Ryan Mountcastle 2024

10 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Will Mounty finally top .800 this year?  

Me too.  I don’t take too much from 35 games played, though. 

It really does paint a picture of this year’s run suppression when you see his OPS is .042 lower than 2020 while his OPS+ is 5 points higher.  

I love that his avg EV, HardH%, and Oppo% are all at career highs.  His BB % is at a career low but so are his Whiff%, Chase%, and K%.  

It looks to me like has improved a bit and is becoming the best possible version of himself.  

• Upvote 1

2021: .713 OPS at 62 team games; subsequent low .687 (game 65); subsequent high .821 (game 132); final OPS .796.

2022: .725 OPS at 62 team games; subsequent low .709 (game 129); subsequent high .826 (game 80); final OPS .729.

2023: .686 OPS at 62 team games; subsequent low .688 game 90)( subsequent high .807 (game 130); final OPS .779.

Mountcastle is currently at .830 after 62 games.   That is more than 100 points higher than he’s ever been at this point in a season.  To this point in his career, he’s always finished the season higher than he was after 62 games (+.083, +.004, +.093, despite a bit of a roller coaster to get there.  

Last year, game 62 was his last game before he went on the IL with vertigo.  He was at his absolute nadir.   What a difference a year makes.  

I have little doubt that Mounty will experience a serious slump at some point this year, but he’s in a great position to have the best season of his career right now.  

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

2021: .713 OPS at 62 team games; subsequent low .687 (game 65); subsequent high .821 (game 132); final OPS .796.

2022: .725 OPS at 62 team games; subsequent low .709 (game 129); subsequent high .826 (game 80); final OPS .729.

2023: .686 OPS at 62 team games; subsequent low .688 game 90)( subsequent high .807 (game 130); final OPS .779.

Mountcastle is currently at .830 after 62 games.   That is more than 100 points higher than he’s ever been at this point in a season.  To this point in his career, he’s always finished the season higher than he was after 62 games (+.083, +.004, +.093, despite a bit of a roller coaster to get there.  

Last year, game 62 was his last game before he went on the IL with vertigo.  He was at his absolute nadir.   What a difference a year makes.  

I have little doubt that Mounty will experience a serious slump at some point this year, but he’s in a great position to have the best season of his career right now.  

Hes actually a little farther along this year as average ops is down,just hope the slump does not last too long, he is way more fun when he goes good. Can really get on youre nerves when he isn't though.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Best season of his career?  Who would have guessed that?!?!?  😄

Thank you.  It looks like it was me.

RZNJ

Plus Member

Author

Posted January 15

On 1/15/2024 at 9:33 AM,  wildbillhiccup said:

Wouldn't it make more sense to trade Mountcastle, who actually has some trade value, and give the majority of 1B ABs to Kjerstad who has nothing left to prove at AAA? Then just just O'Hearn as a spot starter or a fall back plan if Kjerstad struggles? 

1.  I think Mountcastle is primed for his best year.

2. From what I saw, Kjerstad is not a 1B.

3. Santander can be the backup 1B.

4. If Kjerstad struggles, Mayo, Cowser, Norby.

P.S. I wasn’t going to prematurely pat myself on the back like others do at every opportunity but since someone else tried to (surprise! surprise!) why not.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

He was due a breakout year at some point. Let’s not ruin it by patting ourselves on the back. 

No question. He has been hitting into bad luck for a few years. That’s a big reason why I have thought this is his career year. At some point, the luck has to change.

It’s also why I wouldn’t keep him.  Let someone else buy into this being a career renaissance. And who knows, if he got out of OPACY, perhaps an 800+ OpS would become more of the norm for him?

Were prior years more bad luck?  Or this year more a career year?  (Taking away the both option)

Feels like prior years were more heavily influenced by "bad luck" and this year matches expectations a bit more.

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

No question. He has been hitting into bad luck for a few years. That’s a big reason why I have thought this is his career year. At some point, the luck has to change.

It’s also why I wouldn’t keep him.  Let someone else buy into this being a career renaissance. And who knows, if he got out of OPACY, perhaps an 800+ OpS would become more of the norm for him?

If we were to trade him in The off season, what sort of return could he command assuming he stays on this current path?

I believe after this year he has two years remaining of club control.

12 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Were prior years more bad luck?  Or this year more a career year?  (Taking away the both option)

Feels like prior years were more heavily influenced by "bad luck" and this year matches expectations a bit more.

He’s not that much better than his career numbers and his walk rate is as low as ever.   A little bit premature to declare this a career year.

33 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He’s not that much better than his career numbers and his walk rate is as low as ever.   A little bit premature to declare this a career year.

That's the vibe I get when reading some posts.  I look at his 2024 stats as expected.  And a quality 1B option thru the arb years.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Hes actually quite a bit better than expected. His OPS+ is way up, His defense WAR is his best. It is premature to declare this his best year only because the rest of year has not happened yet. Who Knows maybe today is his last game this year.