John Means 2024

Tony-OH

Just now, accinfo said:

Hyde just said Means had elbow discomfort.  That doesn’t sound good.  If it is severe it may be the last time we ever see  John Means as an Oriole.  I hope not.   

Yeah. Hard not to think along those lines. So much for a 6 man rotation. 

1 hour ago, Natty said:

I had hoped for the best. 

But who didn't see this coming?

I am still hoping for the best.

That’s pretty quick for a TJ surgery to fail, if it has.  

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s pretty quick for a TJ surgery to fail, if it has.  

It would be unusual, but it almost seems like Means' surgery has never "stuck."

He's been able to make a few starts and then experience elbow pain and require rest and rehab.

Let's all hope for the best.  But this is certainly ominous news.

28 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Best case scenario sounds like the IL.   Worst case is he’s done for the season.   It’s hard to imagine a 3rd scenario.

Well, the only third scenario is he takes his next turn in the rotation, so easy to imagine, but harder to imagine coming true.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Well, the only third scenario is he takes his next turn in the rotation, so easy to imagine, but harder to imagine coming true.

Eh, you didn’t know that’s what I meant?

I wouldn't think too much about it.  I have the same issue as Means PLUS a bone chip the size of a quarter in my elbow where the injury is.   It comes and goes as far as pain.  First suffered the injury 2 years ago.  Never had surgery. 

For example the other day I was pounding a nail with a hammer and my elbow had a shot of massive pain.  Lasted about 2 weeks.   In the meantime I played tennis 4 days and bowled 30 games and averaged 225.

At some point you just get used to the pain. 

All I can think of to be optimistic is that he didn't come out in the middle of an inning. So nothing popped or anything like that, and whatever it was he tried to pitch through it. Knock on wood, could be stiffness or inflammation.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I hope we stick with five SP and deeper bullpen. The pen could use Suarez or Irvin.
    • At the end of the day, it's Boras' job to get his players as much money as possible. That has worked out in some cases, and not with others.  Hopefully the "winning" environment here will encourage players like Gunnar and Adley to sign extensions. I'd love to hear that the Orioles signed Henderson to a 10-year contract because he is a franchise guy. Adley is a catcher so that scares me more, but I'd be willing to extend him until he's 31 or 32. Gunnar though is the key and I think the Orioles know this. He's one of the best players in the league, he's fast, athletic, and barring a serious injury, there is no doubt he's going to be one of the best players in the league for a long, long time.
    • Baseball is a funny game sometimes, but you're right, we are going to battle with starters that were not even projected for the opening day rotation. Yet, here we are. Obviously anytime we have a series against the Yankees it's big, but even if we lose 2 of 3, we'd only be 2.5 games back.  The loss of Coulombe is huge and that bothers me more than the starters honestly. Perez, Akin, Baker and Tate filling key roles if Cano or Kimbrel is not available does not make me feel great. Baker threw the ball in his debut back and has been throwing well in AAA for a bit, so maybe he's a little bit of lightning in a bottle that this team needs in the pen.   
    • Count me in, but the Orioles have never really subscribed to that theory of splitting time like that. They really put an emphasis on everyday players and bench players with everyday players rarely getting days off.
    • I agree with this. I just feel like he hasn't been given a fair shot in two seasons up here. I can't see any reason that he can't start 4 games out of 7. Give Hays, Mullins, Santander and Cowser each one day off a week and let him start. 
    • This is probably obvious to many but I have not seen it talked about. With Bradish going on the IL and the recall of reliever Vespi they are now in a 5 man rotation.    Burnes, GRod, Irvin, Suarez and Povich.    And an 8 man pen. It was hoped that Kremer would join the rotation but his short 3 2/3 innings in Sunday's start at Norfolk probably means he gets another start in Norfolk on Friday.    If he does well at that point he could join the O's on June 26th.    Until then the O's are likely to continue with a 5 man rotation IMO.   Even if Kremer joins the rotation in June the O's probably go back to a 5 man rotation in July because of the number of off days in July.
  • Popular Contributors