Gunnar Henderson 2024

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Have we?

I'm not going to complain about it.  "Private schools" in the south are set up this way...sometimes, not all the time.  Basically a way to keep white kids integrated.

That doesn't mean that everyone there's racist.  But hard to have people wanting nuanced conversations these days.

Anyway, Gunnar has given every impression that he's an upstanding guy.  Trying to make some assertion about his character based on where his parents sent him to school is ridiculous.  

Yep, one poster in particular made some comments about it.  Maybe more than once or maybe more than one poster. 

No one wants to out and out say what issue they have, but it's been mentioned.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep, one poster in particular made some comments about it.  Maybe more than once or maybe more than one poster. 

No one wants to out and out say what issue they have, but it's been mentioned.

Thought it was kinda odd he's the only notable alumni to come through there, actually.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Weird.  But whatever.  

Jeremy Lee is pitching in high-A for the Twins, he's an alum of that school. I'm not sure how many I'd expect from a town with a population of 17,000 people.

16 minutes ago, Malike said:

Jeremy Lee is pitching in high-A for the Twins, he's an alum of that school. I'm not sure how many I'd expect from a town with a population of 17,000 people.

I mean more notable for anything.

It's been around 60 years and you don't even have a State Senator or CEO to crow about?

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I mean more notable for anything.

It's been around 60 years and you don't even have a State Senator or CEO to crow about?

Or a guy that went to Alabama and made it to an NFL practice squad?  Football is huge there.

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

What's your point?

I mean it is kinda surprising that a place didn't admit it's first black student until 2008.  That is more than a bit screwed up.  Doesn't make Gunnar a racist and maybe the school went through big changes, but it is a bad look on the school for being segregated that long.

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I mean it is kinda surprising that a place didn't admit it's first black student until 2008.  That is more than a bit screwed up.  Doesn't make Gunnar a racist and maybe the school went through big changes, but it is a bad look on the school for being segregated that long.

It's not that surprising because it's Alabama though.

20 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Or a guy that went to Alabama and made it to an NFL practice squad?  Football is huge there.

Not sure, maybe there just isn't much talent in that part of AL. Even Selma High School, which is free has like 5 noteworthy alumni.