Szymborski: The Orioles Are Running Out of Lineup Spots

Frobby

Good “problem” to have.  Let’s hope Westy and Cowser keep producing but I think they’ve sorta cemented their places in the go forward squad.

Kjerstad replaces Santa permanently in 2025, so it’s really just an issue creating a spot for Mayo.

Gotta say... I certainly didn't see Mateo with an 800 OPS. Heck, I didn't think he would be 700+. Gonna be tough to take his ABs away if he stays in this range.  

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Gotta say... I certainly didn't see Mateo with an 800 OPS. Heck, I didn't think he would be 700+. Gonna be tough to take his ABs away if he stays in this range.  

He may not, but let’s enjoy the ride. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I think we know what Jorge is at this point. He can be useful to the club right now as a starter against lefties. However, once Jackson can cement himself, he's late inning defense guy/speed guy on the bases only. 

Hays, Urias and Santa likely won't be here next year.  That's three spots.  Elias could move (though I don't think he will) any of Mounty, Ced, ROH and Mateo.  

1 hour ago, Dunk35 said:

I think we know what Jorge is at this point. He can be useful to the club right now as a starter against lefties. However, once Jackson can cement himself, he's late inning defense guy/speed guy on the bases only. 

Not sure how Holliday coming bacK impacts Mateo…when Holliday comes back, he will likely continue to be sheltered or hidden from lefties, which is all Mateo does… 

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

Hays, Urias and Santa likely won't be here next year.  That's three spots.  Elias could move (though I don't think he will) any of Mounty, Ced, ROH and Mateo.  

Why in the world would he move O’Hearn or Mountcastle? They are some of the best hitters on the team.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think that once he starts struggling again they should give him a good two-three months to see if he can get hot again.

He'd basically be Jackson Holliday but a better defender, so there is that.

At end of day other than Holliday I don’t see much changing this year unless injuries. 

Except Mayo. I think he has a good chance to be a RH DH later on and in playoffs. 

I have been telling my wife for about 18 months that the Orioles had too many prospects for positions on the big club.  I didnt know what we would do about it.  She just said injuries will play a big part.  But so far we have not had much injuries and we have tons of our guys ready to play in the MLB.  

Like the article said we have rare "first world" problems.  The problem of figuring out what amazing prospect to play.  

19 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Why in the world would he move O’Hearn or Mountcastle? They are some of the best hitters on the team.

Ideally, Elias/the O's would like to create room for Mayo.  No doubt Sig/Elias has different projections they are working on as far as which players to keep and which to trade/resign.  Mayo is one of the top prospects in baseball w/ some of the best power/EVs in the game, not just the minors.  If he can't play adequate MLB 3B defense, someone needs to go between him, Mountcastle or O'Hearn at 1B/DH between the trade deadline and opening day 2025.   Alternatively, Mayo has to learn the OF, which doesn't really make sense because the bat seemse MLB ready.

• Upvote 1