Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

9 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Crochet is not more desirable than Skubal, but his trade value is lower and the CWS are motivated to move him. All accounts are that DET is not motivated to move Skubal.

It’s not about which is more desirable, it’s about supply/demand and putting another commodity perceived to be on the supply side.

Best post of the entire thread. 

Lots of stuff here about Tigers’ fans wanting at least two of the top 3.  Part of the reason for that is they haven’t had the luck with top prospects the Orioles have had. Mize, Greene, and Torkelson were all Top5 MLB prospects.  Only one has panned out, and he isn’t that amazing.  So when you talk about prospects, they assume more of them will fail. 

Edited by baltfan

18 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Lots of stuff here about Tigers’ fans wanting at least two of the top 3.  Part of the reason for that is they haven’t had the luck with top prospects the Orioles have had. Mike, Greene, and Torkelson were all Top5 MLB prospects.  Only one has panned out, and he isn’t that amazing.  So when you talk about prospects, they assume more of them will fail. 

I had one Tigers fan on twitter trying to include Tork in a deal to get back more in trade. 

I reiterate I would not support throwing in much of value additionally if we're trading one of the big 3. Including Kjerstad/Norby or anyone of similar value in ADDITION to Holliday/Basallo for one pitcher is just insane to me. Elias should not even entertain it. There's no reason to completely gut our top tier farm for one player.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I had one Tigers fan on twitter trying to include Tork in a deal to get back more in trade. 

Because if he could convince you it was a good idea it would somehow become reality?

Tork would be an interesting project for the O's bat lab, but he'd have to come at an O'Hearn type price.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Makes sense.  They really have only hit on Skubel and he was considered the 3rd best of their pitching prospects.  People thought Torkelson was a sure thing.  Their fans tend to favor Holliday because they have had too many prospects that were supposed to be able to hit but were bad in the field. They think Basallo won’t stick at catcher and Mayo isn’t a good fielder. 

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t want to trade for Skubal in general, but it would be fun to somehow get Torkelson. There’s no way he’s as bad as what he’s been this year.

11 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

And Tigers fans are saying, not enough.

In telling you, these Tigers fans are absolutely nuts. They make the WS fans look sane.

Yeah, 105.7 is doing a poll right now asking if you would trade Holliday for Skubal straight up?  Last I heard the poll was 40% Yes, 60% No. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

14 hours ago, GoldGlove21 said:

If Skubal comes to Baltimore Basallo, Mayo, or Holliday will headline the package. The biggest advantage in a trade is that we have 3 top-15 overall prospects. The biggest disadvantages in dealing for Skubal is that Detroit really doesn't need to move him at all and that we have 3 top-15 overall prospects. They could be working with another team and want their top prospect who is 40 overall and then add on the 65th overall guy. With us they are holding out for one of those top 3 and I do not blame them. As of right now the Orioles have too many holes for a deep postseason run IMO. They are one starting pitcher injury away from losing control of this season.

So you can headline with Basallo and add Norby, Baumeister, and Arias. That seems pretty reasonable and doesn’t really hurt us that much besides Basallo. And I doubt other teams would beat that. They aren’t going to take the 40th and 65th overall guys over Basallo and Norby.

While I really like the idea of Basallo coming up and being a backup C/1B, splitting time between Adley and either Mountcastle or Mayo at first, I think we need to pull the trigger on a deal for the best pitcher we can get.  And if this gets us Skubal, I’m in. At the deadline, I think you need to factor in the volatility of pitchers and just get whoever is performing the best now, so Skubal would be at the top of my list. And we traded for Blake Hunt and just drafted a bunch of catchers, so if one of those guys pans out to be a decent backup, it doesn’t really hurt us that much if we extend Adley. If they have no intention of extending Adley, then maybe Basallo is off limits, but I think this package is definitely worth it for one of the best pitchers in baseball this year. 

Edited by RarityFlaherty

On 7/18/2024 at 8:28 AM, Bemorewins said:

How do we make ourselves into legit championship contenders without very good pitching?

Didn’t we see this move play out just last year? Are we putting all our hopes in Grayson and Kremer being better this time around? Does that not seem a little risky?

it seems to me that we got swept out of the playoffs last year because we didn’t hit as much as anything. Yes, the pitching also failed us, but Grayson did too and I assume you are not flushing him out of our rotation going forward. Texas was just unconcious hot. We hit a freight train. That is what happens over and over again in the playoffs. I want to get many years of postseason baseball hoping that we can be the train a couple of times.

6 minutes ago, theobird said:

it seems to me that we got swept out of the playoffs last year because we didn’t hit as much as anything. Yes, the pitching also failed us, but Grayson did too and I assume you are not flushing him out of our rotation going forward. Texas was just unconcious hot. We hit a freight train. That is what happens over and over again in the playoffs. I want to get many years of postseason baseball hoping that we can be the train a couple of times.

I agree. I don't want to gut the Farm System for one shot.

30 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I agree. I don't want to gut the Farm System for one shot.

One thing to consider is what if the Yankees and Sawx get aggressive.  Elias might not have the luxury of those two being passive at the deadline like last season.  

11 hours ago, survivedc said:

I don’t want to trade for Skubal in general, but it would be fun to somehow get Torkelson. There’s no way he’s as bad as what he’s been this year.

I'm in favor of a Skubal trade (depending on the return, not anything the Tigers fans are asking for of course), but it would be absolutely hilarious to me if Mountcastle and Torkelson swap as part of it and next year Torkelson pulls a Ryan O'Hearn and turns into a productive player. That's the sort of thing I would expect the Orioles to be on the opposite side of in years past (see Jake Arrieta), but it would be hilarious to be on the winning side.