Cal Ripken Commercial, not teasing Gunnar extension...wow

LookinUp

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

Before anyone gets crazy calling Cal a cheap owner of a minor league team you got to remember he had to pay for a divorce and has to finance a new woman to levels she thinks she is worth.  None of this is cheap.  

Now I can admit to some occasional annoyances with Ripken but can anyone explain the Cal hate?  I know he likely hurt the Orioles over the years pursuing a meaningless record when he could of sat down and healed up.  Especially the start of 1992 when he was clearly not right and put on a massively suck filled show.  I know you can make the argument his personal stats and the Orioles stats would of been better if the dude just took a break.  

But what has Ripken been doing in the last twenty years to get hate?  I must of missed it.

You are justifying not spending to support his minor league teams because he needed the money for his new wife?

I don't find that a compelling argument.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You are justifying not spending to support his minor league teams because he needed the money for his new wife?

I don't find that a compelling argument.

We don't know Cal's current finances.  He might still be paying off Kevin Costner.  I mean who knows?  You are mad at him because a couple prospects have said the stadium is dark?  What else is wrong with his minor league ownership?

3 minutes ago, dabirds said:

He is typing out the contract for the Gunnar extension!

Yeah!  I love Cal! I know why he was part of the ownership team.  Ha ha, you bitter old losers who just thought it was just to sucker in fans who were wistful for sweeter days gone by.

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

We don't know Cal's current finances.  He might still be paying off Kevin Costner.  I mean who knows?  You are mad at him because a couple prospects have said the stadium is dark?  What else is wrong with his minor league ownership?

He’s has had a lot of disputes with the local authorities and it depends who you believe about who was responsible for various stadium upkeep issues.  Also, as @Tony-OHwill tell you, their video feed for MiLB TV is one of the worst in the minors.  

Not that I care.  Cal’s part of the ownership group so that Rubenstein can use him to promote the team.  Fine with me.   

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Oroles could post a video of penguins in Antarctica and somebody would contort themselves into thinking it was foreshadowing a Gunnar extension.  

Penguins in Antarctica -> birds in their natural habitat -> keeping birds at home -> Gunnar extension!! 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He’s has had a lot of disputes with the local authorities and it depends who you believe about who was responsible for various stadium upkeep issues.  Also, as @Tony-OHwill tell you, their video feed for MiLB TV is one of the worst in the minors.  

Not that I care.  Cal’s part of the ownership group so that Rubenstein can use him to promote the team.  Fine with me.   

Should have made Rick Dempsey a part owner.  Heck all the Orioles on former great teams.  0.1% owners or whatever. 

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Should have made Rick Dempsey a part owner.  Heck all the Orioles on former great teams.  0.1% owners or whatever. 

0.1% of the sale cost is still $1,725,000.    I doubt Demper has that kind of money lying around the house.

Just now, SteveA said:

0.1% of the sale cost is still $1,725,000.    I doubt Demper has that kind of money lying around the house.

He made over 3M in his career, he's been working since he retired and the MLB pension is around 265K a year for those fully vested.

Depending on how well his restaurant did he might have it.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He made over 3M in his career, he's been working since he retired and the MLB pension is around 265K a year for those fully vested.

Depending on how well his restaurant did he might have it.

I've seen him at the poker room at the Horseshoe, but I've never played at the same table with him so I can't judge how good he is in that department, and what effect it might have on his life savings.