Jacob Webb 2024

Spy Fox

I am promoting Webb to thread status. 

Two dominant outings against the Yankees this week. 2.2 IP, no baserunners, 6 K's. And in only 28 pitches across the two games.

His ERA is now below 2. I'm not sure he's really that good, but I think he has one of the most secure spots in the pen right now. 

• Upvote 1

Hell of a series for him! 

I always thought folks were too hard on him at the end of last year. He got overused and tired out, but he saved our bullpen when we acquired him. He's got good stuff and he's been clutch so far. 

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He’s having a start to the season like Baker had last year. Webb is very underrated. “Everyday Webby”. Gotta thank the Angels for that gift. 

Ha.  I had to check.  You’re right.  Baker had a great April.  It all went downhill when he started doing that backwards walk to celebrate.

Posted (edited)

Great job by Webb in this series.   It’s not like he faced a bunch of patsies, either.  In his Friday 4-out save he got Judge/Stanton/Rizzo/Torres.  Then last night he got Judge/Rizzo/Torres/Verdugo.

Edited by Frobby

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Great job by Webb in this series.   It’s not like he faced a bunch of patsies, either.  In his Friday 4-out save he got Judge/Stanton/Rizzo/Torres.  Then last night he got Judge/Rizzo/Torres/Verdugo.

If I had bet on how Webb would have done with those matchups,  I would have lost.

• Like 1

I'd rather a thread by Roy saying that we should cut him now. The reverse jinx works both ways, so I think this thread is a biiiiiig mistake.

That said, he was so good this series. Love that for him.

On a broader point, this org does something right that's beyond the talent in the room. I assume it's advance scouting our opponents and preparation, but we're a step above. 

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't know what got into him. I wonder if he made an adjustment or someone helped "fix" something..

Edited by Roy Firestone

30 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I also loved his post game interview after the save. I was ready to DFA him after the playoffs but he's showing something. I'm back on the Webbster bandwagon 

I assume you're talking about about the 3-2 fastball that got hit for a grand slam, it was the 3 batters before that Baker walked and not even being competitive, that was the low point of the season for Me. It was Baker that put him in a Jackpot.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

I assume you're talking about about the 3-2 fastball that got hit for a grand slam, it was the 3 batters before that Baker walked and not even being competitive, that was the low point of the season for Me. It was Baker that put him in a Jackpot.

He also gave up a solo homer in the first game.  I agree, the grand slam was 95% on Baker for loading the bases without getting an out and forcing Webb in the game. I can forgive Webb for that one.