Brandon Hyde 2024

12 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

Sure, if you’re fine with not giving your team the best chance of winning then by all means let Mullins hit.

Mullins isn’t proving anything right now other than he can’t hit.

Fine, go with Hays then, that better?

Is Mullins going to feel less worse if Hays pinch hits for him instead of a rookie? (Not sure if Stowers is still a rookie but you get the point.)

Hyde is going to respect the lefty/righty matchup every time. We know this. So, it was never going to be Hays. If there were one out, maybe you would see Stowers to try to hit a fly ball. But needing a hit, I don't like Stowers's chances coming in cold any better than Mullins.

29 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So Kimbrel getting 3 outs in 7th cost them the game?

As far as Westburg they do this every game. Switch LHH and RHH. Not like 6 in front of him are bad. 

Cowser, Santander, and maybe Mountcastle are all worse hitters than Westburg at the moment, and they are all hitting in front of him.

21 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

Sure, if you’re fine with not giving your team the best chance of winning then by all means let Mullins hit.

Mullins isn’t proving anything right now other than he can’t hit.

Fine, go with Hays then, that better?

Is Mullins going to feel less worse if Hays pinch hits for him instead of a rookie? (Not sure if Stowers is still a rookie but you get the point.)

I’m not defending how Mullins is hitting. 

Hays just got back, Stowers just called up. 

Baseball is a marathon. Mullins is struggling but it’s May. Hyde and any manager for that matter is trying to get the most out of his team over the long haul.

If you had Adley or Santander sitting on the bench at the start that’s one thing. 

6 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Hyde is going to respect the lefty/righty matchup every time. We know this. So, it was never going to be Hays. If there were one out, maybe you would see Stowers to try to hit a fly ball. But needing a hit, I don't like Stowers's chances coming in cold any better than Mullins.

I never wanted Hays there.. and thus suggested Stowers. Yet apparently Stowers is not allowed to hit for Mullins so all I’m getting from everyone is Hyde has to keep Mullins there.

2 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

I never wanted Hays there.. and thus suggested Stowers. Yet apparently Stowers is not allowed to hit for Mullins so all I’m getting from everyone is Hyde has to keep Mullins there.

Your choices are Hays, Stowers, Urias, and McCann. There's not much there. The game was lost when Cowser choked and gave Toronto the opportunity to pitch around Westburg.

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’m not defending how Mullins is hitting. 

Hays just got back, Stowers just called up. 

Baseball is a marathon. Mullins is struggling but it’s May. Hyde and any manager for that matter is trying to get the most out of his team over the long haul.

If you had Adley or Santander sitting on the bench at the start that’s one thing. 

It’s all good Eddie, I understand your point and others as well. I worked in college sports for 9 years so I fully understand how a manager wouldn’t want to disrespect or hurt a veteran etc and in this case Mullins has been a well respected and productive/important O’ for a long time.

From my personal perspective, I think Hyde needs to give the team the best chance to tie the game which is not Mullins but I get it but don’t agree. 

Managers have to make tough calls, it’s not always about managing “X’s and O’s” but managing the 25 on the roster and if Hyde feels it’s more important to “stand by” Mullins there vs potentially hurting his mental even more by going with Stowers then I’ll just have to disagree with Hyde even if I believe he’s a good manager overall.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

It’s all good Eddie, I understand your point and others as well. I worked in college sports for 9 years so I fully understand how a manager wouldn’t want to disrespect or hurt a veteran etc and in this case Mullins has been a well respected and productive/important O’ for a long time.

From my personal perspective, I think Hyde needs to give the team the best chance to tie the game which is not Mullins but I get it but don’t agree. 

Managers have to make tough calls, it’s not always about managing “X’s and O’s” but managing the 25 on the roster and if Hyde feels it’s more important to “stand by” Mullins there vs potentially hurting his mental even more by going with Stowers then I’ll just have to disagree with Hyde even if I believe he’s a good manager overall.

Mullins hit the ball 100mph.  If it’s 10’ to the left or right the game is tied.  

Edited by emmett16

17 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

Fair enough!

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I'd like to see Westburg lead off vs. LHers, Gunnar vs. RHers.

Gunnar is OPSing .113 points higher v. LHP than RHP this year.  He’s one of the best hitters in the game, a potential MVP and will be rightfully batting lead-off everyday he plays this year.  

Now that I’ve seen that Burnes said he was tired, I won’t question Hyde’s decision to pull him.  Still, I wouldn’t have gone to Kimbrel and Cano (even though Kimbrel worked out) for the 4th time in 6 days.

A little pressure on Bradish tonight to stand strong, as I'm not sure if Suarez is refreshed from the long Sunday yet.

If he has a wobble against a dangerous lineup, pitcher churn could be necessary before tomorrow.

Is Irvin refreshed enough from Friday to be an emergency long man tonight, in what would basically be the Bradish-Wells scenario that played out in Texas early last season.     That was an immediate onset from a beeline - but here the club has had since the end of last night's game when a bunch of guys were used to figure out options for tonight.

Tonight perhaps higher than usual Raysian risk for Michael Baumann to throw 50 pitches and be DFA'd after the game, if the demands of competition throw the roster into that scenario.     The Orioles have let leak their interest in top relievers, so the fringe roster guys know July 31 may be it unless the injury gods give them favorable circumstances.

Another attack angle is just recycling Kremer's roster spot today if the IL blister thing is going to happen.