Grayson Rodriguez 2024

Spy Fox

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is actually three starts in a row where his fastball command wasn’t good.   But at least he was commanding his other pitches last night.   He was a little fortunate yesterday IMO, but we’ll take it!

At least 3. Quite frankly the only time he’s looked sharp this year is the first game against the Angels, but his secondary pitches are good enough where he can still get by. He needs to get that WHIP down if he wants to keep this up though. 

• 3 weeks later...

I can’t believe that 8 hours after Grayson stepped off the mound, I’m the first person to update his thread.  

After a 19-day IL stint and without a rehab stint, Grayson threw 6 innings of one-hit shutout ball last night.  The one hit was an infield squibber hit 59.5 mph off the bat.  His command was a tad shaky at times, as he walked three and hit a batter, but he still breezed through 6 innings on 82 pitches, 50 for strikes.  If it hadn’t been his first outing in three weeks, he certainly could have pitched the 7th inning.  Unfortunately, the bullpen blew it for him.

Fastball topped out at 98.4 and he was still hitting 97 in his final inning.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IPlayGM said:

When he first came up, his slider was very mediocre and only really used as a get me over change of pace. Now it seems like a weapon. I wonder if he went to school with Professor Bradish for that.

His slider was a good pitch in 2021-22 before his lat injury.   What you saw in early 2023 was not his normal slider.  

• Like 1

Exciting night.     His arm could still explode on his next pitch like anybody, but the scenario feels very Dodgers.

The rosiest scenario is Bradish and Grayson spend the rest of their Orioles pitching careers like Glasnow or Yamamoto, or Ohtani starting next year.

He was a hand-me-down from Duquette, but he's the one getting to have the career so far that Sigbot envisioned for Brady Aiken or Forrest Whitley.     Watching management manage and the player want to be unshackled figures to be fine entertainment.

I guess an arbitrator wouldn't give money for regular season stats you were forecasted to have but didn't have because your talent was being rationed.    I'm fuzzy if postseason stats get to count in arbitration.

10 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Exciting night.     His arm could still explode on his next pitch like anybody, but the scenario feels very Dodgers.

The rosiest scenario is Bradish and Grayson spend the rest of their Orioles pitching careers like Glasnow or Yamamoto, or Ohtani starting next year.

He was a hand-me-down from Duquette, but he's the one getting to have the career so far that Sigbot envisioned for Brady Aiken or Forrest Whitley.     Watching management manage and the player want to be unshackled figures to be fine entertainment.

I guess an arbitrator wouldn't give money for regular season stats you were forecasted to have but didn't have because your talent was being rationed.    I'm fuzzy if postseason stats get to count in arbitration.

Duquette gave us Kremer and Means too. He did a much better job than people gave us credit for. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Duquette gave us Kremer and Means too. He did a much better job than people gave us credit for. 

I am very happy with our Dean Kremer but joking around Elias has been very sharp and you wonder what he might have done with a Manny Machado comp pick.

Seth Johnson went in 2019 Comp A a couple picks ahead of Gunnar Henderson at the top of the 2nd round.

37 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

You aren't going to impress me with Kremer being the only decent player they got for Machado.  Sorry, that isn't an example of his competence.  As for Means, he got his improvement as a result of going outside of the system with an outside baseball training facility.  

He gets a lot of credit for GrayRod though as many criticized the pick.  

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

You aren't going to impress me with Kremer being the only decent player they got for Machado.  Sorry, that isn't an example of his competence. 

The Machado trade wasn't the mark of poor judgment.  We got a decent return for when we traded him (2018, with less than a year of control left). 

The underlying issue was failure to recognize the timing of that team's window shutting.  2017 started off well enough, but May was punctuated by a 5-14 stretch in the last 19 games of the month (including a 7 game losing streak) and a losing June (that had a 6 game losing streak).  They then limped into the AS Break on a 3-6 July start (including another 5 game losing streak).  Went from a season best 22-10 on May 10, to 42-46 at the break.

The pitching clearly couldn't keep up, and denial is a powerful thing.  We didn't do any selling or start a minor rebuild.  Whether that was a Duquette decision or an Angelos decision... who can say?

I always look back at that period as having a silver lining though.  We had to crash and burn... to be built back to strength with our modern iteration of our team. 

I'm not so sure that the team would have decided to take the same path if they had found additional ways of treading water for several seasons longer than they actually did... so I'm loathe to criticize the failures in the last seasons of the Duquette era.  Without them, we very well might not be where we are today. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Morgan423 said:

The Machado trade wasn't the mark of poor judgment.  We got a decent return for when we traded him (2018, with less than a year of control left). 

The underlying issue was failure to recognize the timing of that team's window shutting.  2017 started off well enough, but May was punctuated by a 5-14 stretch in the last 19 games of the month (including a 7 game losing streak) and a losing June (that had a 6 game losing streak).  They then limped into the AS Break on a 3-6 July start (including another 5 game losing streak).  Went from a season best 22-10 on May 10, to 42-46 at the break.

The pitching clearly couldn't keep up, and denial is a powerful thing.  We didn't do any selling or start a minor rebuild.  Whether that was a Duquette decision or an Angelos decision... who can say?

I always look back at that period as having a silver lining though.  We had to crash and burn... to be built back to strength with our modern iteration of our team. 

I'm not so sure that the team would have decided to take the same path if they had found additional ways of treading water for several seasons longer than they actually did... so I'm loathe to criticize the failures in the last seasons of the Duquette era.  Without them, we very well might not be where we are today. 

They should have moved him earlier but it was still a terrible return.  They missed badly on the top prospect in the trade.  He barely even made the majors.  He also got basically nothing for Gausman.   Nearly every trade he made was horrible except the Andrew Miller trade which was giving up something to get something.  Bringing in Rajsich and Buck were his only good hires.  Rick Peterson who he hired to direct pitching in the minors was awful.