Jackson Holliday serving notice

Pat Kelly

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So was he making the team out of ST when he got hurt or was he going down regardless?

I thought he’d be on the team.  But then again, I thought for sure Holliday would make the team this year.  What do I know?  I just think that if the goal was to get an extra year, they’d have made damn sure they got an extra year.  Seems like an unforced error if they tired and missed.  

The scorer gave him the throwing error - it was an underhand feed to SS Errol Robinson trying to start a 4-6-3 double play.    I only saw it live but it didn't look like that bad of a feed to me.

Both defenses were terrible.    Junior Caminero dropped a pop-up in Norfolk's big inning, and there was some other Benny Hill stuff.

Holliday, Mayo and Kjerstad all gave some back in Durham's big inning, when three of the errors occurred.

Kjerstad's fielding error was just plain dropping a routine 4-3 groundout.    Holliday's throw was a little low, maybe shin high.

Mayo's throwing error a batter or two later - I think he may have been spooked some by the 1B having just dropped one from another infielder.    It was a couple hopper Mayo was playing deep against a stronger bat, and he had to go a step or two right and back to glove it.    A play to showcase his arm strength.

The throw was bad - low and kind of into the baseline near where the oncoming runner was.     A play it was glaringly clear Kjerstad is a novice 1B.    A good 1B may not have been able to make it, but it didn't look like Kjerstad even knew how to try and make the play.     He just kind of watched it skip past.

1B Kjerstad and RF Norby notable defensive assignments for the Game 1 lineup.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The scorer gave him the throwing error - it was an underhand feed to SS Errol Robinson trying to start a 4-6-3 double play.    I only saw it live but it didn't look like that bad of a feed to me.

Both defenses were terrible.    Junior Caminero dropped a pop-up in Norfolk's big inning, and there was some other Benny Hill stuff.

Holliday, Mayo and Kjerstad all gave some back in Durham's big inning, when three of the errors occurred.

Kjerstad's fielding error was just plain dropping a routine 4-3 groundout.    Holliday's throw was a little low, maybe shin high.

Mayo's throwing error a batter or two later - I think he may have been spooked some by the 1B having just dropped one from another infielder.    It was a couple hopper Mayo was playing deep against a stronger bat, and he had to go a step or two right and back to glove it.    A play to showcase his arm strength.

The throw was bad - low and kind of into the baseline near where the oncoming runner was.     A play it was glaringly clear Kjerstad is a novice 1B.    A good 1B may not have been able to make it, but it didn't look like Kjerstad even knew how to try and make the play.     He just kind of watched it skip past.

Yuck 

Holliday's 5 PA though, beauties all.     The HR video's been posted, it was on a 2-1 pitch.

PA 2, rematch with Mason Montgomery.    It was a man on 3rd, less than 2 out situation.   Long PA, count went full, there were several foul offs of 3-2 pitches.    The sac fly was to straight away LF, plenty deep for the runner to score easy.

PA 3-4 were with a RH reliever.    The lineout in PA3 was attack mode on an early pitch, right at the RF.     Looking at the Savant readouts after having been there, it reminds me he ended up making 2 of the Tides 3 outs in that big 2nd inning, but both PA seemed plenty run production friendly to me.

PA 4 single was a clean liner into CF, PA 5 double was a bullet right past the first baseman.

Norby, Kjerstad and Mayo all looked good at the plate, and RF Norby had a clean game along with his four hits.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Not an excuse at all, but playing baseball in 20mph winds really freaking sucks.  Just throws everything off, not just balls in the air.   Tomorrow supposed to be much nicer.  

At this point in time based on what I've seen to this point in 2024 (and some of 2023), I'm going to say our best defensive 2B in the origination right now is Jordan Westburg.

Both Holliday and Mateo need to get adjusted to the new position. So does Kjerstad playing 1B for that matter. (Probably Norby in the OF too.)

Give it a few weeks and they'll probably look more like they belong there.

Hope Elias lets this play a little while,  we have the position players to win right now. It's the pitching that has to be strengthened, not sure what Bradish or Means are going to be. I'm hoping Elias is just slow playing Means because of weaker schedule to start season, Bradish is scary.

13 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Isn't Urias a better defensive 3B and Westburg a better defensive 2B. I would be surprised if the lineup against RHP is the reverse of the above.

Last year's OAA for both would say no.

Saying that, I did understand why Westburg DH'd and Mateo played 2B against the lefty. Mateo is more versatile than Westburg and could have moved to the outfield if needed. 

12 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Both Holliday and Mateo need to get adjusted to the new position. So does Kjerstad playing 1B for that matter. (Probably Norby in the OF too.)

Holliday and Mateo just need to work on the feeds and turns at 2B.  Everything else will fall into place quickly.

Kjerstad shouldn’t own 1B mitt.  

Only question I have with Norby in RF is his arm strength.  He seemed solid in LF last year.

31 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Only question I have with Norby in RF is his arm strength.  He seemed solid in LF last year.

There are some guys whose arms play better in the OF than the IF.   Perhaps Norby will be one of those.   

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

Holliday and Mateo just need to work on the feeds and turns at 2B.  Everything else will fall into place quickly.

Kjerstad shouldn’t own 1B mitt.  

Norby made a very strong and accurate throw to 3rd last night on a ball hit to him, which he initially misplayed, throwing out the runner. Seemed more than suitable to me, at least on that one play.