltimore right now may come up if/when the Orioles have contract negotiations with him.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is just an incredibly stupid signing.

Yeah...as much as I give the benefit of the doubt to Elias, this boggles the mind.  The only plus about it is it's only 1 million and not the 8 million that was spent on Frazier last season.

Not having Holliday on the OD was disappointing, but there's at least a deferred gratification carrot associate with it.  That decision was made in isolation from this one.

Having a Nevin, Kemp, or Wong as the last bat is near irrelevant. 

What does the $260k over league minimum really buy that Mateo/Urias (or even Wong) didn't?  Meh...  I don't think it's enough to be pot committed to playing Kemp.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

.333/.391/.619, in 23 PA this ST. He’s less Frazier/Odor and more like Jake Cave/Sam Hilliard/Ryan O’Hearn. Gotta seperate Holliday from this move. Eventually Kemp beats out Nevin once we go back to only a 4 man bench.

So, Thursday?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Guys please don’t criticize Elias. I am sure that somewhere between his omniscient capabilities and Sig’s super-genius, AI, future precision predicting computers; this move makes perfect sense! 

Yeah I love comments like this, Yes this move would have  made more sense 3 or 4 years ago, but its today and the only reason you get to condescend Mike Elias is because of what hes done the last  5 years ( build this team into a real contender ) You're doing a good job keep up the good work.