Grayson Rodriguez 2024

Spy Fox

1 hour ago, vab said:

Fastballs looked ok. Trout got one but it's Trout. It was the breaking balls that were getting obliterated, just kept hanging them right down the middle. Hopefully just a bad one. 

The FB Trout hit was 98 mph but middle-middle. He missed his spot by about a foot. You cannot do that and expect to win at the MLB level.  

Grayson is young and shows it at times. I think he's uber talented but still rather inexperienced. He's learning how to be a SP at the Big League level. He took his lumps last night. Let's hope it was a learning experience. Not a Jedi yet. Still a very talented padawan. 

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

How often does he have great command?

Prior to last night:

16 straight starts of giving up 3 ER or less.

He gave up 2 runs or less in 14 of those 16 starts.

10 of those starts he went 6 or more IP. His K rate is just over 9, the BB is about 2.5 and he has given up just 6 homers in about 96 IP.  

So I would say pretty often.

I get they had to get him out of the Monday-Sunday slot Suarez now has so as not to miss the Yankees series, but I do kind of wish they pushed him up to Sunday in Kansas City.

Much of his career has been Sigbot regulated how much an Arm as strong as his is allowed to throw, and so far the broad health results are favorable.

Flimsy command is I believe helped more pitching more, or at least those were the kind of things I remember people like Scott McGregor saying about why they preferred the 4-man rotation when that practice was dying out and I was a young child.

This fork in the calendar path does slot him to Yankees Game 1, and leaves the door cracked for Bradish in Game 4 next Thursday afternoon.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Prior to last night:

16 straight starts of giving up 3 ER or less.

He gave up 2 runs or less in 14 of those 16 starts.

10 of those starts he went 6 or more IP. His K rate is just over 9, the BB is about 2.5 and he has given up just 6 homers in about 96 IP.  

So I would say pretty often.

None of this equals having great command.

He gave up 2 runs over 6 innings in his prior start vs Minnesota. Fits the qualifiers mentioned in your post - he did not have great command. 

5 turns along Grayson sits 5th in 4-seam fastball velo among SP, lagging...

Hunter Greene, 2019 TJ

Jared Jones, a survivor like him, so far doing exciting things

Jordan HIcks, 2019 TJ

Dylan Cease, 2014 TJ

Grayson got to 3000 game pitches in 2023; Jared Jones' 2022-2023 looks like 2050 and 2067 pitches according to Fangraphs.

• Upvote 1

Grayson command (at least to me) is unusually poor for an elite starter.  He often gets away with it because his stuff is so darn nasty.  Even last night, Grayson got 14 swing and misses.

all that being said, I do wonder if Grayson was tipping his pitches again (it was speculated in 1H23).  Because the Angels got such high EVs on a variety of different pitch types, and not just sitting on one specific pitch. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

None of this equals having great command.

He gave up 2 runs over 6 innings in his prior start vs Minnesota. Fits the qualifiers mentioned in your post - he did not have great command. 

Well good thing I didn’t say he had great command every time.

That said, he’s not going to have that level of success (and I don’t just means runs allowed) without having good to great command most of the time.

56 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I get they had to get him out of the Monday-Sunday slot Suarez now has so as not to miss the Yankees series, but I do kind of wish they pushed him up to Sunday in Kansas City.

Much of his career has been Sigbot regulated how much an Arm as strong as his is allowed to throw, and so far the broad health results are favorable.

Flimsy command is I believe helped more pitching more, or at least those were the kind of things I remember people like Scott McGregor saying about why they preferred the 4-man rotation when that practice was dying out and I was a young child.

This fork in the calendar path does slot him to Yankees Game 1, and leaves the door cracked for Bradish in Game 4 next Thursday afternoon.

Not sure they bring up Bradish after three rehab starts. He has so far only thrown 6 1/3 innings. Maybe if he goes five innings in his next rehab start but probably want to stretch him out a little. 

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well good thing I didn’t say he had great command every time.

You gave a series of stats that you claim indicates he usually has great command. That would imply that achieving those stats requires great command.

I agree, he has the ability to be effective (which your stats illustrate) without having great command.

Edited by DirtyBird

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

You gave a series of stats that you claim indicates he usually has great command. That would imply that achieving those stats requires great command.

I agree, he has the ability to be effective (which your stats illustrate) without having great command.

No, there are times where his stuff is so good that he can get by without excellent command.

But to be that good for that long, he’s going to have to come out and have good to excellent command on a pretty consistent basis.