Great day to be an O’s fan

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

There were some pretty wild things said in the thread announcing his death -- stuff that wasn't true and didn't need to be said. I remember responding to a post that said his overall tenure as owner was positive for the franchise. 

Nobody in their right mind would actually believe that. 

Right.  But that doesn't make this board "the biggest Peter Angelos Fan Club" all of a sudden.

You're taking one post that was kind of weird and running with it, which is a bit obnoxious.  I don't think many people at all think that Peter Angelos was a good owner, but to ignore the life he led and to focus on the one thing he got wrong is narrow minded and shows no interest in being honest.

But when you're a hammer, everything's a nail.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Right.  But that doesn't make this board "the biggest Peter Angelos Fan Club" all of a sudden.

You're taking one post that was kind of weird and running with it, which is a bit obnoxious.  I don't think many people at all think that Peter Angelos was a good owner, but to ignore the life he led and to focus on the one thing he got wrong is narrow minded and shows no interest in being honest.

There were many similar posts in that thread. I just used that one as an example. 

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We did win 101 games last year and traded for a pitcher that is favored to win the AL CYA. With the #1 farm system in baseball. 

Who was having not “great” days recently as O’s fans?  

I had a few not great days in October.

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

There were some pretty wild things said in the thread announcing his death -- stuff that wasn't true and didn't need to be said. I remember responding to a post that said his overall tenure as owner was positive for the franchise. 

It’s bad form to speak ill of a person who just died.  There’s been plenty of pixels spent on that topic at other times, and there will be more in the future.  Of course, that doesn’t mean we have to act like the guy was a great owner, just focus on his positive things he’s accomplished and leave the rest for another time.  PA hasn’t been involved for at least 5 years anyway, it’s his son who’s being supplanted as the O’s control person. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s bad form to speak ill of a person who just died.  There’s been plenty of pixels spent on that topic at other times, and there will be more in the future.  Of course, that doesn’t mean we have to act like the guy was a great owner, just focus on his positive things he’s accomplished and leave the rest for another time.  PA hasn’t been involved for at least 5 years anyway, it’s his son who’s being supplanted as the O’s control person. 

Nobody expects anyone to talk ill of a person who just died, but there's also no reason to make up outlandish things just to score points on classiness. 

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol. Isn't this what you're doing?

• Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, dystopia said:

But like, I do think that. I think that if you look at where we are today, the positives over PA's tenure outweigh the negatives. It's not an unreasonable take.

1 minute ago, elextrano8 said:

But like, I do think that. I think that if you look at where we are today, the positives over PA's tenure outweigh the negatives. It's not an unreasonable take.

We had a team go 0-21 to start a season and the O's under Angelos had three separate teams that lost more games.

Zero rings, zero WS appearances.

For multiple stretches during his tenure as owner the O's were a national punchline among baseball fans and O's fans were the subject of pity from other fanbases.

I think that take overly weighs the potential of the current situation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AlbNYfan said:

Yep, the poor new owners are buying a franchise in such poor shape. 101 win season, new stadium contract, top rated farm system, new developmental program in the DR......such a mess, so many problems to solve.

All of these things and when you open the popular threads on the board, they're all negative. I'm just as guilty of this as anyone, but this org is in such good shape right now. There shouldn't be so much negativity around here.

9 minutes ago, elextrano8 said:

The Buck Showalter years definitely moderated the negativity around his ownership. It was really bad going into those years.

Just now, LookinUp said:

The Buck Showalter years definitely moderated the negativity around his ownership. It was really bad going into those years.

The team was under .500 those years.

They weren't that great.

They had a nice little run, shame they couldn't cash in like the Royals did.

1 minute ago, spleen1015 said:

All of these things and when you open the popular threads on the board, they're all negative. I'm just as guilty of this as anyone, but this org is in such good shape right now. There shouldn't be so much negativity around here.

Whether he was lucky or good, JA's complete rebuild has set this team up fabulously. I know some wanted spending sooner, and just more in general, but it's inarguable that the new ownership is inheriting a near-perfect situation. He has payroll flexibility, player assets, systems in place throughout the minors, a well-functioning international program and a team coming off a 101 win season. John Angelos deserves a ton of credit for that, even if Elias is the person who led the way.