Corbin Burnes 2024

Spy Fox

It's hard to complain about what Burnes has done and it's certainly not his fault the O's are 0-4 in his last four starts, but he came with a hype that's hard to live up to. So many analysts were saying "the Orioles finally have a real Game 1 starter for October!" but right now it's hard to imagine him mowing down the Phillies or whoever.

24 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

He's a terrific pitcher, no doubt, but a major league starter has to be able to give us 95-100 pitches....Fatigue at 85? I think thats weak...Jon Lester would've gone 7 or 8...so would many in that era...the reason this pen is overworked is because our pitchers dont go deep enough into the game.

8 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

It's hard to complain about what Burnes has done and it's certainly not his fault the O's are 0-4 in his last four starts, but he came with a hype that's hard to live up to. So many analysts were saying "the Orioles finally have a real Game 1 starter for October!" but right now it's hard to imagine him mowing down the Phillies or whoever.

Yeah no shade to him, as the ERA speaks for itself and the offense has been brutal behind him. But he has gone against Berrios, Trevor Williams, Luis Gil, and Ross Stripling his last 4 games and was out pitched by Williams and Gil. He did leave with the lead against Berrios and Stripling, but 3 of those 4 offenses are mediocre to bad so far this year, and it would be nice to see him dominate a team (he had an 8/5 K/BB ratio in those 2 games he left with a lead). 

He’s great and I’m happy he’s an Oriole. But if Bradish is healthy and there’s a winner take all game, I’d go with him at this point. Going back to June 1st of last year, they have very similar K, BB, and GB rates, with Bradish slightly beating out Burnes in each category (and a little bit more pronounced if you go back to August 1st instead). He’s been a better pitcher the last calendar year. As a fan, I’m happy they’re both Orioles.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

He's a terrific pitcher, no doubt, but a major league starter has to be able to give us 95-100 pitches....Fatigue at 85? I think thats weak...Jon Lester would've gone 7 or 8...so would many in that era...the reason this pen is overworked is because our pitchers dont go deep enough into the game.

I hear you... in terms of past eras. But I believe some recent posts here have shown our rotation is going as deep as most staffs, in the era we're in. The nature of the beast. Solution: a better bullpen. 

39 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I agree. They baby all the pitchers now.

23 minutes ago, now said:

I hear you... in terms of past eras. But I believe some recent posts here have shown our rotation is going as deep as most staffs, in the era we're in. The nature of the beast. Solution: a better bullpen. 

I think getting a hard throwing reliever is going to be a top priority for Elias at the trade deadline. The bullpen has done well, but it's missing a guy you can bring in who can overpower hitters. During the playoffs in a tight spot with runners on 2B and 3B it would be good to have an option like the team had in Bautista last year.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Why? In 9 starts he’s only given up 3 ERs twice.  He’s been darn good.   Seems pretty easy to imagine him mowing down just about anyone he faces.   

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Boy I don't like that from Burnes much at all, but it's May, so whatever I guess. Guess Hyde can be let off the hook for pulling him.

Do we know what the question was? I read that as the reporter was trying to get him to disagree with the decision and he was just explaining why he went along with it. 

He has been able to get by without his best stuff quite often this year.

He has been very good overall but he has done absolutely nothing to make even remotely second guess the idea of letting him go and not pay him some huge contract.

He has to get back to getting more Ks and missing more bats. I just didn’t think he had a lot yesterday and he knew it. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He has been able to get by without his best stuff quite often this year.

He has been very good overall but he has done absolutely nothing to make even remotely second guess the idea of letting him go and not pay him some huge contract.

He has to get back to getting more Ks and missing more bats. I just didn’t think he had a lot yesterday and he knew it. 

Yeah. But that's kind of been every start for him this year. Very good pitcher, but he's not dominating out there and that's what we traded for. He should be blowing teams like the Jays away with ease. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah. But that's kind of been every start for him this year. Very good pitcher, but he's not dominating out there and that's what we traded for. He should be blowing teams like the Jays away with ease. 

He sure as hell shouldn’t struggle to get out a guy hitting .097.

• Upvote 1