One-third of the way through, the O’s are on a 105-win pace

Frobby

25 minutes ago, theobird said:

And we are on this pace, despite not hitting on all cylinders. I like our chances.

If you’re talking about the regular season , I agree with you and like their chances despite misfiring cylinders. When the postseason begins , they need turn hot and run all cylinders to win . 

4 hours ago, dystopia said:

I was happy to keep the actual streak going ad infinitum, but some on here would rather have the O’s lose because Kevin Brown mentioned the streak a few too many times for their liking. 

I haven't been able to watch games recently.  Are there long, awkward pauses that Brown would otherwise talk about the streak?

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

At the one third mark who is not earning their salary?

I only see two players that aren't:   Hayes and Tyler Wells.

I think everyone else is contributing enough to earn their salary either through offense or defense or pitching.

What do you think?

I would add Urias too, but looks like he's starting to heat up.  A case could be made for McCann, but how much offense can you really expect from a backup C.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would add Urias too, but looks like he's starting to heat up.  A case could be made for McCann, but how much offense can you really expect from a backup C.

Considering that they are both backups they are probably worth what they are paid.  McCann's main job is to call games, be good defensively and control  the running games when he is in there.    He is also a veteran teacher for Adley.  His offense is not a high priority.   He is making 4M this year and considering the O's are winning I think he is earning his money.

Urias sits a lot and is good defensively.  He has chipped in a little of offense.  At 2.1M I think he is earning at that level.

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

Last year at this point, the O’s were 34-20, and had outscored their opponents 265-236.  This year they’re 35-19 and have outscored opponents 272-203.  They’re on pace to outscore their opponents by 207 runs.  That’s elite.  

Now, I don’t expect the O’s to kept up this pace.  The schedule ahead is tougher than the one behind, and they have a grueling month on their doorstep.  But they’re an excellent team and I’m looking forward to the next 54 games just as much as I enjoyed these last 54.

giphy.webp?cid=9191ed4cjz7vj0ya60bfc8f3t7cv23rpnr8tx3vp59gf85xm&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.webp&ct=g

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2024 at 10:37 AM, Frobby said:

At this time last year, we were 4 games behind the Rays.   I’m not worried about the Yankees maintaining their current pace.   If we maintain ours, we will win the AL East.   

Bump.  The Yankees are now on pace to win 97 games.   The O’s have fallen off their 105 win pace as of the OP, but only a little, still on pace for 103 wins.   Just keep doing what we’re doing, and everything will fall into place.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Bump.  The Yankees are now on pace to win 97 games.   The O’s have fallen off their 105 win pace as of the OP, but only a little, still on pace for 103 wins.   Just keep doing what we’re doing, and everything will fall into place.  

Boston might be the bigger concern down the stretch. 

3 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

They could be 

They’re certainly better all around. Yankees put all their eggs in the Soto and Judge basket. Boston is an upgrade at SP and middle IF from being very concerning 

3 minutes ago, waroriole said:

They’re certainly better all around. Yankees put all their eggs in the Soto and Judge basket. Boston is an upgrade at SP and middle IF from being very concerning 

Let’s wait and see what Red Sox do at the deadline , the same goes for Yankees . After the deadline, we will see how they’re doing then 

5 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

You think Boston can catch us? You think they can win 100 games this year?

I don’t know if they can win 100, but maybe we don’t either. I mostly mean it as a commentary on the Yankees. I could see Boston overcoming them in the division. 

20 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t know if they can win 100, but maybe we don’t either. I mostly mean it as a commentary on the Yankees. I could see Boston overcoming them in the division. 

Oh, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

Yeah I could see the Yankees continuing to free fall. In those first two months, they were playing well beyond what their true talent suggests. The addition of Stroman was a good one for them and of course Soto is great. But adding just those two (especially given other declining players like Rizzo) should not improve your team by over 20 games (which is what they were on pace for).

I in no way, see the Red Sox being able to win enough games to truly challenge us for the division. There is too much of a significant gap between the two teams offensively.

The Red Sox could win 90ish games (which would be superb for them). But given that we’ve lost what 5/6 series all year? I can’t see us winning under high 90’s to low 100’s. We just don’t lose enough games for the Red Sox to ever really threaten us/catch up.

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Boston might be the bigger concern down the stretch. 

If so, it will be more because the Yankees continue to flounder than because Boston is playing at a pace that could catch us.  If we play .600 ball the rest of the way (we are at .636 right now), Boston would have to play .700 ball to catch us.  That’s not going to happen.