The 2024 Trade Deadline

I think Hays can play center field some but the problem is if you play him in center then you are gonna play either Kjerstadt Santander or O’Hearn as the two corner outfielders.  I don’t think they want to hamstring the defense that much.  They probably would be ok to play Hays in center if you had another good defensive left fielder which they don’t unless you put Cowser there but if that the case you mise well just play Cowser in center Hays in left.   I could maybe see them push a Hays in center and Kjerstad in left only in certain stadiums but not with the huge outfield at home with lots of ground to cover.  

7 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

If there is "loyalty" to a guy that you could trade to make your team better, then Elias isn't the guy you want running the ship.  I think loyalty is a good thing to a certain extent, but if you can turn Mateo+ into a useful bullpen arm, I think you have to do it.

Yeah, I do tend to agree with that.

Some Detmers quotes from Fangraphs today:

Also, Detmers doesn’t know if the team still believes in him.

The 24-year-old said he keeps in regular contact with Patrick Sandoval and Griffin Canning, his two closest friends on the Angels. He said pitching coach Barry Enright has checked in with him a couple of times and bench coach Ray Montgomery did once as well.
He hasn’t heard from Angels manager Ron Washington or GM Perry Minasian.

“Yes and no,” Detmers said when asked if he was surprised to not hear from those organizational leaders. “Would it be nice? Yeah. But I know they have a lot of stuff going on. I don’t really know.”

When asked if he felt the Angels still believed in his abilities and still had a plan for him, he paused for several seconds.

“I’d like to think so, but honestly I have no idea,” Detmers said. “I don’t know.

“I’m not too worried about it, to be honest with you. My job is to get outs. And whatever they want to do, that’s what they’re going to do.”

Minasian declined an interview request for this story.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Some Detmers quotes from Fangraphs today:

Also, Detmers doesn’t know if the team still believes in him.

The 24-year-old said he keeps in regular contact with Patrick Sandoval and Griffin Canning, his two closest friends on the Angels. He said pitching coach Barry Enright has checked in with him a couple of times and bench coach Ray Montgomery did once as well.
He hasn’t heard from Angels manager Ron Washington or GM Perry Minasian.

“Yes and no,” Detmers said when asked if he was surprised to not hear from those organizational leaders. “Would it be nice? Yeah. But I know they have a lot of stuff going on. I don’t really know.”

When asked if he felt the Angels still believed in his abilities and still had a plan for him, he paused for several seconds.

“I’d like to think so, but honestly I have no idea,” Detmers said. “I don’t know.

“I’m not too worried about it, to be honest with you. My job is to get outs. And whatever they want to do, that’s what they’re going to do.”

Minasian declined an interview request for this story.

Go get him Elias. 

6 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Bassitt may be above their limits, but I'd support the move.

I would hope with Bassitt it's an issue of not wanting to be committed to paying $22M next year and not that he's an effective pitcher in the team's eye except he's pricey.

I have to think Rubenstein would sign off on it if Elias can work out a trade for Bassitt.  

13 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Bassitt may be above their limits, but I'd support the move.

Apparently, the Jays have said any pending FA are available as they are going to be buyers and sellers this off-season. They think they have enough players with control to contend next year. It would look like Kikuchi from the rotation if they are trading someone.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I would hope with Bassitt it's an issue of not wanting to be committed to paying $22M next year and not that he's an effective pitcher in the team's eye except he's pricey.

I have to think Rubenstein would sign off on it if Elias can work out a trade for Bassitt.  

Exactly. There's really no reason to pass on a guy like this. Who knows what the spending parameters are for new ownership, though? I'd like to think this guy means it when he leads with "....it's a new chapter in Orioles baseball," and backs it up with an acquisition or two which surprises people.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

Apparently, the Jays have said any pending FA are available as they are going to be buyers and sellers this off-season. They think they have enough players with control to contend next year. It would look like Kikuchi from the rotation if they are trading someone.

And he'd be fine, but I wonder if Bassitt could be acquired no matter what the company line may be.

Edited by Il BuonO
double negative

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

And he'd be fine, but I wonder if Bassitt couldn't be acquired no matter what the company line may be.

I suspect it would have to be if they were getting a starter back for next year, I think they only have Gausman, Bassitt and Berrios for next years rotation that they can build off of.

Edited by Malike