Bring up Mayo already!!

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Mayo might be the best power hitting prospect in team history in terms of his raw power and how good is swing is in the minors.

He may not even be the best power prospect in the system right now. Basallo may be ahead of him. (Which is really crazy to think about)

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He may not even be the best power prospect in the system right now. Basallo may be ahead of him. (Which is really crazy to think about)

Agreed.  But Mayo's elite power and contact skills are a rare combination.

From a great analytics article on Mayo and Holliday in Baseball America.  I don’t want to paste too much more because we should encourage this type of work.  https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/coby-mayo-jackson-holliday-headline-10-statcast-standouts/

This is hopefully the last time that I’ll be writing about Mayo (hopefully he’ll be in the majors soon), so let’s dive even deeper and break down his analytical metrics vs both RHPs and LHPs, beginning with RHPs, as that’s his tougher matchup as a righty bat.

IMG_0269.thumb.webp.2cf306d9a34be8c4912c738e603f7c32.webp

If you want to read these charts at a glance, go to the bottom row where it says “All Pitches” and scan for gold. The darker the gold, the better, the more purple, the worse the metric is. You can then scan up and see how that looks when broken into a smaller piece, such as sliders. All numbers are relative to the MLB average, so that you can easily see if he’s above average at something, with the caveat that this is against Triple-A pitching.

Let’s go back to the analytical check boxes. When we talk about chase rates, we’re mostly concerned about chasing breaking balls (sliders, sweepers and curves) as well as offspeed pitches (changeups and splitters). The previous charts strongly suggested he was going to shine in that respect. Indeed he does, with minuscule chase rates against non-fastballs. This is a huge box to check. It demonstrates his tremendous approach at the plate, even against the harder matchup. He’s also able to avoid swing and miss against breaking balls the few times he does chase.

For Zone Contact, I usually key in on the fastballs. That’s the pitch pitchers will typically use to attack hitters in the zone. Here again, we see more gold coloring, indicating Mayo has no trouble getting to above-average bat-to-ball ability in the zone. Now what makes Mayo an outstanding hitting prospect is his rare ability to make hard contact in the air. Against righties, he shows a remarkable ability to lift nearly every pitch type (including fastballs, which have a higher baseline launch angle), and does so with authority.

I look through a lot of data, and I can’t think of another prospect that makes this much contact, with this much power, and also hits the ball in the air.

IMG_0270.thumb.webp.44e9bec54ca717af980d3ec55baa732f.webp

If you thought his metrics against righthanders were good, they’re even better when he has the matchup advantage against lefties, with perhaps a touch too much chase sliders. We see an incredible average exit velocity of 96.1 mph, which is borderline elite, and fully backed up by his elite 90th percentile ext velocities. At the risk of beating the same drum again, we see much the same story, an extremely potent analytical profile, where we have to zoom in on a subset to find something that Mayo isn’t (yet) excelling at. If he can replicate these kind of exit velocities and launch angles against major league lefties, he’ll be hitting a lot of home runs.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Right now I want him up as a RH DH and occasional play at 3B. Get him acclimated to the bigs before the playoff run starts.

Could not agree more get him up, lets see the defense at 3b and see ih he could be a big RD bat for the postseaon, you can always send back dowm

6 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Just hit his 18th HR. 1.020 OPS. Maybe it is time to trade Mountcastle and stick Mayo at 1B. 

I think people forget how much we have had guys struggle when they first came up.  Maybe you could trade Mounty in the offseason, but not in the middle of a pennant race. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, baltfan said:

I think people forget how much we have had guys struggle when they first came up.  Maybe you could trade Mounty in the offseason, but not in the middle of a pennant race. 

i dont think they should trade him, but there is alternatives at 1B if Mayo came up and didn't pan out from the get go. OHearn, Urias and Santander even, not ideal but would be a decent fail safe. Again he wont be dealt anyways so no point of going further with it.