John Means Decision Day

Means began his 30 day rehab assignment on 4/31. So it’s looking like today is the day that something has to give.

Does he accept an assignment to the minors and let us option him?  Does he force Eias’ hand and we have to DFA one of Baumann/Ramirez today with an already short bullpen?  Does he force his hand and we DFA Means?  Keep in mind that Means is a FA at the end of the year and probably wants to be starting in the MLB somewhere.

We’re also adding Bradish tomorrow to start the game. So we could be DFA’ing Ramirez and Baumann over the next two days or optioning Akin simply because Akin has an option. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Do you actually think DFA’ing Means is a realistic option

I just listed all the options. Maybe some posters didn’t realize that was an option. Even if it’s a very small chance of happening. 

Perosnally, I think we might try to wait till after the game tonight if possible and DFA one of Baumman/Ramirez. It really doesn’t matter though, because the other one of Baumman/Ramirez gets DFA’d tomorrow unless we decide to option Akin if he were to pitch tonight. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

I would be surprised if the answer is anything but activating Means. The bigger question is who goes, and besides DFA Ramirez I am not sure. I agree the logical choice for me at least is DFA Baumann, but I just don’t think they are ready to pull the plug on that yet, so optioning Akin could happen, although it certainly makes us weaker. I guess they could move Irvin into his bullpen slot for the time being.

• Upvote 1

I thought I had seen a Hyde comment that Means and Bradish will both come back and start. I assume DFA Ramirez and Irvin or Suarez to the pen for Means if he is ready first. Then I would guess option Akin. They could DFA Baumann but Elias hates to lose any talent under his control.

• Upvote 1

Maybe Means should help a shaky bull pen rather than upset a reliable starting rotation (especially assuming Bradish pushes out Suarez).

Are shorter and more frequent stints better or harder on Means’ arm?

• Upvote 1

What options? Means is added and Ramirez is DFA. The question will be what to do when Bradish is added. I’d DFA Baumann, but Elias is annoyingly attached to him. 

Also, I wouldn’t mess with the rotation for Means. Put him in the bullpen. For Bradish, put Suarez in the bullpen. 

42 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

I would be surprised if the answer is anything but activating Means. The bigger question is who goes, and besides DFA Ramirez I am not sure. I agree the logical choice for me at least is DFA Baumann, but I just don’t think they are ready to pull the plug on that yet, so optioning Akin could happen, although it certainly makes us weaker. I guess they could move Irvin into his bullpen slot for the time being.

Who the better pitcher between Akin and Baumann? I would say Akin because you never want to be in a position to pitch Baumann in a high leverage spot whatsoever.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Who the better pitcher between Akin and Baumann? I would say Akin because you never want to be in a position to pitch Baumann in a high leverage spot whatsoever.

Akin has shown himself to be a guy who can be very good for months at a time but may not be able to hold it all year.  Baumann is a complete box of chocolates from one outing to the next.  I’d choose Akin. 

• Upvote 2

Baumann needs to be moved back to a multi-inning 4th/5th inning or mop-up guy.  He just walks too many people to be considered in high-leverage spots.  I honestly wouldn't be too upset if ends up odd man out for when pitchers start coming back.