Orioles attendance 2024

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I tend to disagree with is perspective being as relevant now. Traditionally attendance was influenced/dependent upon the opponent draw. Our fans wanting to see “the better teams” and the bigger fan bases visiting the Yard.

However, I believe that times have changed. Because we have so many homegrown stars and such an excellent team, the O’s are much more of a draw themselves since the days of Cal Ripken.

The Oakland series will be well attended. Early this week I purchased tix to next Sunday’s game and there were very few sections that had 4 tix available. And this is for the lowly Athletics.

Maybe, but the other aspect I was considering is how fans travel. Baltimore won't get fans traveling from Los Angeles, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Minneapolis or Oakland.

But they will from the likes of Philly, New York, Boston, Toronto, etc, especially as the O's continue to win and the weather gets nicer.

But if the O's can draw 25,000+ locally for an April weekend series against the A's, then I would expect some huge attendance numbers the rest of the season.

26 minutes ago, dzorange said:

Maybe, but the other aspect I was considering is how fans travel. Baltimore won't get fans traveling from Los Angeles, Kansas City, Milwaukee, Minneapolis or Oakland.

But they will from the likes of Philly, New York, Boston, Toronto, etc, especially as the O's continue to win and the weather gets nicer.

But if the O's can draw 25,000+ locally for an April weekend series against the A's, then I would expect some huge attendance numbers the rest of the season.

The engagement from the fans in market is what matters most. That will drive the ad dollars, corporate suits, merch sales etc.

It’s not to get traveling fans or fans from visiting teams. But what will make the difference is if the local fans catch fire and the Orioles become more relevant within this market. That will allow us to draw regardless of opponent/date.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

It’s a little hard to tell how 9k new flex memberships translates into tickets.  There are $600, $1200 and $2500 packages.  I assume most are at the lower level.  That would buy you about 20 tickets, the higher levels 40 and 83 tickets, at $30 each (estimate, since you can buy any level of seats).   I’m just going to make a rough guess that it’s 300,000 tickets.  But, how many people are buying these who previously went to a bunch of games as a walk-up buyer?  How many switched from having a fixed ticket plan to a flex plan?   I’m guessing it’s a decent chunk in each of those categories.  

300k sounds about right and they would net down to those who would just buy some tickets anyway. Still see a growth for the season total and will stick by my 500k!

3 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

That'd be about a 26% increase in attendance over last year, with average per game attendance of 30k/game. That'd be outstanding and back in line with what we saw from 2013-2015. Based on the last two series, I don't think it's a stretch to see that as a possibility, but I personally wouldn't call it the low bar for expectations just yet.

That beer during last night’s game got the better of me! Will stick with a 500k increase and am curious how this plays out!

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I would contend that the only reason that the first series was down this year is because it was during Spring Break for public schools AND Easter was on that Sunday.

Also, last year it was a Yankee series for the first series so that contributed to that. I don’t think there is any question that we will have a higher attendance this year when all is said and done.

Agreed. Easter is way later next year, so that won't be an issue. It won't be an issue until 2027.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I tend to disagree with is perspective being as relevant now. Traditionally attendance was influenced/dependent upon the opponent draw. Our fans wanting to see “the better teams” and the bigger fan bases visiting the Yard.

However, I believe that times have changed. Because we have so many homegrown stars and such an excellent team, the O’s are much more of a draw themselves since the days of Cal Ripken.

The Oakland series will be well attended. Early this week I purchased tix to next Sunday’s game and there were very few sections that had 4 tix available. And this is for the lowly Athletics.

As I said before Oakland crowds for Saturday and Sunday will be good. Hyde promotion and a boatload of Little Leaguers. Many Upper Deck sections are sold out for Sunday.

Edited by Going Underground

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

No question attendance will be higher.  The question is by how much.  

Sticking with my 2.2 to 2.3mm. Most people in the flex are going to the cheapest plan and be about  10 to 15 games depending on seat location. So the 9,000 is about 1/8th of that number for the season. Just like Biirdland memberships might have increased by 6,000 or so from last year but 96 %  or so are 13 game plans.Still you have added say about 3,000 extra tickets per game. They will definitely have a nice increase but 2.2? 2.3? A little higher,we shall see. Hard to figure out if the flex and season holders would have come to 7 or 8 games anyhow. Have to average about 32,233 for the rest of the home games to get to around 2.5mm Possibly but most likely not.

• 2 weeks later...

22,965 for the Friday night game with Oakland.  That’s a bit lower than the third Friday night of last year, which came a little later in the Spring (May 12) against Pittsburgh (and drew 25,682).   I’d imagine that Pittsburgh generally is a bigger draw in Baltimore than Oakland is, since it’s a pretty easy drive for Pirate fans who want to visit Camden Yards.  

I’m guessing tonight’s bobblehead game will draw well.   The rest of the comparable Pirate series was 22 k and 36 k (on Mothers’ Day).   

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

22,965 for the Friday night game with Oakland.  That’s a bit lower than the third Friday night of last year, which came a little later in the Spring (May 12) against Pittsburgh (and drew 25,682).   I’d imagine that Pittsburgh generally is a bigger draw in Baltimore than Oakland is, since it’s a pretty easy drive for Pirate fans who want to visit Camden Yards.  

I’m guessing tonight’s bobblehead game will draw well.   The rest of the comparable Pirate series was 22 k and 36 k (on Mothers’ Day).   

I was there Friday.  We got to the gates at 5:15 and the stanchions weren’t even filled yet, and BP was sparsely attended.  However, by the third inning, it filled in quite a bit.  

It seems that many people aren’t aware that they are opening the gates 1.5 hours before game time on Friday instead of 1 hour early like it is Monday-Thursday.  

There were also, unsurprisingly, few Oakland fans- though I did see one who had a “Sell The Team” banner that they put out a couple times along the LF foul line in the first row.  The weather also got really cold when the sun went down and the wind picked up.  

Probably will have more for the night-time Yankees games though, which isn’t necessarily a surprise.  I’ll be there Monday.  It’s fun being back to the 29 game package after doing the 13 for a few seasons. 

1 hour ago, justD said:

Announced attendance of 40,887 for today’s Little League game

Glad they all got to see the Os cock it up to a team built to lose.  Yikes what a frustrating game.  There’ll be a lot of butts in seats this upcoming week too… unfortunately too many of them will be skanks “fans” from the Maryland suburbs.

3 minutes ago, Emory Eagle said:

Glad they all got to see the Os cock it up to a team built to lose.  Yikes what a frustrating game.  There’ll be a lot of butts in seats this upcoming week too… unfortunately too many of them will be skanks “fans” from the Maryland suburbs.

Yeah, a big chance to instill Os fandom wasted. As usual.

I have a feeling the Os-to-Yankees fan ratio will be a lot better than in the past, but we’ll give their fans far too much to cheer about. It’s such a miserable experience for an Os fan to endure.

Hope I’m wrong. 

On 4/18/2024 at 5:41 PM, DenPA2002 said:

I don’t know how much you can judge based on flex. I bought the cheapest flex and spent it all on 1 future game (6 and tickets) but I plan to attend quite a few games getting my tickets elsewhere.

Add to your flex, and make sure it adds to playoff tickets per series