We TRIED to give that game away but couldn’t quite do it

Frobby

24 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I took a few things away from that game. Gunnar is fighting his swing and timing. Mateo swing and swing decisions are getting worse as the season progresses. Kjerstad may struggle with velocity in upper part of the zone. Seattle offense is really bad and they are wasting a good pitching staff. Grayson and Perez pitched really well.

Definitely agree on Gunnar swing timing — kinda looked like Cowser last night where late on FB and ahead of offspeed/breaking balls.  Was the same on Sunday too.

Re: Kjerstad and high cheese. Keep in mind that Kirby has 99th percentile values for his fastball (and also per baseball savant, mostly locates it up in the zone).  It’s probably the best fastball in the game right now for SPs (edit, just looked it up, and only guy I see at 100 pitch value for FB is Crochet). 

Edited by Say O!

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s in the running for one. I can see reasons for not getting it. Think his case would be stronger with the mandatory everyone has to have a rep rule.

It was a good start to leave an impression on those selecting the team, which is announced on Sunday.

Im guessing GRod and Kimbrel will be the 2 guys most worthy of making the team that don’t make it.

Gunnar and Adley will start. Burnes is also in and could start the game.

Im guessing that’s all we get.

It's fine for GRod to get a spot on the All-Star  team. I hope he doesn't warm up or pitch.

27 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I took a few things away from that game. Gunnar is fighting his swing and timing. Mateo swing and swing decisions are getting worse as the season progresses. Kjerstad may struggle with velocity in upper part of the zone. Seattle offense is really bad and they are wasting a good pitching staff. Grayson and Perez pitched really well.

Gunnar is fighting the curse of the ESPN cleats….1 for 8 with 7 Ks since putting them on.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Great to get a 2-0 win facing George Kirby, but man they made it way harder than it had to be.

• Grayson gets staked to a 1-0 lead in the top of the 4th, then walks 2 of the first 3 batters he faces in the bottom of the inning.  Fortunately, erased on a DP.
  • The O’s score an insurance run in the 7th, but then can’t capitalize on a bases loaded, one out situation with Gunnar and Adley up.  
  • In the bottom half, Grayson allows a single and puts the tying run on via a walk, then makes a poor throw on an easy DP comebacker that could have loaded the bases but Gunnar somehow got a barehand grip on the ball with his foot on the bag.  
  • In the 8th, O’Hearn leads off with a double but the O’s failed to advance him.
  • In the 9th, Kimbrel hits a guy, almost allows a game-tying homer that goes just foul, then hits another guy, and the baserunners both get into scoring position but Kimbrel is able to end it on a strikeout.   

I’m thrilled they won, but man they made it gut-wrenching.   

Some of this has to do with good pitching by Seattle.

Very good play by Gunnar to get the forceout by around 3 eyelashes. Unlike the umpire, the announcers and me, he didn't give up on the play when he fumbled the bad throw. 

Having slept on it, all I was meaning to say was that win got very stressful.   Grayson had an excellent night despite the free passes.   Cano and Perez both did a great job.  When the O’s missed a couple of opportunities to expand their lead, I just had this sense of foreboding and the walks, the botched DP and the two HBP and the loud foul just fed into it.  In the end, Kimbrel got it done.  

1 hour ago, Say O! said:

Agree with original post but I was very encouraged that last night was best that Graysons stuff looked all season.  19 swings & miss for 41% whiff rate.  He’s still not quite there with the command (and too many walks) just imagine if that ever clicks. Changeup and breaking balls were sharpest of the season.  

From the bullpen, both Yenni and Cio were outstanding and stuff was straight nasty. 

It helps that Seattle strikes out more than any team in baseball, they are just short of 900 K's on the season. 

7 hours ago, AlbNYfan said:

If you want style points, watch figure skating. A bloop hit looks the same as a line drive hit in the box score. A win is a win.

This is true, but it should be noted that when you are reading the box score the answers are clear and obvious like the outcome. Many times last night as the game was unfolding the Orioles left doubt as to how that final box score would look.  Very stressful indeed. 

Nevertheless…it says this morning. 2-0 and a very nice win. Lol

6 minutes ago, OldNewGuy said:

Mariners offense is anemic. Not one starter last night had an OPS above .750. O's should win one more to take the series and a sweep is a real possibility. Seattle is in a weak division and Astros could overtake them to win the division.

I feel like their offense has been anemic more well over a decade. Maybe two.