Skubal trade..Kjerstad, Mountcastle, McDermott and Bradfield?

Skubal trade  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Kjerstad, Mountcastle, Bradfield and McDermott for Skubal?

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

They can look at FA bat upgrades in the winter. 

Given how that worked out with Baez is that something that they are going to be willing to do?

I guess they could make a run at a player like Santander? Is he a true difference maker? Are they other difference making offensive players available? They need more than one bat? Their offense is bad.

Would their Harris/Greenberg who are relatively early in their tenures be willing to risk their jobs on the FA approach when they likely landed the jobs due to how the last FA approach (Baez signing) didn’t work out?

Two bats will cost what 30- 50 million increase in their payroll? Is that a risk that ownership will want to take for a team that is not currently/good competitive? 

11 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Given how that worked out with Baez is that something that they are going to be willing to do?

I guess they could make a run at a player like Santander? Is he a true difference maker? Are they other difference making offensive players available? They need more than one bat? Their offense is bad.

Would their Harris/Greenberg who are relatively early in their tenures be willing to risk their jobs on the FA approach when they likely landed the jobs due to how the last FA approach (Baez signing) didn’t work out?

Two bats will cost what 30- 50 million increase in their payroll? Is that a risk that ownership will want to take for a team that is not currently/good competitive? 

Their division is kind of crap.  They wouldn't have to go on a huge spending spree.  

But it brings up the question... Would they want a 1-1 trade in Holliday for Skubal, or something like EBJ, McDermott, Baumeister, Norby, and Stowers? Maybe even Urias too, if they want him.  I doubt the 5-1, or the 5-1 I just mentioned.  It looks very similar to the return we got for Machado.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

11 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Baez is really the only long term deal they have as bad as it is. 

I’m not saying the idea of dealing Skubal is wrong I just don’t think they will do it. They can try to add next year and if it doesn’t work move him next year. 

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Baez is really the only long term deal they have as bad as it is. 

I’m not saying the idea of dealing Skubal is wrong I just don’t think they will do it. They can try to add next year and if it doesn’t work move him next year. 

He could be hurt by then. And in a year’s time with only 1 1/2 seasons left of control, they most certainly will not be getting back a Jackson Holliday level prospect.

Their payroll is actually higher than ours this year. It would cost them a lot to just get into the serious playoff/contention discussion conversation (given how bad their offense is).

I’m not saying that they will trade him. But I’m certainly saying that if they can get a top flight prospect that they should. Their best projectable teams are not likely to come until 27’ and after (when Skubal is gone). 

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

He could be hurt by then. And in a year’s time with only 1 1/2 seasons left of control, they most certainly will not be getting back a Jackson Holliday level prospect.

Their payroll is actually higher than ours this year. It would cost them a lot to just get into the serious playoff/contention discussion conversation (given how bad their offense is).

I’m not saying that they will trade him. But I’m certainly saying that if they can get a top flight prospect that they should. Their best projectable teams are not likely to come until 27’ and after (when Skubal is gone). 

Of course. That is the risk they would be taking. Looks like they have about $35M coming off the books with a good many arbitration players next year. 

Your point is valid I’m just not sure they view it the same way.  

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I struggle with that logic from a DET perspective.

They are not good competitive this season. They can’t hit. What is likely to change next year for them? 

Their best position player prospects (while good) are at A ball currently.

Skubal only had 2 seasons after this of team control. And for every season that you wait it increases the likelihood of injury.

Furthermore, this is probably Skubal’s peak value. The longer they wait, the lesser the value that Skubal will have. Thus decreasing the chances that they can get a highest rated prospect like Holliday.

Rarely are guys rated as highly as Holliday traded because the top ranked prospects are usually on non-contending teams.

I would say if DET doesn’t trade Skubal now (before deadline) it’s unlikely that they would ever do better in return that Jackson Holliday now.

Oh definitely, if you or I or others were in charge of Tigers , we could likely would auction Skubal to highest bidder to jump start rebuilding Tigers . 
Agreed with you that Skubal is their largest asset & I’m all teams would love have a SP like him ( me included) . But you or me or anyone have no idea what the Tigers brass are planning .  Yes the longer they wait, the chance of injury or regression could occur . 

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Exactly. It takes two to make a deal and we don’t even know if Skubal is available. Plus, 75% of the league could talk themselves into buying.

Then if the Tigers want to make a deal then what would they want?  A 5-1 type deal to minimize risk?  

Fedde, Kikuchi, and Scherzer, are probably more realistic than Skubal. Obviously. Do we pay for the name recognition for Scherzer?  

About Skubal I concur with what you said about him . 
And speaking of Scherzer , at this point I don’t know if Rangers raised the white flag 🏳️ yet ( they lost last night ) .  I don’t know if name recognition helps or hurts the value of Scherzer. But while he is not the prime Scherzer, his three starts this month showed nice stats .  He has lots of postseason experience .  He’s being paid by Mets & Rangers and whoever team gets him is responsible for prorated five million left .