FIX THE DANG BULLPEN

DocJJ

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

It’s been hot and cold.  The first 2+ weeks of May were great, then they had that stretch of being scored on 9 games in a row or whatever that was.  My feeling is if the starters can keep them a little fresh, they’ll be strong.  

1 hour ago, oriolediehard said:

The Twins DFA'd relief pitcher Diego Castillo!  He was a good bullpen guy. Is there any interest.  I think he would be a big asset to us.  What minor league guy would you trade for him?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/06/twins-designate-diego-castillo-for-assignment.html

I'd be in support of it. We'll get a good look at Baker in the next few games, and if he looks bad, I could see us lining up on a trade before the waiver period is up on Castillo. I'm sure he could be had for next to nothing. His ERA is low, but his peripherals aren't great. They are, however, much better in the minor leagues. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'd be in support of it. We'll get a good look at Baker in the next few games, and if he looks bad, I could see us lining up on a trade before the waiver period is up on Castillo. I'm sure he could be had for next to nothing. His ERA is low, but his peripherals aren't great. They are, however, much better in the minor leagues. 

I am wary of Baker, he has a 6.55 era in Norfolk, can you imagine what he will do on the O's.  He will likely implode and cost us a crucial game, I hate that.  I don't like giving up a loss just to see if is good, 6.55 era should be enough indication that he sucks bad.

Hard pass on Castillo. His slider is his bread and butter pitch but has been below average the last 2 years. From 2018-2022 its average velo went 88.9, 88.7, 86.2, 87.3, 88.4. The last 2 years it’s been at 86.5 and 86.6. Not surprisingly the whiff rate has plummeted from being 40% or higher in 4 of those years to 26% the last 2 years and has been hit much harder as well. He was successful as pretty much a one (good) pitch guy and that pitch is no longer good. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I am wary of Baker, he has a 6.55 era in Norfolk, can you imagine what he will do on the O's.  He will likely implode and cost us a crucial game, I hate that.  I don't like giving up a loss just to see if is good, 6.55 era should be enough indication that he sucks bad.

I doubt he will be put in position to cost us a crucial game.

Someone floated the idea of bringing in Diego Castillo in another thread.

2023 the concern was the velocity.  His FB dropped from 95 to 93.  But the velocity is back to 95 in 2024.

Statcast shows a big change in the vertical movement of his SL.  And his BB% is a ridiculous 23%.  I suspect he tinkererd with the SL and can't figure it out. 

MN is usually pretty good with metrics and pitch shape stuff but we have done well with their former players.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a waiver claim here.  More still needs to be done for the BP though.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

The Twins DFA'd relief pitcher Diego Castillo!  He was a good bullpen guy. Is there any interest.  I think he would be a big asset to us.  What minor league guy would you trade for him?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/06/twins-designate-diego-castillo-for-assignment.html

Is he coming back from injury last year? Hasn’t pitched much since 2022. He might have a low ERA so far but he’s walked 7 and K 3 in 7 IP. 

16 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Akin is not a good pitcher, I don’t care what his FIP is. Also a textbook example of why pitching wins don’t matter. 

Occasional success but he's a guy that has absolutely zero dog in him. Not in my playoffs.