Brandon Hyde 2024

All this back and fourth and no mention of what actually caused us to have to use Kimbrel and that was on Perez.  If he does his job and gets through the 7th you have Cano available for 8th then Dominguez for the 9th.  He had to use a bullpen early because of Kremer injury.  He went with Akin who threw 20 pitches and wasn’t sharp which is why he didn’t come back next inning.  Smith pitched well as did Soto but they are still trying to build up confidence with them and if they give you a good outing you take it and move to next guy.  Perez came in and was wild which gets him in trouble and caused Hyde to have to use Cano in pressure spot before he wanted to.  Then the option is Cano in 8th but he has about 10-12 pitches left.(they don’t like throwing the back end guys more then 20 pitches unless they have to in the organization). You can hate that all you want but that isn’t changing so just have to accept it.   So you have to decide do you want Cano to go 2 batters then go to Kimbrel with possibly a guy on or give him a clean inning.  Hyde and the coaching staff decided Kimbrel with a clean inning was a better option than the possibility of him having to come in with 1 out and man on base.  

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, forphase1 said:

Two quick things.  As to the bolded 'they are trying to get him back on track', I get it, but we aren't in a position where we can gamble wins and loses in an attempt to make Kimbrel right himself. 

Actually, we actually ARE kind of in that position.  We are over 95% likely to make the playoffs.  Sure I want to win the division.  But I would gladly trade the division for having late May / June Kimbrel on the October roster.

Whether it's possible to "fix" Kimbrel to that level is of course debatable.  But if it is possible, I would argue it would be worth risking a couple September wins to do it.

• Upvote 1

This team is snake bit this year and I guess that's Hyde's fault too. Never seen anything like this. With two more players probably out for a while, yea we need all the second guessing/Monday morning quarterbacking we can get because it's tonic for the soul. Heck, Elias should have forseen this too. Fire everybody!!!!!!!!!!!

There - now I feel better. This year into next will test the metal of Hyde and Elias more than losing 100 plus games did not too long ago. And, if somehow, we have a good playoff run, instead of firing - they should be nominated for Oriole Sainthood.

10 hours ago, LGOrioles said:

Kimbrel isn’t Hyde‘s problem either, that’s Elias. But Hyde using too many relievers forced him to use Kimbrel there. That usage is on him. It really just makes no sense to use his two best relievers (besides Dominguez) a combined 1.1 IP, when one of them can easily go 2 IP by himself. Idiotic is probably too far, but I struggle to see how his usage makes any sense. 

This is where I am. You can't go through your relievers like a popular hooker goes through Johns. When you do, you end up having to Kimbrel is a situation that he's not fit for any longer. 

He needs to have a bridge reliever that gives him at least two inning and preferably several of them. Look at these pitch totals:

image.thumb.png.4efcd60cb7101294ad61857a5c8c30a7.png

Now obviously losing Kremer that early to the injury hurt, and I know Aken wasn't particularly sharp, but why not let Smith or Soto and especially Cano come back out? Cano threw 8 pitches. Yes, I know if you bring him out for another inning he's burnt for today, but maybe you worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Hyde found a way to burn through his best relievers and still ended up with Kimbrel pitching the 8th in a tie game. Now today, he's going to have a short bullpen and he still lost.

If Burch Smith or Soto can't pitch more than 14 or 10 pitches, then its a short bullpen anyways. Somebody has to be that guy, but it appears Hyde/Orioles do not want to have a bridge guy but rather keep running these guys out here for short appearances. 

To me, this is why the bullpen ends up struggling. That and of course a lack of talent, which falls on Elias.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bpilktree67 said:

All this back and fourth and no mention of what actually caused us to have to use Kimbrel and that was on Perez.  If he does his job and gets through the 7th you have Cano available for 8th then Dominguez for the 9th.  He had to use a bullpen early because of Kremer injury.  He went with Akin who threw 20 pitches and wasn’t sharp which is why he didn’t come back next inning.  Smith pitched well as did Soto but they are still trying to build up confidence with them and if they give you a good outing you take it and move to next guy.  Perez came in and was wild which gets him in trouble and caused Hyde to have to use Cano in pressure spot before he wanted to.  Then the option is Cano in 8th but he has about 10-12 pitches left.(they don’t like throwing the back end guys more then 20 pitches unless they have to in the organization). You can hate that all you want but that isn’t changing so just have to accept it.   So you have to decide do you want Cano to go 2 batters then go to Kimbrel with possibly a guy on or give him a clean inning.  Hyde and the coaching staff decided Kimbrel with a clean inning was a better option than the possibility of him having to come in with 1 out and man on base.  

I agree this is how Hyde/Orioles do things. That doesn't mean we have to like it. Where I disagree with these thoughts is that Burch Smith needs to be able to go more than 14 pitches and one inning. If Smith comes back out and gets a clean inning, then the entire bullpen moves up one and It's Perez/Cano in the 8th. Then with Cano throwing 8 pitches, he gets the 9th. 

Sure, if the Orioles don't score in the top of the 9th, and Cano holds him, that still leaves Kimbrel in the 10th, but at that point it is what it is.

To me, the Orioles not wanting to use their relievers for more than one inning or for partial innings for match ups is why they end up having these meltdowns. Expecting 5 or 6 relievers to be on their game every night is not sustainable. 

But that's exactly what Hyde/Orioles do. I'm just not a fan on how they manage the bullpen. Sure, there is not a lot of talent our there (Elias' fault) and they literally don't have one high leverage reliever that you totally trust against both righties and lefties, but at some point you can't keep running these guys out there that much. 

Now Maybe Eflin will be exactly what this team needs today and the Orioles bats will wake up and we won't need a ton of relievers. If he struggles or has to come out early, this bullpen is a in a lot of trouble.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Actually, we actually ARE kind of in that position.  We are over 95% likely to make the playoffs.  Sure I want to win the division.  But I would gladly trade the division for having late May / June Kimbrel on the October roster.

Whether it's possible to "fix" Kimbrel to that level is of course debatable.  But if it is possible, I would argue it would be worth risking a couple September wins to do it.

Except 95% isn't 100%.  That's a 5% chance of missing the playoffs,  and I don't want to risk that in order for a washed up Kimbrel to get the chance to find himself.   The way we are playing right now a collapse isn't out of the question. 

38 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree this is how Hyde/Orioles do things. That doesn't mean we have to like it. Where I disagree with these thoughts is that Burch Smith needs to be able to go more than 14 pitches and one inning. If Smith comes back out and gets a clean inning, then the entire bullpen moves up one and It's Perez/Cano in the 8th. Then with Cano throwing 8 pitches, he gets the 9th. 

Sure, if the Orioles don't score in the top of the 9th, and Cano holds him, that still leaves Kimbrel in the 10th, but at that point it is what it is.

To me, the Orioles not wanting to use their relievers for more than one inning or for partial innings for match ups is why they end up having these meltdowns. Expecting 5 or 6 relievers to be on their game every night is not sustainable. 

But that's exactly what Hyde/Orioles do. I'm just not a fan on how they manage the bullpen. Sure, there is not a lot of talent our there (Elias' fault) and they literally don't have one high leverage reliever that you totally trust against both righties and lefties, but at some point you can't keep running these guys out there that much. 

Now Maybe Eflin will be exactly what this team needs today and the Orioles bats will wake up and we won't need a ton of relievers. If he struggles or has to come out early, this bullpen is a in a lot of trouble.

There is one problem: LHB have a 900 OPS vs Smith. If he could get lefties out this would work, but he can't. If he gives up a couple base runners and a bomb there, we lose the game and everyone says Hyde is an idiot. Not only that, but we fail to preserve the bullpen. Same thing if we leave in Soto. This bullpen is built to maximize the platoon efficiencies of (arguably) undervalued guys. For the system to work you have to stick with the plan and put guys in positions where they aren't likely to fail. 

I don't think Kimbrel is a good option either, just saying Hyde has valid reasons in a situation where there are no good options and a lot of risk either way.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Except 95% isn't 100%.  That's a 5% chance of missing the playoffs,  and I don't want to risk that in order for a washed up Kimbrel to get the chance to find himself.   The way we are playing right now a collapse isn't out of the question. 

Well, we are 99.3% today per Fangraphs. If we play so bad that we don't make the playoffs, we weren't going to do anything in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

We have 2 months of diminished velocity, hard hit balls, poor control to go off of. He’s done. He was pumping 94-96 earlier in the season. He was struggling to hit 92 yesterday.

Father Time comes for us all.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

There is one problem: LHB have a 900 OPS vs Smith. If he could get lefties out this would work, but he can't. If he gives up a couple base runners and a bomb there, we lose the game and everyone says Hyde is an idiot. Not only that, but we fail to preserve the bullpen. Same thing if we leave in Soto. This bullpen is built to maximize the platoon efficiencies of (arguably) undervalued guys. For the system to work you have to stick with the plan and put guys in positions where they aren't likely to fail. 

I don't think Kimbrel is a good option either, just saying Hyde has valid reasons in a situation where there are no good options and a lot of risk either way.

It’s simple to me. Rosters expand today. You had a short outing from Kremer. Yes, Akin sucks with runners on. But he can also go multiple innings, and you needed multiple innings. And he doesn’t have a platoon advantage. Let him go as long as you can. Then you can play matchups. And for the love of God, if it’s a close game don’t put in Kimbrel unless it’s a last resort. And no, Cano throwing 8 pitches isn’t a last resort.

It seems to me that management prefers shorter outing so that pitchers are available on back to back days. So basically everyone that pitched yesterday could in theory pitch today. I don’t know if that’s a great reason or not, but to me that’s the reason. We will have Cano today if we need him, for example.