Bring up Mayo already!!

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Good points and honestly, I wouldn't lose sleep if Urias was traded, but I do want Cowser getting everyday at bats to work on things. He's still going to be a very good player, but I want the best team on the field and right now I want to see Kjerstad get his shot and I don't want to see Cowser rotting on the bench. 

No reason Cowser can’t start 3-4 games a week.

I just don’t see him fixing his issues against minor league pitching, especially since his statcast data is so good.  He still has a lot of bad luck overall.

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I just don’t see him fixing his issues against minor league pitching, especially since his statcast data is so good.  He still has a lot of bad luck overall.

This.  My best bud is right again. Cowser isn’t going to fix anything by playing everyday at Norfolk plus his defense at all three outfield positions is valuable.  No reason Cowser can’t be a defensive replacement and get one start a week at all three outfield spots.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Do you think, offense and defense combined, Urias is the better 3B between now and the end of the year?

Holliday isn’t here.   Again, some people act afraid that Mayo may actually play decent defense, provide above average offense, and lay claim to the 3B job like it’s a problem.   

I have no idea who would be better the rest of the year. The worst player on the 23 Orioles was Cowser. The worst player on the 24 Orioles has been Holliday. Last year Aaron Hicks was starting playoff games for this team. 

This year in April Cowser looked like a ROY contender and now people want his at bats reduced. Some think he could be sent down and that’s with his glove playing well. 

I have no idea how well Mayo will hit at this level out of the gate. I don’t want to find out taking a step backwards defensively at 3rd. Urias is about a floor and a proven player. That’s it. Nobody is claiming he is the future. 

The basic point is why negatively impact your defense on a team leading the league in runs while dealing a player with a known floor? 

Edited by eddie83

Just now, eddie83 said:

I have no idea who would be better the rest of the year. The worst player on the 23 Orioles was Cowser. The worst player on the 24 Orioles has been Holliday. Last year Aaron Hicks was starting playoff games for this team. 

This year in April Cowser looked like a ROY contender and now people want his at bats reduced. Some think he could be sent down and that’s with his glove playing well. 

I have no idea how well Mayo will hit at this level out of the gate. I don’t want to find out taking a step backwards defensively at 3rd. Urias is about a floor and a proven player. That’s it. Nobody is claiming he is the future. 

I’d rather risk taking a step backward with the chance to take two forward at some point this season.   

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

So you would dump Urias rather than option someone? Cowser is not getting 3-4 games a week of starts with Kjerstad up here. Hays is still going to get PAs against left-handers and he still gets some starts against right-handers. The Orioles have never done this with a time share and I doubt they plan on doing it now. 

I just don't see Elias getting rid of a player (Urias) to keep a redundant player (What Cowser is now that Kjestad is up) especially when that redundant player has an option.

It makes no sense to bring up Kjerstad if the plan is to keep Cowser IF they bring up Mayo.

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So you would dump Urias rather than option someone? Cowser is not getting 3-4 games a week of starts with Kjerstad up here. Hays is still going to get PAs against left-handers and he still gets some starts against right-handers. The Orioles have never done this with a time share and I doubt they plan on doing it now. 

I just don't see Elias getting rid of a player (Urias) to keep a redundant player (What Cowser is now that Kjestad is up) especially when that redundant player has an option.

It makes no sense to bring up Kjerstad if the plan is to keep Cowser IF they bring up Mayo.

I think you are ignoring the defensive advantage Cowser has.  He will play more than Kjerstad imo

3 hours ago, ScGO's said:

If Mountcastle is traded, Mayo is coming

Has a team in the Orioles position (competing for playoff positioning) ever traded a contributing Major League player in mid-season for the primary purpose of opening a spot for a rookie? I can't think of any precedent for that kind of deal.

I think Mountcastle is a trade candidate in the offseason, but I can't see him being traded during the season.

Frankly, I think the odds are under 50/50 that Mayo would outperform Mountcastle for the remainder of the 2024 season, if he was given an every day role.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Urias has no real role either when Mayo is up. Mayo is the everyday 3B, no platoon needed. In situations where you need to put the best defense out, you slide Westburg to 3B and bring Mateo in at 2B. You aren't losing anything there by not having Urias.

His only role right now is vs RHP when you don't want to start Mateo. Mayo eliminates that.

Edited by DirtyBird
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Has a team in the Orioles position (competing for playoff positioning) ever traded a contributing Major League player in mid-season for the primary purpose of opening a spot for a rookie? I can't think of any precedent for that kind of deal.

I think Mountcastle is a trade candidate in the offseason, but I can't see him being traded during the season.

Frankly, I think the odds are under 50/50 that Mayo would outperform Mountcastle for the remainder of the 2024 season, if he was given an every day role.

I don't see Mountcastle being moved to open a space for Mayo during the season. For next year I wouldn't rule it out, but with Mountcastle the Orioles have an idea of his expected production. The same can't be said for Mayo yet even though the odds are Mayo will end up being the better hitter.

I can see a scenario (during this season) where Mountcastle is part of a trade package to land a pitcher from a team that needs offensive help. I wouldn't rule this out even if it's unlikely.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

19th tonight (16 at Norfolk) and AAA OPS over 1.000.   He’s earned it.   Time to reward the kid and improve the team’s upside.  Two birds.  One stone.

That HR tonight is a lazy flyball at OPACY. He needs more power training to conquer Walltimore.

Just kidding, I would bet he's up in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Malike

Just now, Malike said:

That HR tonight is a lazy flyball at OPACY. He needs more power training to conquer Walltimore.

Just kidding, I would bet he's up in the next couple of weeks.

I don’t know the dimensions of Harbor park in relation to OPACY but that was down the line so I don’t think the extended wall comes into play.  He can easily clear any wall but just like any RH hitter at OPACY he’s going to lose a few or more by playing 81 games there.

Just now, RZNJ said:

I don’t know the dimensions of Harbor park in relation to OPACY but that was down the line so I don’t think the extended wall comes into play.  He can easily clear any wall but just like any RH hitter at OPACY he’s going to lose a few or more by playing 81 games there.

Yeah, his power is nutty. I'm not worried about the LF wall when he pulls the ball.