Pitching This Week

Right now, it shows Kremer starting tomorrow. I am hoping it ends up being Burnes so he can pitch tomorrow and then Sunday against New York. It would be a bit disappointing to me if Burnes didnt pitch again against the Yanks with a chance to really get a lead on them. He'd be on 4 day rest tomorrow, 4 day rest on Sunday, and then have the All Star break.

Seems like an easy decision if I was in charge....

They explicitly announced the rotation for the Cub series yesterday.   If they were going to start Burnes they would have said so then.   Barring some type of injury, it's not going to change.

If they didn't set-up Burnes to pitch vs NY when they were trailing them a couple of weeks ago, I don't think they're going to do it with, probably, a lead this weekend. By the way, Burnes could be in line for an all-star game start. I know this is an exhibition game but still quite a honor that he would probably like to be available for. 

They didn't do any of our imagined rotation reshuffling for the previous Yankees series. I'm guessing they won't this time either.

I think Burnes will start Wednesday, get his ASG inning, and then they'll use the break as a chance to skip/delay Suarez and Povich. Burnes/Rodriguez/Kremer in some order start in Texas weekend after the break. 

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

They didn't do any of our imagined rotation reshuffling for the previous Yankees series. I'm guessing they won't this time either.

I think Burnes will start Wednesday, get his ASG inning, and then they'll use the break as a chance to skip/delay Suarez and Povich. Burnes/Rodriguez/Kremer in some order start in Texas weekend after the break. 

I hope not. I like a day in between Burnes and Rodriguez. I like having balance in case of a Povich stinker.

2 hours ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

Right now, it shows Kremer starting tomorrow. I am hoping it ends up being Burnes so he can pitch tomorrow and then Sunday against New York. It would be a bit disappointing to me if Burnes didnt pitch again against the Yanks with a chance to really get a lead on them. He'd be on 4 day rest tomorrow, 4 day rest on Sunday, and then have the All Star break.

It’s a fair point.  Burnes’ career splits show no problem pitching on 4 days rest.

Which would mean that he starts the first game out of the break too.  So, he gets 3 starts in the span of 7 games. Much prefer that.

But they clearly want to give him the extra day.

From a psychological/mental edge perspective, I like not doing anything special when facing the Yankees. You make no changes and then keep whipping them straight up. Show them they are nobody/nothing special. Let them make more out of this series and keep putting pressure on themselves.

We have the mental edge over the "fragile Yankees" right now and I wouldn't want to do anything to give them any belief than anything is/has changed.

I loved how they hitter Gunnar last time and we didn't react. We just beat them. And then the next day we destroyed their best starter at the time (who was being talked about as AS starter and early Cy Young candidate). 

We don't need to make any special accommodations, changes, or adjustments to beat the Yankees. They are just another team on the schedule/in our way.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

The decision not to have Burnes going tomorrow so that he can go in the Yankees series is pretty baffling.  I wouldn't care if they even gave him extra rest after the break.  If we take 2/3 from the Yankees then they mathematically can't catch us for the h2h tiebreak.  If we get swept then we are dead even with them 5-5 with the last 3 games in NY.  They have Cole, Gil, and Rodon, lined up for us.  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The decision not to have Burnes going tomorrow so that he can go in the Yankees series is pretty baffling.  I wouldn't care if they even gave him extra rest after the break.  If we take 2/3 from the Yankees then they mathematically can't catch us for the h2h tiebreak.  If we get swept then we are dead even with them 5-5 with the last 3 games in NY.  They have Cole, Gil, and Rodon, lined up for us.  

I agree, they should have lined up the rotation better.  Also, giving him the start on Sunday would disqualify him from pitching in the ASG, which to me is a feature rather than a bug.  I want him pitching as many games as possible for Baltimore.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I agree, they should have lined up the rotation better.  Also, giving him the start on Sunday would disqualify him from pitching in the ASG, which to me is a feature rather than a bug.  I want him pitching as many games as possible for Baltimore.  

Burnes' wife had the baby in between starts.  I think Burnes would rather pitch for us than the ASG.  It would help his CY cause and help us.  

FWIW, the Yankees lost again tonight. They have played three additional games, but they are four behind in the loss column, so even if the Orioles lost all three of those games, we would still be ahead of them in the standings.

I would like Burns to pitch as much as possible, and the only logical reason for adjusting the rotation is that they just don’t want him to get tired.

Oh well.

1 hour ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

Still feel like this was a big mistake. And it may not have been the Orioles decision. GRod better have a good start Saturday or it could be a long 

59 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

FWIW, the Yankees lost again tonight. They have played three additional games, but they are four behind in the loss column, so even if the Orioles lost all three of those games, we would still be ahead of them in the standings.

I would like Burns to pitch as much as possible, and the only logical reason for adjusting the rotation is that they just don’t want him to get tired.

Oh well.