Who will hit .290+ this season?

GotNitro

Who will hit .290+ this season (in Baltimore)  

566 members have voted

1. 1. Who will hit .290+ this season (in Baltimore)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So when you say he is a very good but not great hitter, do you mean he is not the absolute best player in baseball?

Last year, Nick was 10th in the league in BA, third in OBP, seventh in OPS, second in walks, and I can continue on.

How can anybody in his right mind not think that Nick Markakis is among the very best hitters in baseball? His power is emerging and he has yet to hit his prime. He hit the second most doubles in the AL last year, and doubles are a strong indicator on how well a hitter will do with extended power the following year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/m/markani01.shtml

Oldfan, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

"Okay, a simple "wrong" would've done just fine"

In the three spot he is not a 300 hitter. He probably is going to be close to that in the two spot though.

In the two spot last year he bat .345 so, by your "logic", he should be set up to contend for the AL batting title?

But he isn't a .300 hitter and not that good so I guess that won't happen?

Do you een understand how this stuff works?

Huff drives in more runs because he bats lower in the order, and Nick is usually on base when he gets those hits, therefore he drives in more runs.

And considering that Huff had his best season, well one of his best seasons ever last year to expect him to do that again is a bit foolish.

So when you say he is a very good but not great hitter, do you mean he is not the absolute best player in baseball?

Last year, Nick was 10th in the league in BA, third in OBP, seventh in OPS, second in walks, and I can continue on.

How can anybody in his right mind not think that Nick Markakis is among the very best hitters in baseball? His power is emerging and he has yet to hit his prime.

Oldfan, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

To me a "great hitter" has to win at least more than one Batting Titles or consistently be in the top ten (usually near the top) on a yearly basis. A guy like Tony Gwynn comes to mind, or Rod Carew, or George Brett. Or going further back, Ted Williams. Markakis is not close to this type of hitter. If he does those things than I would consider him a great hitter. As of now, he is just very good period. Again, he's not even the best on a very bad Orioles team right now.

In the three spot he is not a 300 hitter. He probably is going to be close to that in the two spot though. Some of you apparently don't know enough about the spots in the lineup to realize that the two hitter gets better pitches to hit than the three hitter, because they don't want to put him on base for the big boys that usually follow on most teams. It is basic Major League Baseball 101.

Do you really believe this? You don't think pitchers try to get all hitters out? That they choose to give the number 2 hitters better pitches to hit? Why would they want runners on base for the three hitter? Are they like you and don't realize that getting on base is the key to scoring runs?

To me a "great hitter" has to win at least more than one Batting Titles or consistently be in the top ten (usually near the top) on a yearly basis. A guy like Tony Gwynn comes to mind, or Rod Carew, or George Brett. Or going further back, Ted Williams. Markakis is not close to this type of hitter. If he does those things than I would consider him a great hitter. As of now, he is just very good period. Again, he's not even the best on a very bad Orioles team right now.

Ok, so Nick isn't as good a hitter as 4 of the greatest of all time...at least not yet.

Ok, I am ok with that.

:rolleyes:

In the two spot last year he bat .345 so, by your "logic", he should be set up to contend for the AL batting title?

But he isn't a .300 hitter and not that good so I guess that won't happen?

Do you een understand how this stuff works?

Huff drives in more runs because he bats lower in the order, and Nick is usually on base when he gets those hits, therefore he drives in more runs.

And considering that Huff had his best season, well one of his best seasons ever last year to expect him to do that again is a bit foolish.

I could ask the same question of you? Melvin Mora was better than Markis at hitting with RISP for a good part of the season and hence Trembley replaced Markais at the three spot in the order with Melvin. Furthermore, Huff does hit better batting in the heart of the lineup (three or four) than Markakis. He clearly out performed him in that spot.

So Eddie Murray wasn't a great hitter?

I agree with you. Nick is not one of the five or ten best hitters in the history of baseball. All those posters who claim that he is, are delusional. I haven't seen anybody claim that, but if you have then I agree with you.

Do you really believe this? You don't think pitchers try to get all hitters out? That they choose to give the number 2 hitters better pitches to hit? Why would they want runners on base for the three hitter? Are they like you and don't realize that getting on base is the key to scoring runs?

They don't want runners on base, hence they don't want to WALK the two hitter as he usually isn't as much of a hitting threat as the THREE hitter.So they give him better pitches to hit. GET IT>?

He's been in the top 18 in BA for two of his three years in the majors!

Are you seriously that clueless?!

He is consistently excellent! And he is getting BETTER!

The lack or reasoning and logic to your arguments astounds me.

He's been in the top 18 in BA for two of his three years in the majors!

Are you seriously that clueless?!

He is consistently excellent! And he is getting BETTER!

The lack or reasoning and logic to your arguments astounds me.

TOP 18 is VERY GOOD, but certainly a long way from EXCELLENT OR GREAT! That term is used for the top 5.

Archived