Skubal trade..Kjerstad, Mountcastle, McDermott and Bradfield?

Skubal trade  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Kjerstad, Mountcastle, Bradfield and McDermott for Skubal?

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It doesn’t matter if their issue is offense.  When a guy like Skubal is available, you consider it.

Roman Anthony and Teel for Boston. Seattle has multiple top 25 prospects.  They also have some pitching like Woo. 

Seattle does have 2. But they are position players. That’s the thing that they need… offense. 

Again, I don’t see how Skubal (maybe a little bit better pitching for them) gets them into being a serious World Series/best team in the AL status? They can’t hit.

And honestly the same is true for Boston. They have good pitching (though I contend with you that Skubal will improve Boston’s pitching at the top of the rotation - more than Seattle). But Boston needs offense IMO. And if they make that trade, they don’t have anything else to go get any offense.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Seattle does have 2. But they are position players. That’s the thing that they need… offense. 

Again, I don’t see how Skubal (maybe a little bit better pitching for them) gets them into being a serious World Series/best team in the AL status? They can’t hit.

And honestly the same is true for Boston. They have good pitching (though I contend with you that Skubal will improve Boston’s pitching at the top of the rotation - more than Seattle). But Boston needs offense IMO. And if they make that trade, they don’t have anything else to go get any offense.

The best player on the market would be Skubal and it’s not close. The biggest difference maker on the market would be Skubal and it’s not close.

sometimes, if the best you can do is double down on a strength, you do it.

Minnesota could also be a team that could do this.

And btw, the whole point is that the Os aren’t the only team that could put together a package led by a top 20 guy and a top 50 guy. Other teams could do it if they want to, so we need to stop acting like the Os are some unicorn and no one else can match them.

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

FWIW, Baseball America has Mayer at #10 and MLB Pipeline has him at #7.

At the beginning of last season 2023 (when Gunnar was the top rated prospect) Mayer was ranked #9, Holliday was ranked #12). With all the movement and graduations in 18 months, Mayer has only moved up two places in all that time. 

Something screams “fishy” to me. Like there was an initial mistake/over evaluation. Many players have jumped/passed him and graduated off the list. And there he still sits in relatively the same place. Kind of odd to me.

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If he has a 720 OPs at the end of this year, he’s just not worth tendering an offer to. Could you trade him? Maybe. You won’t likely get much but you might be able to.

The problem is what is he worth salary wise to another team in 2025.  That’s where it gets a little trickier.

Yea but why 720 ops why not even less, of course he could trend backup, that said hes at 771 ops, lets say he stays at that, which is OPS+ of 121, with GG caliber defense at 1B. Hes making 4 million this year. Whats his Arb 2 number, 7, 8 million? all things being equal to the above said if non tenederd, becomes FA no problem finding work at that money,Hes worth more than 0

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The best player on the market would be Skubal and it’s not close. The biggest difference maker on the market would be Skubal and it’s not close.

And btw, the whole point is that the Os aren’t the only team that could put together a package led by a top 20 guy and a top 50 guy. Other teams could do it if they want to, so we need to stop acting like the Os are some unicorn and no one else can match them.

Well, if Boston and/or Seattle would be willing to do that. More power to them!

Also, I never said the Orioles were a unicorn.

I just think that we are in a unique position given how good the Major League team already is and given how much position player talent we possess in the Minors. Combined with the state of affairs in MLB (with the dearth of offense) and given that we really need another pitcher to slot in for Bradish to give us the advantage over any/everyone.

18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

At the beginning of last season 2023 (when Gunnar was the top rated prospect) Mayer was ranked #9, Holliday was ranked #12). With all the movement and graduations in 18 months, Mayer has only moved up two places in all that time. 

Something screams “fishy” to me. Like there was an initial mistake/over evaluation. Many players have jumped/passed him and graduated off the list. And there he still sits in relatively the same place. Kind of odd to me.

If he’s in the top 10 he’s highly regarded.   Andrew Jones was pretty high and now he’s generally off a lot of lists entirely.    Whether you find it odd or not, he’s considered a top 10 prospect in all of baseball by many.    

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I'm sure Seattle is asking around out of due diligence but I doubt they end up making the best offer. There should be other teams including the O's who would be willing to pay more of a premium for pitching.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

SG , I concur with your statement on Skubal . However, have the Tigers announced his availability for trade ( publicly or privately) yet  ?   If Tigers won’t trade him , it wouldn’t make sense for Elias to keep pestering them . He needs to focus on available players 

Posted (edited)

If Skubal were available it would almost certainly cost one of the big 3 as the centerpiece. Something like one of Holliday, Mayo, Basallo + McDermott + Norby. That might even be light. Might have to swap DeLeon for Norby. 

So it’s pretty hilarious anyone voted no for the OP. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So if they would make it, you would say no?

They wouldn't make that trade. There isn't a chance in hell that they would, the proposal is so ridiculous that in good conscience I had to vote no. We're asking to trade for the best pitcher in the AL for Kjerstad and probably a bunch of nothing.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

They wouldn't make that trade. There isn't a chance in hell that they would, the proposal is so ridiculous that in good conscience I had to vote no. We're asking to trade for the best pitcher in the AL for Kjerstad and probably a bunch of nothing.

I agree they wouldn’t make it. I was asking the question for a reason and my suspicion was realized by this thread and the same poll question I asked on twitter.

Im surprised at how many said no but I also thought I would get more nos than I think should be.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree they wouldn’t make it. I was asking the question for a reason and my suspicion was realized by this thread and the same poll question I asked on twitter.

Im surprised at how many said no but I also thought I would get more nos than I think should be.

I mean, of course, SG if we're playing pretend you make that trade 100% of the time. I thought you were suggesting that those players get it done so I voted no based on that.

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If Skubal were available it would almost certainly cost one of the big 3 as the centerpiece. Something like one of Holliday, Mayo, Basallo + McDermott + Norby. That might even be light. Might have to swap DeLeon for Norby. 

So it’s pretty hilarious anyone voted no for the OP. 

The problem with Skubal is the injury history and lack of IP.

The “penalty” for going after him is that I wouldn’t offer any of our top 3 because of that.

I would trade more for him than Crochet because Skubal should be in the rotation this entire season and I feel a lot better about him being healthy and a top starter in 2025…but the threat of injury is real, so I’m not trading the top 3.